• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flyin&Fishin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I've looked on various forums around the web, but haven't found an answer yet. Is there a way to modify a case if it has too much headspace (assuming my understanding of headspace is correct)? I'll be firing them through a bolt action, so my understanding is that any round fired through my rifle should have the headspace already set. I picked up a couple cases at the range though, and when I put them empty into the action, the bolt doesn't close. Are they useless to me, or can I modify the headspace at all? I can't see any difference in the cases from those that fit, and the difference in length was something like 0.002" (can't recall offhand and it's all put away right now). Thanks in advance for any help. I see it becoming an addictive hobby, and it might be the only way to keep shooting these days!

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are not yet clear on headspace.
    Headspace is the distance that a rifle allows between the the bolt face and the chamber....sort of. It can be complicated, but all you need to know for now is that you don't have to worry about it unless you are building a rifle from scratch, or have an antique which might be worn or have mismatched parts.
    The reason that the fired brass wont fit is that it has been expanded to fit the chamber of the rifle it was fired in. You need to full length resize it and trim it back to factory length.....then it can be reloaded and will fit into your rifle. Since you are using a bolt action rifle, you should keep track of the brass that has been fire in YOUR rifle......you will NOT need to full length resize....only trim and neck size. These have been formed to YOUR chamber and will be more accurate than factory rounds. Neck sized rounds can NOT be fired in another rifle than they were last shot.

Last edited:

Flyin&Fishin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you for your help. Now I will research the difference between full length resizing and neck sizing. I had picked up the Hornady manual when I bought the press, but so far am somewhat disappointed in it. I guess there are so many cartridges to cover, they can't spend a lot of time on each. I will check out the Lyman manual when I get a chance though.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Personally.....I would not be able to even start to give you advise untill you supply one of the very most important pieces of information......what chambering are you referring to ?? Different chamberings headspace different ways. Rim,shoulder,belt,etc. --- SAWMAN

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://leeprecision.com/how-do-i-start-reloading/selecting-the-right-die-set-for-your-needs.html

http://leeprecision.com/help-videos.html
    Here are a few links that will help you gain some knowledge ..These are for Lee equipment, but the basics are what you are after and they will be the same.
    Just to clarify.... the full length resizing die does just what it sounds like - it resizes the entire case back to factory dimensions. It will still need to be checked/trimmed to overall length.
    A Neck sizing die only reshapes the neck of a fired case so that it is ready to accept a bullet. The rest of the case is left untouched. A case that is neck sized only will only fit into the rifle it was last fired.
    If you are reloading for a specific -bolt action rifle ...neck sizing is the way to go. If you are loading for multiple rifles or auto loaders , then you have to full length size everything.
    The lee rifle die kits come with both dies in the kit.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Headspace is the distance between the closed and locked bolt face and the head of the case. As a weapon is fired and wear begins this distance increases to a point where excess space will cause the case to rupture. This may be after hundreds of thousands of rounds.

If your fired cases do not fit back in the chamber it is most likely the case mouth that has stretched. This is why they make neck sizing dies. These dies only size the case neck and mouth leaving the rest as fired. Accuracy shooters do this with their ammo for utmost precision. This however is not acceptable for autoloading rifles, those must be full lenght sized everytime.

However, if you rifle already has excessive headspace you could risk a case rupture, not good. If you suspect this I would certainly take it to a gunsmith and have the headspace checked. The old British Enfields were notorious for excessive headspace so they make replacement bolt heads in various sizes to compensate. Other rifles will need either a new barrel or machining and rechambering the old one.

Rick

Flyin&Fishin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wear is definitely not an issue, I bought the rifle new last year, and it has 20-30 rounds through it. I did in fact full length resize the cases, but they still don't fit. I have not trimmed them yet, as I have not been able to find the case length gauge yet. It is a .30-06, and it seems a lot of online retailers are out of that caliber. I'll be looking locally this weekend, otherwise I have found some sites that have it in stock now. Hopefully the problem will be alleviated once the cases are trimmed.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, if you haven't trimmed them they are probably too long. Trimming brass with a case lenght gauge is pretty rough. I suggest some type of case trimmer and a good set of calipers, you'll need those to properly set the round OAL anyway. The Lee trimmer system is fairly cheap and I heard works great.

BTW, I wasn't saying your rifle is worn out, I was just explaining how headspace can change over one's life.

Rick

Flyin&Fishin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all your help. It looks like the problem was that the very bottom of the case was not resized. Probably a function of die setting more than anything else. Shells fit now that didn't before, so progress has been made.

Top Bottom