• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So, I had a Sheriff in my neighborhood tell me I can not have a shooting range due to an ordinance that I am unable to find. State Law says I can due to everyone having more than one acre and shooting in a safe manner. Does anyone know of this ordinance? Apparently, it’s an Okaloosa county ordinance.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Google is your friend.
    DO NOT take the word of any one person. If you start shooting and the law shows up you MUST have hard copy info ready to show them. This,with specific laws that pertain. Enything that you can use to help yourself prove your point. --- SAWMAN

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Google is your friend.
    DO NOT take the word of any one person. If you start shooting and the law shows up you MUST have hard copy info ready to show them. This,with specific laws that pertain. Enything that you can use to help yourself prove your point. --- SAWMAN
    I did. I provided the statute, 790.15. He agreed it is state law, but, “there is a county ordinance!” He said. I researched all the ordinances on firearm use on private property(surprise! None to be found). My neighbors are ok with my shooting range. Been shooting here for over two years and not one complaint.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also know that no county, city, or local government can make a “law” that is not in line with state law

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you are within the state law, you are good! There is no county ordinance and if there was, they would be in violation of state law!

I'm up in Baker. So I'm up in the part of Okaloosa county where everyone has a shooting range out back. But sorry to all the Deputies out there, because it's impossible to know all the laws, but they don't know them all and usually when one of them is making up an "ordinance" or "law" that is not there, they are trying to impose their opinion or view point! He probably doesn't want you shooting because "he/she" does not like it!

I always go straight to the show me state! If someone tells me I can or can't do something that I think is different than I know, I simply say show me. I have been wrong and right on all kinds of matters.

Last edited:

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you are within the state law, you are good! There is no county ordinance and if there was, they would be in violation of state law!

I'm up in Baker. So I'm up in the part of Okaloosa county where everyone has a shooting range out back. But sorry to all the Deputies out there, because it's impossible to know all the laws, but they don't know them all and usually when one of them is making up an "ordinance" or "law" that is not there, they are trying to impose their opinion or view point! He probably doesn't want you shooting because "he/she" does not like it!

I always go straight to the show me state! If someone tells me I can or can't do something that I think is different than I know, I simply say show me. I have been wrong and right on all kinds of matters.
    That’s what I told him. Thanks

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He also told me, “you will be arrested on paper.” “It’s a civil matter.” This guy is a joke. I told him I will file a complaint and have my lawyer file something for trespassing and harassment.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He also told me, “you will be arrested on paper.” “It’s a civil matter.” This guy is a joke. I told him I will file a complaint and have my lawyer file something for trespassing and harassment.

I have three Okaloosa Deputies in my little hood area in Baker! They are awesome folks and families etc... They do not get involved in anything in the area! They know it's best not to piss in their own water around them here! Maybe different where you live! But a few think they can throw their weight around where they live I suppose. Sounds like what I said before, he doesn't like it and he's trying to throw around the BS flag and hope you bite!

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have three Okaloosa Deputies in my little hood area in Baker! They are awesome folks and families etc... They do not get involved in anything in the area! They know it's best not to piss in their own water around them here! Maybe different where you live! But a few think they can throw their weight around where they live I suppose. Sounds like what I said before, he doesn't like it and he's trying to throw around the BS flag and hope you bite!
    He’s been threatening people left and right. He also told us at an HOA meeting “ I will pull you over if you pass me going 5 mph in the neighborhood.” Our speed limit is 25. I guess he just feels if he flexes, people will just do as he says. I appreciate the feedback

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He’s been threatening people left and right. He also told us at an HOA meeting “ I will pull you over if you pass me going 5 mph in the neighborhood.” Our speed limit is 25. I guess he just feels if he flexes, people will just do as he says. I appreciate the feedback

Hmmmm, in an HOA, there may be the problem! Any HOA rules against shooting on the properties? I will never live in an HOA!

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmmmm, in an HOA, there may be the problem! Any HOA rules against shooting on the properties? I will never live in an HOA!
    No HOA rules against it. My neighbors are ok with it. I was told that I could before I moved here. Just needed to have the ok from the neighbors. I didn’t want to move here, but my wife wanted to be here for the kids.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No HOA rules against it. My neighbors are ok with it. I was told that I could before I moved here. Just needed to have the ok from the neighbors. I didn’t want to move here, but my wife wanted to be here for the kids.

If no HOA rules against it and within FL laws, you don't need neighbor's permission either. Although if you are close enough like I think you are, it might be the neighborly thing to do. I also live in an area where we all have 1-4 acres mostly. I shoot my .22 in the backyard sometimes. But for the bigger stuff, I go to more property that I can let loose and not worry about bothering anyone. But gun shots up here in Baker mean we are still good. Not that we need to duck and cover!

Are you in the south end of Okaloosa? Sounds like it.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m north of Crestview. Laurel Hill, but not within city limits. I just let my neighbors know I would make a shooting range and they were all for it. That was the neighborly thing to do.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’m north of Crestview. Laurel Hill, but not within city limits. I just let my neighbors know I would make a shooting range and they were all for it. That was the neighborly thing to do.
    Keep records of everything, it will make things easier if this guy tries to overstep his authority.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Oh hell, go tell him to pound sand! Don't get caught up in any city limits BS either. No city can make gun restrictions more stringent than the state laws! FL is a state of preemption on all things firearms related.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is the law:

790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—

(4) Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:
    (a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;
    (b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or
    (c) To a person who accidentally discharges a firearm.

Bthomp83

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh hell, go tell him to pound sand! Don't get caught up in any city limits BS either. No city can make gun restrictions more stringent than the state laws! FL is a state of preemption on all things firearms related.
    I know it, brother. Preaching to the choir. Hell, I met another neighbor yesterday(retired police) and he asked if he could come over and shoot. I said absolutely. I’m all about spreading freedom seeds. I served our country to help preserve that right.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I lived in Laurel Hill, outside city limits. It was a "development", but no HOA. Zoning was residential/ rural. No laws against shooting on your own property. My neighbors and I practiced common sense and common courtesy, and there was never a problem. I only ever saw a Sheriff's deputy there when there was a medical emergency.

Top Bottom