• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveC

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "I was told once that if the barrels are unhinged from the stock then it’s legal to keep but if barrels are mounted back on it then it’s a violation."

If this was a trusted and reliable source, what has changed for you to ask the question again? If this is that important to you ask the ATF the same hypothetical question and get a letter head reply of their answer to cover your choice to display. Any answer to the question from someone on this forum, peace officer or not, will not keep you out of jail if you choose to ignore good legal advise. Sounds like you've had good advise all along.

How true. Additionally, if you asked 6 different ATF compliance agents, you would get 6 different answers and any of them could decide that you are in violation even if you can reference an email from another agent. You might check the ATF website & use their search function to see if they have issued an official letter on some similar inquiry.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One can hear all sorts of advice from lawyers and laypeople.
    This fellow the Fudd Busters says you should not err on the side of caution with the ATF and go by what the laws literally says and not what ATF says it is.
    As a little guy that wants no trouble I do self regulate myself beyond what the law may actually require. And he is right I am inflicting gun control on myself.
    But with this new administration I certainly will not be playing any games of chicken with them.
    Do not have a part in your possession that installation is only slipping it back on. Called constructive intent. A good lawyer might get you off since it presumes guilt, even if you have not done it yet. After a successful defense, the lawyer fees and court costs are on you for a criminal case last I heard. If the defense is unsuccessful you still pay the costs and could get fined, sentenced, and become a felon.
    Just not worth it for what you might gain.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Be carefull with the term "firearm". The feds/BATFE aren't the only ones that use it or have their own Laws and a definition for it. States and local govs frequently define it differently, some places include Black Powder and BB/Pellet guns. So you would need to check Arkansas and every state you would move the item through to get it home, if that a possibility.

Sandspur6

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Call the local BATF and ask them what would have to be done to render it into a legal display item. If you are not comfortable calling them from your own phone, go to the airport and use a pay phone. I think that welding the breech closed would suffice, but I'm not the BATF, and what THEY think is what really counts.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I don’t have the old gun, relative said he wants to leave it to me when he passes, but I’d have to go to Arkansas to get it when the time came and don’t know when that would be or if I even would make the trip due to the distance and I still work for a living, hope that doesn’t sound ugly or disrespectful. One of my buddies said if I ever got it to just put spray foam in the barrels, not a bad idea...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "If" it falls under NFA, Spray Foam (expanding adhesive) doesn't meet the requirement for removing it from NFA Regulation. Neither would filling the barrels with "JB Weld" or pooring lead down the barrels. ATF required methods were previously posted but its not my monkey, not my circus, your choice.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Wildrider, from what I have read, short barreled muzzleloading black powder shotguns are not illegal to own under federal law and no tax-stamped permit is required. I don’t understand why you keep kicking the can.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wildrider, from what I have read, short barreled muzzleloading black powder shotguns are not illegal to own under federal law and no tax-stamped permit is required. I don’t understand why you keep kicking the can.
    I'm of the same opinion but only ATF's matters, that why I posted their info earlier. When I read your "One of my buddies said if I ever got it to just put spray foam in the barrels, not a bad idea..." I don't understand it. If your sure it's non NFA, there's no reason to spray foam it. If you think it is NFA, spray foam won't shield you from criminal liability. And lastly its not my call, its your decision because of the mixed signals I read.

Top Bottom