• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a new Winchester 92 (Miroku) in .357 magnum that is very difficult to load. My reloads (158gr SWC) are almost impossible to load thru the loading gate. I made up some dummy rds with 148 gr LRN and they were a little easier. Is this a common problem with the new 92s? I can always make up some new ammo with different bullets. What works best: round nose, round nose flat point or truncated cone? Is this something a local smith could resolve? I have an older '94 in 44mag and have never had a problem with that rifle.

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have a new Winchester 92 (Miroku) in .357 magnum that is very difficult to load. My reloads (158gr SWC) are almost impossible to load thru the loading gate. I made up some dummy rds with 148 gr LRN and they were a little easier. Is this a common problem with the new 92s? I can always make up some new ammo with different bullets. What works best: round nose, round nose flat point or truncated cone? Is this something a local smith could resolve? I have an older '94 in 44mag and have never had a problem with that rifle.
    You might look at aftermarket loading gate. Lighter spring weight,! Helped me with a lever .

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Is the loading gate hard to push down or is it hard to push the rounds into the magazine against the spring?

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Fairly common problem with leverguns being sensitive to bullet profile &/or cartridge overall length . SWC's because of sharp shoulder is often an offender as are some WFN . RNFP , LFN or WLN profile & seating depth can help . New gun check for burrs , high points , rough edges etc . Little fluff n buff & I like to put moly paste on action parts & cycle action a bunch . Reduces friction & burnishes itself into metal surface . NECO , TWB25 , Action Magic etc.

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you have some A-Zoom snap caps (the maroon aluminum ones) in either 38 special or 357 magnum, try loading those. (At least you wouldn't be crushing/affecting live ammo)

It would let you concentrate on the loading gate and the mag tube spring "feel" without worrying about the ammo.

The shorter OAL of the snapcaps might also give some input, too.

Look at the snapcaps closely before they enter and after they're ejected. Scrapes and nicks will tell a story of rough machined internals, etc.

That's what I'd try first.

Wdlechner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a gun smith I love the 92 levers and if you need help I can make loading and action so butter soft plus drop your trigger pull to 3 lb. you would not know it is the same gun. I have one in 357 and one in 44 mag. both have one finger action. call 251-979-4607 and leave a message

ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the offer but the '92 has become a safe queen. One of those guns I thought I really wanted but it's just not as handy as I expected it would be. My M1 carbine is much more user friendly and 30 carbine and 357 mag are ballistically similar.

Top Bottom