• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He’s been threatening people left and right. He also told us at an HOA meeting “ I will pull you over if you pass me going 5 mph in the neighborhood.” Our speed limit is 25. I guess he just feels if he flexes, people will just do as he says. I appreciate the feedback

You have Barnie Fife living in your neighborhood?

Seriously, if he keeps it up call the SO and file a formal complaint. Most deputies are great people doing a thankless shitty job; and then there are ass clowns like this guy.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, now it’s come down to the HOA. Apparently, I will have to have an engineer come out and inspect to make sure a berm wouldn’t affect stormwater runoff. Always something. Never cut and dry. That will of course cost an arm and a leg.

SteveC

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did. I provided the statute, 790.15. He agreed it is state law, but, “there is a county ordinance!” He said. I researched all the ordinances on firearm use on private property(surprise! None to be found). My neighbors are ok with my shooting range. Been shooting here for over two years and not one complaint.

As Sawman stated, make sure you have a printed copy of the law on hand to show LEOs who arrive to investigate the shooting your neighbors may report. LEOs are not lawyers and often go on less than stellar legal footing to diffuse situations in the field since this is their job, rather than knowing the finer points of every State & Federal law & country ordinance on the books. Just because something is legal does not guarantee that you will not be written a ticket or taken into custody by an officer looking to do the right thing. Sadly, it happens every day.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Although it is legal, I’d have to jump through hoops for the HOA’s approval. That would be the only way law enforcement would have anything on me. They want a written inspection proving the berm won’t hinder stormwater runoff. And after that I will have to submit an architectural approval application.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like Fife got the HOA's attention and action. Got anything in the HOA Rules on construction of out buildings, sheds or seperate garage's? if allowable, how do those structures surface area coverage compare to your berm size in SQFT? In PCB, there's a Code that restricts non porous ground cover like concrete/asphalt to no more than 50% of property's total SQFT. Includes buildings, driveways, paths, patios, pools and so forth. I believe this is the reason for all the water catch basins in/near dense construction and massive parking lots. I can't imagine with your property size a primarily dirt berm is a "water run off" issue.

Next, the HOA will hit you with a noise complaint. Anything over XX decibels or a catchall "frequency of use" disrupts the "tranquilty" of the community. The frequency of use issue hurts a comparison defense to other noise generating items like mowers, vehicles and parties. Probably a Ctch 22 General Nuisance Rule in the By-Laws too or they could create and Vote for something that would ban Ranges. Sad too is your probably paying dues and they have authority to Fine you.

If you find out Fife is using his "professional opinion" (under Color of Law but not I.A.W. Statutes) to sway or force actions against you by manipulating the position of the HOA and his track record of intimidation by shutting down other lawful Ranges: I believe you can have his ass on a silver platter.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Although it is legal, I’d have to jump through hoops for the HOA’s approval. That would be the only way law enforcement would have anything on me. They want a written inspection proving the berm won’t hinder stormwater runoff. And after that I will have to submit an architectural approval application.
    Does the HOA have the same requirements for ALL verticle and horizontal construction? Every house, shed, shop, RV Pad, above ground pool ect? Do current By-laws require it or are you and Range owners getting harrassed?

Read the County Code on construction and water runoff. You probably won't even be close to the limits in the Code, therefore the HOA's bullshit issue is unreasonable. Per building code.

Last edited:

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve been shooting out here for almost two years. I’ve had not one complaint. Of course I do it outside of the “noise ordinance “ times to be courteous. The covenant paperwork doesn’t have specific language on the noise ordinances or else the jack wagons across the street would’ve been hemmed up on New Years for their fireworks being shot until 0100 and being shot over peoples houses.
    The language about buildings/structures is the issue on paper due to the specific language. It covers permanent and temporary structures. No specific language on berms. Just a catch 22 situation with the water runoff language

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was a retired “cop” that brought up this crap

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I literally have 30-40 acres of wetlands behind me. There isn’t any stormwater runoff
    The only time a small berm like yours is going to be a problem is if it blocks the movement of storm water. Last year some yahoos were moving a house and they built a ramp that blocked a road side drainage ditch and flood people up gradient from the ramp. Some digging a small ditch through the fill dirt would have allowed the water pass.
    They could claim that your berm itself could release sediments. If the run-off thing is coming from the HOA I would wonder just how legal it is if the state and county were not in on it.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some retired folks will go to great lengths to prove they are just as big of asshole as they were when the were still working.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Exactly. Good news is I can have one and don’t need approval. Bad news is I have to shorten my range by 25 feet. Talked to the Architectural head, and he said I can’t build on the back 25 feet due to a county rule of not disturbing a natural vegetation barrier. So, back down to 50 yards from 70

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Talked to the Architectural head, and he said I can’t build on the back 25 feet due to a county rule of not disturbing a natural vegetation barrier. So, back down to 50 yards from 70

Dude, you are getting your butt handed to you because of this HOA horse crap! Reason 10,001 to never buy in one! They are throwing every crappy thing at you and hopping it sticks! Just go down to "Better Call Saul" Joe Lawyer and send your HOA and the schmuck pulling all the strings a letter saying you are following all the laws and rules and back off! A lot of times, threats from these types of people only respond to threats also! You either shut the crap show down or you'll be the one everyone gangs up against in the area because of the dummy that started this stuff.

I live in the "show me" state when it comes to this BS. Show me the county rule!

I don't see anything in there regarding anything you can't do on your property unless it's an HOA thing. And then I'm back to reason 10,002!

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Again,

Why I would never agree to live in any HOA!!! Those folks have way too much time on their hands and will always try to make your life miserable.

IMO, most of the HOA committees and self appointed guardians of the HOA laws are transplanted yankees who miss the overbearing attitude and rules from where they came from...

Top Bottom