DK Firearms

New member, here to find protection for myself and my daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Honney

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just moved back into my home after having been robbed multiple times within the span of one week. I work 65-70 hours a week (easy target, nobody home) my cameras were down the first 2 times due to a hurricane here in Pensacola last year. 3rd robbery, power was on, cameras caught them in the act while I phoned police and watched. (Caught around corner on crutches due to shooting himself in the foot with the gun he stole from me during st robbery)They created MASSIVE damage to my home. I was living alone at that time and was at work. After they were sentenced to prison, I moved back into my home. My eldest daughter (20) has since moved in with me and we need protection. We are both rather small framed but strong and agile. Looking for something small-ish but it's GOTTA pack a punch. If I shoot someone to protect the two of us, I don't want to slow them down. I want to stop them in their tracks. I absolutely LOVE my house.... but I had NO IDEA the neighborhood I moved into until ALL pizza delivery places said they wouldn't deliver to this neighborhood and why. (That was pre-covid)
    I would really like to obtain my concealed carry permit and I would like something "no show" to keep on my person as well, I don't believe I will be making those 2 purchases at the same time. Depending on the price, that decision may change.

Honney

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You've got a few options available to both of you. But I highly, highly recommend some type of training or classes for the both of you. The best gun in the world won't help you out I you don't know how to use it in a stressful situation.
    With that being said I'm a huge fan of a semi auto 9mm handgun with 124 grain hollowpoints (glock 19, 17, anything in the smith and Wesson m&p line up, Sig Sauer are all good brands). A revolver is also a decent option. Something in a .38 spl or .357 magnum (again using hollowpoint ammunition). My last recommendation is a good ol fashion pump shotgun. For smaller stature people, I highly recommend a good 20 gauge. With the right ammo and at certain distances, a 20 gauge hits just as hard as a .44 magnum.

I hope this helps. It's a great starting point. There are other members on here that are far more qualified than I am to speak on this. Sorry about the bad luck you've had lately. I'm very familiar with growing up and living in a bad area as well. If you have anymore questions at all, please feel free to reach and ask. That's what we're here for.
    I have had some experience with quite a few different firearms
    You've got a few options available to both of you. But I highly, highly recommend some type of training or classes for the both of you. The best gun in the world won't help you out I you don't know how to use it in a stressful situation.
    With that being said I'm a huge fan of a semi auto 9mm handgun with 124 grain hollowpoints (glock 19, 17, anything in the smith and Wesson m&p line up, Sig Sauer are all good brands). A revolver is also a decent option. Something in a .38 spl or .357 magnum (again using hollowpoint ammunition). My last recommendation is a good ol fashion pump shotgun. For smaller stature people, I highly recommend a good 20 gauge. With the right ammo and at certain distances, a 20 gauge hits just as hard as a .44 magnum.

I hope this helps. It's a great starting point. There are other members on here that are far more qualified than I am to speak on this. Sorry about the bad luck you've had lately. I'm very familiar with growing up and living in a bad area as well. If you have anymore questions at all, please feel free to reach and ask. That's what we're here for.
    Thank you VERY VERY much!!! I do have some experience, but training is a MUST for both my daughter and I!!!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    For around the house I'd recommend a Smith and Wesson Governor loaded with shotgun defensive ammo and a 45LC solid copper hollow point. Keep loaded 45ACP full moon clips for the Governor on standby next to it or even on a belt/holster rig, at the ready, to reload fast once the shotgun ammo is used up. Then buy insurance made just for dealing with the aftermath of a shooting. The NRA sells it. Don't buy the Taurus Judge. I've had two of the Judges and two of the Governors, and the Governor's are Cadillacs compared to the Judge, and the Judge doesn't do 45ACP

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Hard to beat a revolver from a quality mfg for reliability and simplicity of operation. S&W is my favorite mfg and my wife carries a J frame model 637 for her protection. I have carried a model 442 for 15 years in a pocket holster or ankle rig as backup. The step up to a K or L frame means one or 2 more rounds of .38spl or .357mag. Hornady Critical Defense lite .38spl is in my wifes gun. Light 90gr. projectile means less recoil but less terminal performance, so judicious marksmanship is paramount. My 442 is loaded with Federal Hydroshok in 125gr .38spl +p. Training is seriously necessary. Even after carrying a firearm for over 20 years, I take at least 1 handgun class and a carbine clas annually. I also hit the range weekly to try and maintain proficient skills. As above posts, 9mm in a compact gun like a Glock 19 or S&W M&P would be my choice for primary carry. That said, I'm 5'10" and 220lbs so carry of a larger gun is easier for me. The single stacks like the S&W Shield, Glock 43 or Walther CCP/PPS might also be a viable option. Train hard, fight hard!

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Get a large model K-9, or two. A good one will provide years of excellent service.

One-shot, on the forum, offers CC classes if you are looking.

Criminals hate big dogs!

Check out the rescues. Long ago I volunteered at one and had a pit bull named Ace who was very protective and after many months of working with him, we found him some new owners (two young 20 something girls).

Someone broke into the girls house the next year and they did not make it back out. I am not sure if the criminal survived but the criminal went straight to the hospital.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend One shot's training class, and big dogs are good security.

My bro has a great dog with a BIG bark. He is a sweet mutt, but very protective. He lives on edge of a bad area and never had anyone try his house since moving there.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Let me chime in, if your daughter is not at all familiar with firearms, start her out with a revolver, she should be capable of a 38 special. You can get a 357 magnum and shoot 38’s in it as well, one day she might prefer a 357 once becoming familiar with the revolver. That’s what my wife carry’s in her vehicle 24/7.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Multiple robberies in a week, No deliveries due to the known bad area. My priority would be to sell the house. Even if you catch them and have to defend yourself, not worth the hassle you’ll be dealing with. Still get a CWP and proper firearms training though.

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    Much good information in this thread. Artillery should not be your starting point. To become proficient with firearms (and I do mean proficient not just familiar) you and your daughter are comfortable with and can use accurately under pressure takes time, training and constant follow up. With your work scheduled will you have the time it takes to do this? If we learned anything from the Rittenhouse trial it's that ALL your communications from the beginning of time until now will be turned inside out in search of motive and intent if the need presents itself. I would seriously consider moving first as mentioned above. No house is worth your life or the life of a family member. However, your objective should be to keep criminals outside. Once inside they have the advantage. The intruder shot himself in the foot. Okay, that means he's stupid as well as dangerous. Get with others in your neighborhood and form a Neighborhood Watch Group with prominent signage that lets potential criminals know they are going to encounter resistance in your neighborhood. They won't have anonymity as cover. Put police on speed dial. You said you have cameras. Do you have prominent signage that lets potential criminals know they will be detected, identified, and prosecuted? Are your cameras on battery back up? Hurricane Sally occurred 14 months ago. Do you have triple pane windows? Do you have secure doors with dead bolt locks? This is not the place to cheap out. Buy the best equipment you can afford. As mentioned earlier in this thread get a big protective dog with signage indicating it's there and on duty 24/7. Let the dog outside as much as possible so everyone knows it's there. If you don't like the dog idea because of your frequent and many hours away from home you can simulate barking dogs activated with motion detectors. The speakers for the barking need to be hidden outside and loud. Can you fluctuate your work hours? Can you reduce your work hours even temporarily? You "absolutely" love your house, than take steps to protect it. Some of these steps are going to be expensive to change. But if moving is not an option than what other choice do you have? From reading your plea the status quo isn't an option either.
    1637512337084.png
    1637512430390.png
    1637512500525.png

Last edited:

Honney

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For around the house I'd recommend a Smith and Wesson Governor loaded with shotgun defensive ammo and a 45LC solid copper hollow point. Keep loaded 45ACP full moon clips for the Governor on standby next to it or even on a belt/holster rig, at the ready, to reload fast once the shotgun ammo is used up. Then buy insurance made just for dealing with the aftermath of a shooting. The NRA sells it. Don't buy the Taurus Judge. I've had two of the Judges and two of the Governors, and the Governor's are Cadillacs compared to the Judge, and the Judge doesn't do 45ACP
    Thank you so much for the info!!!

Honney

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Much good information in this thread. Artillery should not be your starting point. To become proficient with firearms (and I do mean proficient not just familiar) you and your daughter are comfortable with and can use accurately under pressure takes time, training and constant follow up. With your work scheduled will you have the time it takes to do this? If we learned anything from the Rittenhouse trial it's that ALL your communications from the beginning of time until now will be turned inside out in search of motive and intent if the need presents itself. I would seriously consider moving first as mentioned above. No house is worth your life or the life of a family member. However, your objective should be to keep criminals outside. Once inside they have the advantage. The intruder shot himself in the foot. Okay, that means he's stupid as well as dangerous. Get with others in your neighborhood and form a Neighborhood Watch Group with prominent signage that lets potential criminals know they are going to encounter resistance in your neighborhood. They won't have anonymity as cover. Put police on speed dial. You said you have cameras. Do you have prominent signage that lets potential criminals know they will be detected, identified, and prosecuted? Are your cameras on battery back up? Hurricane Sally occurred 14 months ago. Do you have triple pane windows? Do you have secure doors with dead bolt locks? This is not the place to cheap out. Buy the best equipment you can afford. As mentioned earlier in this thread get a big protective dog with signage indicating it's there and on duty 24/7. Let the dog outside as much as possible so everyone knows it's there. If you don't like the dog idea because of your frequent and many hours away from home you can simulate barking dogs activated with motion detectors. The speakers for the barking need to be hidden outside and loud. Can you fluctuate your work hours? Can you reduce your work hours even temporarily? You "absolutely" love your house, than take steps to protect it. Some of these steps are going to be expensive to change. But if moving is not an option than what other choice do you have? From reading your plea the status quo isn't an option either.
    View attachment 138165 View attachment 138166 View attachment 138167
    My house has since been reinforced with burglar doors and windows. That's why I moved out for a little while, there was a lot of work to be done and Covid had the installation companies all backed up. We've also adopted a very large brindle red nose pitbull who is well trained and an excellent alarm system. The house has been updated with a battery backup, electric security camera system that records live video and audio. Moving is not an option. My daughter and I work opposing schedules so we are able to keep our dog. I'm looking for night courses to take with my daughter on her evenings off of work. All valid points you have made and I do appreciate the info! Regardless of the steps I've taken to feel safer in our home, my sense of security just isn't what it was after what has taken place here. As for the neighborhood watch, signs are posted all over this neighborhood for that. It fizzled out long ago. It has proven ineffective here and has actually done quite the opposite of it's intention. Letting people know that you are happy to snitch on them in this area draws attention to you, something we absolutely do NOT want more of. We already draw enough unwanted, unsolicited attention as it is. We both worry about sexual assault with the comments we've gotten just being seen outside. We both stand out.

Honney

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hard to beat a revolver from a quality mfg for reliability and simplicity of operation. S&W is my favorite mfg and my wife carries a J frame model 637 for her protection. I have carried a model 442 for 15 years in a pocket holster or ankle rig as backup. The step up to a K or L frame means one or 2 more rounds of .38spl or .357mag. Hornady Critical Defense lite .38spl is in my wifes gun. Light 90gr. projectile means less recoil but less terminal performance, so judicious marksmanship is paramount. My 442 is loaded with Federal Hydroshok in 125gr .38spl +p. Training is seriously necessary. Even after carrying a firearm for over 20 years, I take at least 1 handgun class and a carbine clas annually. I also hit the range weekly to try and maintain proficient skills. As above posts, 9mm in a compact gun like a Glock 19 or S&W M&P would be my choice for primary carry. That said, I'm 5'10" and 220lbs so carry of a larger gun is easier for me. The single stacks like the S&W Shield, Glock 43 or Walther CCP/PPS might also be a viable option. Train hard, fight hard!
    This is some much appreciated info!!! Thank you very much!!!!

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    16 or 20 gauge auto cut down to 18.5 inches. I made my wife a 16 gauge browning a5 into a home defense gun. 2 AR-15 in 556 or 300 blk. One in each bedroom.

I would also keep 2 “gun belts” in the house with your preferred pistol, 2 mags, and an AR mag.

I would also put a safe in both cars. Keep the same pistol in the car.

I like the p365 XL and then carry the p365. You can use the p365xl 15 round work in the 365.

Have 10 15 round mags each.

lots of ammo - practice, practice, practice

Honney

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My house has since been reinforced with burglar doors and windows. That's why I moved out for a little while, there was a lot of work to be done and Covid had the installation companies all backed up. We've also adopted a very large brindle red nose pitbull who is well trained and an excellent alarm system. The house has been updated with a battery backup, electric security camera system that records live video and audio. Moving is not an option. My daughter and I work opposing schedules so we are able to keep our dog. I'm looking for night courses to take with my daughter on her evenings off of work. All valid points you have made and I do appreciate the info! Regardless of the steps I've taken to feel safer in our home, my sense of security just isn't what it was after what has taken place here. As for the neighborhood watch, signs are posted all over this neighborhood for that. It fizzled out long ago. It has proven ineffective here and has actually done quite the opposite of it's intention. Letting people know that you are happy to snitch on them in this area draws attention to you, something we absolutely do NOT want more of. We already draw enough unwanted, unsolicited attention as it is. We both worry about sexual assault with the comments we've gotten just being seen outside. We both stand out.

Sorry about what you have been through, If you want to do a ccw class give a call will do it for 50.00 for both of you just cover ammo don't need firearm will finish it . 850-572-6611 JJ
    That is absolutely awesome!!! Thank you so much!!!! I'll get together with my daughter and make sure all 3 of our schedules will work together!!!

Honney

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    16 or 20 gauge auto cut down to 18.5 inches. I made my wife a 16 gauge browning a5 into a home defense gun. 2 AR-15 in 556 or 300 blk. One in each bedroom.

I would also keep 2 “gun belts” in the house with your preferred pistol, 2 mags, and an AR mag.

I would also put a safe in both cars. Keep the same pistol in the car.

I like the p365 XL and then carry the p365. You can use the p365xl 15 round work in the 365.

Have 10 15 round mags each.

lots of ammo - practice, practice, practice

Honney

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is absolutely awesome!!! Thank you so much!!!! I'll get together with my daughter and make sure all 3 of our schedules will work together!!!
    I've got your number stored. Will it be alright to call after 7pm? I'm off Sundays and we are both off after 7pm Wednesday - Friday

Top Bottom