• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All I needed was confirmation that I am in the “right” and I got it. I won’t be shooting until I make it more safe for me to shoot out there. I have sandbags That I will be putting up. 100 50# bags to be exact
    For above the berm to catch stray rounds I have seen people erect structures with the 3.5-4.5 inch space between two layers of plywood filled with gravel. At one range when tested it stopped standard 30-06 ball ammo and a 416 rem mag was mostly stopped with some fragments lodging in the other layer of plywood.
    I saw something like being used on the Monsanto range, but people had shot into it repeatedly and the gravel was spilling unto the ground. It is only meant to catch a stray or AD type round and not as a general backstop.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The law has been thoroughly researched. Also, it has been cited to this guy. The county confirmed what I already know. That it is in fact not illegal to have a personal shooting range. I could care less if he is butt hurt. I have witnesses to him trespassing, harassing and threatening me. I already have plans in the making of going over his head, and getting the word out to the other residents here. I just need to go overkill on the safety of my range before I act.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree
    Never threaten violence against anyone with the exception if they are committing a violent crime against you or yours.

The smarter LEOs will specifically stay out of neighborhood squabbles. A friend of mine when he was still a deputy in Escambia county specifically told another friend that he was not going to get involved with some punk that was driving too fast past his home. He I think is fully retired now.
    Currently there is that mess in Georgia over a former LEO and DA investigator and his son while making a citizens arrest killing a jogger.
    Neighborhood disputes can prove deadly. The Texas killing over that mattress and the dumpster is still in the courts.

View attachment 84746

I remember watching the video pictured...it was a 4 way clusterflop on all sides.
    The bunghole in the orange shirt was suicidaly stupid and got what he asked for.
    The shirtless guys were total morons for letting the guy get to them on the dirt road instead of in their yard.
    The girlfriend taking the video was egging the whole thing on.
    Frankly believe the survivors should all be spayed or neutered as too foolish to ever be allowed to reproduce.
    It is an excellent example of What Not To Do during a neighborhood dispute on all sides.
    YMMV :D

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The law has been thoroughly researched. Also, it has been cited to this guy. The county confirmed what I already know. That it is in fact not illegal to have a personal shooting range. I could care less if he is butt hurt. I have witnesses to him trespassing, harassing and threatening me. I already have plans in the making of going over his head, and getting the word out to the other residents here. I just need to go overkill on the safety of my range before I act.

Here's the thing about bad/over-reaching cops...they can make your life Miserable.
    Bear in mind that some of them are simply suicidal and looking for a way to
    "go out on the job so the family gets the insurance".
    You might look like the kind of guy that could make that happen for him,
    and that can also cause you intense issues for YEARS.
    Really won't matter if you are in the wrong or right on that...
    its a total squishstorm if you shoot a cop, even if in the right.

Better have that CCW SAFE insurance as well. (good idea for anyone)

Put up a good, tall concrete block fence and use a can.
    Try to schedule your shooting when he's not in the neighborhood :)

One other thing...is it possible that he's not happy about your range
    because he's on Night Duty and trying to sleep when you are shooting??
    (Another reason to have a nice 8' tall concrete block fence...
    I hear NOTHING from the neighbors ;) )

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's the thing about bad/over-reaching cops...they can make your life Miserable.
    Bear in mind that some of them are simply suicidal and looking for a way to
    "go out on the job so the family gets the insurance".
    You might look like the kind of guy that could make that happen for him,
    and that can also cause you intense issues for YEARS.
    Really won't matter if you are in the wrong or right on that...
    its a total squishstorm if you shoot a cop, even if in the right.

Better have that CCW SAFE insurance as well. (good idea for anyone)

Put up a good, tall concrete block fence and use a can.
    Try to schedule your shooting when he's not in the neighborhood :)

One other thing...is it possible that he's not happy about your range
    because he's on Night Duty and trying to sleep when you are shooting??
    (Another reason to have a nice 8' tall concrete block fence...
    I hear NOTHING from the neighbors ;) )
    I do have a 50 ft range under the house for .22 that I am not using. The house was constructed off grade and is of reinforced concrete block. I probably need a professional bullet trap if I want to go larger. I have hole in the ground there for testing firing larger calibers, but it really raises some dust when I do that. I need to do a little more work on it relative to fire suppression (unburnt powder is a firehazard) and sealing it off better relative to the vents letting noise get outside. I have a 5/16" plate and behind it about 20 inches in walls of reinforced concrete. More than adequate for .22 rf.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I live far enough away from that guy. About half a mile. He works during the day. He is just a dick. In previous posts I said he does it to everyone. I can not put up a wall. It’s against HOA rules. Who said anything about defending myself against him in that way? I will do it the proper way. Have the patriots and freedom lovers in the neighborhood stand together. Once I can get the info out to everyone.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Get a lawyer to file discovery then the sheriff will have to provide any ordinance in addition. Arguing your case on your property is how you wind up on the news. And the folks saying the county cant add an additional ordinance is incorrect. City, county and state can make ordinance stricter but not less stringent than federal law.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The states attorney already went after the county for contradictory ordinances. Everything was repealed. The county told me I am ok as long as I am in compliance with the law. The governor signed legislation into law stating “local government can not make any laws that contradict the states laws.”

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Who decides or defines what a "proper backstop" consists of? The SO just added to the already grey area. I did a search for Range Backstop Specs they're dozens of them ranging from the Dept of Energy, Universities, building firms and others. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just watching your "SIX".

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I appreciate it. My backstop as of now consists of logs and tires. It stops everything I throw at it. 45-70, 6.5 Grendel, etc. I will be going overkill with sandbags as soon as I get them and fill and stack them. As far as I understand, as long as the projectile is being stopped it’s “proper.” But the “standard” goes off the NRA specs from every place (range) I have been to

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Who decides or defines what a "proper backstop" consists of? The SO just added to the already grey area. I did a search for Range Backstop Specs they're dozens of them ranging from the Dept of Energy, Universities, building firms and others. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just watching your "SIX".
    The normal gold standard would be what the NRA considers adequate. I do not have the link handy; the NRA has such information. I am not sure if it is free or not. They would be my first source.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think a proper backstop is pretty self explanatory. Why not just a good ole fashion dirt berm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Having what amounts to an engineering endorsement of what you built in that it complies with basic recognized practices is needed. A berm for example is to have a certain thickness for rifle fire.
    There are many other materials that are used, especially when you want the berm to be higher. Basic engineering practices mean that soils have limites relative to presenting steep slopes. I know that the ERCG for example has purchased used bundles of tires for some parts of their berms.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m no engineer, but if you have piled dirt high enough to make a backstop, then I promise you it is thick enough to stop bullets. Dirt don’t need any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The OP wants to demonstrate that according to recognized 'SOP' he has fulfilled what is required. In safety legalities you want to demonstrate that you are at some recognized standard. Not the same as getting a qualified state certitified professional engineer to sign off on it, but should be enough to reassure any reasonable person that it will safetly function as intended for the purpose at hand.

Top Bottom