• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just got this blast from my friend in Arkansas, looks promising but we all know how these things can turn out:

Maybe one of the most spectacular meteor displays that you have ever seen awaits
    next
    Friday night/Saturday morning as the Earth passes through the debris trail of
    comet
    209P/ LINEAR.
    The "Camelopardalid Meteor Shower" will peak around midnight, May 23-24, very
    favorable for North America.

This is a brand new meteor shower and estimates go up into the hundreds in terms
    of
    meteors seen per hour.

Complete details and observing guide at the Arkansas Sky Observatories' website:
    http://www.arksky.org/smf/index.php/topic,2331.0.html

Please let me know if you observe and what you see from your locations!

------------
    Dr. Clay

Arkansas Sky Observatories
    http://www.arksky.org/
    ASO Petit Jean Mountain /MPC H41
    ASO Petit Jean Mountain South /MPC H45
    ASO West Conway /MPC H43
    .......serving astronomy since 1971

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This could be one of the best light shows to we will ever have the opportunity to watch. Lord willing I'll be outside in a lounge chair watching this one as it's forecast to be better than the Leonids and the Perseids. From latinpost.com Stargazers living in the southern states of the U.S. will get a better view of the event, Carol Stewart, astronomer at the Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium in Fort Myers, Florida, told USA Today.

In Florida the meteors will come in at us from a lower altitude Stewart said. "Those are called 'Earth-grazers,' and they're longer-lasting and run farther across the sky."

The moon, which will be a waning crescent, will not rise until after 3 a.m. on May 24 and won't affect the meteor shower. The best time to view the shower will be between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. but the shower could start much earlier, Stewart said.

"They could start as soon as it gets dark the night of the 23rd," she said. "I'm going to go out and check every hour. We don't know because this is the first time, and I don't want to miss it."

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Amen on the clear skies I was bummed out when the last eclipse was obscured by the clouds, hope to have my grandsons in the backyard with me and the wife.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hadn't witnessed a good one since the 07 Orionids, that was a big surprise show. The 66 and 99 Leonids are still tops on my list, so far.

Rick

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    99 was an awesome show from the bed of a pick-up and 07 wasn't shabby but in 66 momma had my 9 year old butt in bed. :)

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, 99 was the best. I watched laying on a stack of plywood. I was at the Chiefland Star Party for the 07 Orionids, good dark skies. My father drug my 12 year old ass out of bed for the 66 shower, it was as spectacular as the 99s, maybe better but I really wasn't fully aware of what I was seeing.

Jupiter, Mars and Saturn will all be visible at some point during the night as well, waning cresent moon will rise about 0300 and won't be bright enough to affect viewing.

Rick

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom