• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trousers

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I am a fruit tree nerd, and let me tell you brother... I'm like a kid in a candy store when I'm there.

The climate here is really special: cold enough to get the chill hours needed for the interesting fruits and warm enough to grow semi-tropicals and citrus. I have a 1-acre orchard with everything possible that grows here, with the exception of Muscadine grapes, bleh.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Hey guys long time new Englander just moved to crawfordville fl looking forward to hanging out here and getting to know everyone.

Don't worry I'm from NH we don't hate freedom and fun like the rest of the states up there
    I'm from Maine as are a few others here. FL ain't all bad once you get used to the heat! Be glad you're up on the north end of FL... the south end ain't for me. Welcome aboard bud'eh!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Welcome to the forum. About the only thing I miss is lobstah being served at the McDonald's. Plowing snow sucks big time. So does brand new trucks rusting out in less than three years. By the way, Cumberland Farms is now in the coffee business in the Santa Rosa county Florida Tom Thumb gas stations, at least it is at the one on Berryhill Road in Milton. I expressed my surprise to the store manager after finding it this afternoon, and she said Cumby's bought all the Tom Thumbs around here like last year, but they're just now getting around to showing it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210418-031707_Messages.jpg
      Screenshot_20210418-031707_Messages.jpg
      412.8 KB · Views: 100
    • Screenshot_20210418-031718_Messages.jpg
      Screenshot_20210418-031718_Messages.jpg
      480.8 KB · Views: 102
    Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you want to plant some fruit trees, located near you is the Just Fruits and Exotics nursery specializes fruit trees that are adapted to the northern gulf coast. Most Yankee new england fruit trees will not grow well in the deep south. They got so much in demand that they raised their prices too much so I only buy what I can not find elsewhere. Some of their offerings can now be found elsewhere at a better price.

Address: 30 Saint Frances Street, Crawfordville, FL 32327
    Nursery Hours: Open everyday except Tuesdays, 9am – 5pm (Closed on Tuesdays)

Our Contact Info: Phone: (850) 926-5644
    Email: info@justfruitsandexotics.com
    Facebook: facebook.com/justfruit

1618808659385.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welcome to the Gunshine State!

Check out Just Fruits and Exotics in Crawfordville: https://justfruitsandexotics.com/

They have THE VERY BEST fruit tree selection in North Florida. Amazing. I have to take a whole day-long trip to buy my trees there and you live right down the road, you lucky bastard.
    The trees are cheaper at the nursery and still in a good pot with compost. I do not like their shipped trees so much, but they do arrive alive. I have not purchased anything from then in several years due to the cost. Usually from friends on the FB Southern Fruit fellowship https://www.facebook.com/groups SouthernFruitFellowship I can get cuttings or scion wood and save some money.
    Astringent asian persimmons do well here. The non-astringents tend to die of fungal diseases, Pears and apples of the right varieties do well here and the same for muscadine grapes. White heirloom peaches are good to go, most of the others often do not do well here. Dunstan chestnuts do well and as do darkly pigmented mulberries.
    Tomatoes can be grown if you know what you are doing. Loquats do well and I am now managing to have some success with bananas. My citrus are doing well, especially the satsumas. A Seed planted tangerine finally has fruit on it this year. Seed planted citrus trees can come back from the roots after prolonged cold snaps in the teens.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a fruit tree nerd, and let me tell you brother... I'm like a kid in a candy store when I'm there.

The climate here is really special: cold enough to get the chill hours needed for the interesting fruits and warm enough to grow semi-tropicals and citrus. I have a 1-acre orchard with everything possible that grows here, with the exception of Muscadine grapes, bleh.
    Do you have a medlar yet or a quince.

Trousers

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I don't have a medlar or a quince, but I think I will try them out. I have fantastic success with non-astringent Asian persimmons, btw. The trees do so well that my biggest issues is that I have to bag the fruit individually or the deer will strip every last one off my trees.

I'm not on FB but I will get my wife to check out that Southern Fruit Fellowship.

Fruit that does well for me: blueberries, satsuma, navel oranges, tangelo, tropical apples, peaches, southern bartlett pears, persimmons, mullberries, mayhaw, figs, and mandarin mellonberry. Japanese raisin tree and paw paws are healthy but not yet fruiting. Plums rarely set fruit for me.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't have a medlar or a quince, but I think I will try them out. I have fantastic success with non-astringent Asian persimmons, btw. The trees do so well that my biggest issues is that I have to bag the fruit individually or the deer will strip every last one off my trees.

I'm not on FB but I will get my wife to check out that Southern Fruit Fellowship.

Fruit that does well for me: blueberries, satsuma, navel oranges, tangelo, tropical apples, peaches, southern bartlett pears, persimmons, mullberries, mayhaw, figs, and mandarin mellonberry. Japanese raisin tree and paw paws are healthy but not yet fruiting. Plums rarely set fruit for me.
    My fuyus and one of my neighbors are either dying or dead. My astringents are fine. Below a diseased fuyu that was died finally this spring after some years of the infection. Saigo and Hao River seem to be bullet proof. I hope your persimmons remain from this disease
    The major limitations to the successful culture of Oriental persimmon is a fungal disease induced by Botryosphaeria species. Botryosphaeria induces the formation of black cankers in the trunk and limbs of persimmons and efficacious fungicides are not available. The American consumer thinks of persimmons as a small bitter tasting fruit; however, there have been recent attempts to marketed non-astrigent Oriental persimmons under a different name such as Fuyu. http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/nfrec/2014/05/30/oriental-persimmons-varieties-for-north-florida/

1618953852082.jpeg

Trousers

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Bummer. I have 10 trees, all grow with no love or attention. I do have beetles that like to much on the new growth in the spring. I just walk by and smash 'em good when they get out of control.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bummer. I have 10 trees, all grow with no love or attention. I do have beetles that like to much on the new growth in the spring. I just walk by and smash 'em good when they get out of control.
    That was my thinking for many years until this showed up. A friend as far away as Biloxi said he saw the same on his fuyu and his were ok then, but I never heard back from him and never will since he died last wk.

Top Bottom