• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    From us doing out homework,safety priorities,reports back to land owner's,and maintaining great relationships with these landowners, we just gained access to some more properties to hunt.
    These areas are known to have hogs bedded and passing through to access the fields with peanuts and cotton.
    We have seen evidence of these hogs and seen hogs in the daylight hours. We will be scouting these areas in the near future to try to pinpoint their exact routes. There are spring fed ponds on these properties also that is a great "draw" for the hogs during this hot weather.
    These areas will be great for a stalk hunt when the weather gets a little cooler.
    Thanks to my hunting buddies for their work in landowner PR. --- SAWMAN

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i am fairly new here and not the quickest guy on the uptake but...who is "we"? is there a hunting group or organization dwelling here on GCGF? and if so where can i find out more? i would love to go hog hunting nearby this fall and winter. i am polite, safe, well-mannered, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's always a good day when new areas are obtained.

I've had the same good luck... although it's been too hot for my liking, I acquired several large tracks of land just ripe for night coyote hunting. Can't wait for slightly cooler weather so I can take advantage of the new areas.

The community is small down here, word gets around, when you earn the respect of one landowner it really helps in securing additional areas. I'm constantly getting calls now from people asking if I can come rid their property of coyotes and hogs.

Come cooler weather, I'll be very busy. For now, I'm taking names and making notes for future hunts.

It wasn't easy getting my foot in the door initially. The first real relationship I cultivated, which has led to other opportunities, took several years to develop. I'm batting about 90% yes to no answer rate when asking to hunt now that I can name drop other land owners' names as a reference. It doesn't hurt either that sometimes I'm in uniform when I introduce myself and ask...lol.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    There is no hunting group as part of this forum. In fact,there is a huge percentage here that does not hunt at all.
    The "we" that I referred to is simply three friends. Two that live extremely close to these hunting areas and me,that lives 20+ miles away.
    We have hunted these peanut,corn,cotton,and soybean fields for 6 or 7 years now. The relationships between hunter and landowner have not been instantaneous. Ther other two guys living so close has been the deciding factor. The landowners are their neighbors.
    I really wish that I lived closer to these area's. If I were younger I would actually consider moving over that way.
    Complete permission to use these areas,pretty much exclusive from other hunters except the landowners themselves,is golden. I (we) cherish this permission and strive to treat these properties as if they they were our own. I consider us the caretakers.
    We have been told only us and no more. This is one landowner requirement that you NEVER DISPUTE or try to fudge on. Two of these areas we do not have permission to kill coyotes on. The reason is irrelevant. We have not and will not. We do however,report these sightings to the landowner,as we do the deer and hogs.
    You younger guys,guys new to hunting,that need a place to take you children,you have three choices. 1. Hunting club. 2. State land (FWC and Eglin). 3. Private property ( farm's,ranch land,crop land).
    If you pick #3 you gotta do your homework,foot work,and study up on your PR. Especially with the older, non-hey doode,little boys. Be respectful. Leave that "all for me and none for you" attitude at home. Us older guys can sense that in the first sentence out of your mouth.
    OR . . . . be destined to hunt FWC land or pay $1500. per year for a club. Your choice. ---- SAWMAN

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    There is no hunting group as part of this forum. In fact,there is a huge percentage here that does not hunt at all.
    The "we" that I referred to is simply three friends. Two that live extremely close to these hunting areas and me,that lives 20+ miles away.
    We have hunted these peanut,corn,cotton,and soybean fields for 6 or 7 years now. The relationships between hunter and landowner have not been instantaneous. Ther other two guys living so close has been the deciding factor. The landowners are their neighbors.
    I really wish that I lived closer to these area's. If I were younger I would actually consider moving over that way.
    Complete permission to use these areas,pretty much exclusive from other hunters except the landowners themselves,is golden. I (we) cherish this permission and strive to treat these properties as if they they were our own. I consider us the caretakers.
    We have been told only us and no more. This is one landowner requirement that you NEVER DISPUTE or try to fudge on. Two of these areas we do not have permission to kill coyotes on. The reason is irrelevant. We have not and will not. We do however,report these sightings to the landowner,as we do the deer and hogs.
    You younger guys,guys new to hunting,that need a place to take you children,you have three choices. 1. Hunting club. 2. State land (FWC and Eglin). 3. Private property ( farm's,ranch land,crop land).
    If you pick #3 you gotta do your homework,foot work,and study up on your PR. Especially with the older, non-hey doode,little boys. Be respectful. Leave that "all for me and none for you" attitude at home. Us older guys can sense that in the first sentence out of your mouth.
    OR . . . . be destined to hunt FWC land or pay $1500. per year for a club. Your choice. ---- SAWMAN
    bless your heart for assuming i am young! you made my day!.
    i totally understand the landowner's attitude. if i owned a peanut ranch up in jay i wouldnt let a soul roam and hunt around on my property at night while my family slept in their beds. i guess i will stick with my hunting lease in texas.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This post was not directed at you. It was thrown out there again for ALL the people that are considering hunting private farm land/crop land. You want to be there . . the landowners want you there . . now you gotta figure out how to put this together.
    Over the years many people have asked us the "how to's" about hunting private property. We have continued to try to help others get started. But we cannot do the prep work for them.
    We will continue to be helpful in answering any and all questions,and give advice that comes directly from expierance. --- SAWMAN
    P.S. If you did not spend some memorable time in Little Creek,Va. you are young. But them . . I am old.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Wow Sawman! I never knew you could be so eloquent with words.

I am retired Navy. A great piece of advise I was given as a young sailor by my Chief was to establish credibility wherever you go and you will go far. The new parcel of land is the second property in which the owner raises cattle. You gotta really be trusted to have a gun around valuables such as that. We first met the owner and some family members a few years ago and would say Hi every once in a while. And it certainly helped that one of us helped round up cattle that had gotten loose. The rancher hates that hogs have been known to eat cattle food he has put out.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    This post was not directed at you. It was thrown out there again for ALL the people that are considering hunting private farm land/crop land. You want to be there . . the landowners want you there . . now you gotta figure out how to put this together.
    Over the years many people have asked us the "how to's" about hunting private property. We have continued to try to help others get started. But we cannot do the prep work for them.
    We will continue to be helpful in answering any and all questions,and give advice that comes directly from expierance. --- SAWMAN
    P.S. If you did not spend some memorable time in Little Creek,Va. you are young. But them . . I am old.
    LITTLE CREEK, VIRGINIA! what side did you fight on, the North or the South?
    ah, i crack me up!
    seriously though, i appreciate your point and totally understand. you fellas that have cultivated those relationships with local landowners are right to cherish and guard them. you are to be commended for it.
    and i appreciate the continuing reports on this forum from you guys that do have local places to hunt. envious and interested! carry on!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    . . . . "eloquent" . . . . WTF did you call me !!(??).
    Anyway . . with a little "work" you should NOT have to travel to Texas for a good hunt. Fun+ meat in the freezer can happen right here.
    Where you live is fairly rural. Farms and crops in your area. Along with tons of game . Right in your back yard. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    if i owned a peanut ranch up in jay i wouldnt let a soul roam and hunt around on my property at night while my family slept in their beds. i guess i will stick with my hunting lease in texas.

Texas? Must be NICE!!

Totally understand your comment about folks roaming the night with guns while you're tucked in bed... actually, it would make me feel safe LOL. Then again, I suppose it depends on WHO is out there doing the roaming LOL.

It's an up hill battle anymore trying to find hunting nuggets of land. For me, it's a 365-days a year quest. No matter where I'm at or what I'm doing I'm always looking at land as possible places to kill yotes. Places ARE out there, but you certainly have to cultivate them, guard them, and appreciate them.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The above is right on.
    We consider ourselves as night time security. Especially when we hunt in the vicinity of livestock or in the field with farm machinery. We have been told that we can climb up,and sit on parked peanut and/or cotton harvesting equipnent at night while scanning the fields.
    We have reported leaks in deisel tanks to the farmers. We have used the in field equipment to hide behind and to cover our stalk.
    We have reported loose cows and the condition of fences. We have cleared farm roads and moverd trees and brush from fields before harvest. We have pruned the sides of farm roads and fields.
    This helps us and the farmer/landowner both. It does wonders for the relationships between us and them. We have gotten other places to hunt from them calling us. Bruce and I both had "buisness" cards printed up. We hand them out and put them up at CO-OP's and farm stores. We give some to the farmers to hand to other farmers.
    All you gentlemen that want/need a place to hunt can do all of the above. Be nice. Be respectful. Loose you arrogant attitude,do not attempt to "spell check" the farmer,NEVER approach the farmer/landowner wearing camo clothing,introduce yourself. Call him "doode" or "bro" . . . your done.
    Just my observations from past first hand expierances. If you can't or wont abide by the above,I would not allow you on my property either. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Give some love to the leasor of the properties also. We have great relationships with these guys. His reports of your help gets back to the land owner real quick. And he knows where the fresh hog sign is . . where they are coming out into the fields,and where and when the crop damage is occuring.
    A "side problem" that the hunter could have is - -> if you are doing a good job saving the crops from damage,he possibly will not want to "share you" with the other property owners. In our case,this is really ok. If you spread yourself too thin,possibly none of the land owners will be satisified with your efforts.
    Sometimes I get the feeling that our land owners/leasors get somewhat stingy with out services. But we are killin' hogs and coyotes out in the freash,non Covid air,having about as much fun as can be had. ALL IS GOOD. ---- SAWMAN
    20200803_091624.jpg
    20200803_091613.jpg
    20200803_091557.jpg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Not a huge blockage, but attached to a big enough limb that I couldn't move it by myself that blocked the path for their side by side. Owner texted me I could cut and clear it. In this pic I'd used the machete to clear away the smaller branches and vines 2 days before so I could step over it, but needed to come back with a saw. While I was on the property, I also removed other smaller limbs on some of their paths to make for smoother rides for the owner's family (and for when we walk there at night). Received a Thank You from the rancher's wife. She said they haven't had a coyote problem with newborn calves SO FAR (her words and capitalization) and have been worried about it. Told us to shoot coyotes.

Six of the eight little piles (a couple of cups each) of corn I put out were eaten by the hogs...I was trying to figure where the hogs are entering the property and how far into the property they are going to plan our ambush. Hogs were following a well worn animal trail, so sitting where we can overlook the trail looks like a good bet. The rancher has a hog trap set...hogs ate my corn on both sides of the trap but nothing in the trap.

307A9FF1-00F7-4D18-B3FA-CBC43A56B7C3.jpeg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    1). Not a spec left.

2). They rooted up around the little piles looking for more.

3). The two piles not eaten by hogs only had about half eaten and they did a sloppy job of eating with bits of pieces left with no rooting.

Guess I could have taken a pic of no corn there.

Top Bottom