• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Themumfordman

Master
    Like opening a can of worms…

I’m going back and forth between an Eotech XPS2 and Aimpoint PRO for my SBR, and am curious which way y’all lean. I really like both, but both have drawbacks.

Eotech - fantastic reticle, awful battery.

Aimpoint - epic good battery, basic red dot reticle.

I eventually need to settle on one of these and move on from the other. If it was your setup, which would you stick with and why?

Attachments

• IMG_8926.jpeg
      IMG_8926.jpeg
      2.7 MB · Views: 20
    • IMG_8927.jpeg
      IMG_8927.jpeg
      4.1 MB · Views: 20
    • IMG_8928.jpeg
      IMG_8928.jpeg
      4.3 MB · Views: 20

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Eeeehhhhh....I'd say Eotech. I believe they are getting heavy use in Israel.
    I ran one on a 300 BO for a few years and it was the bees knees.

My contacts that were Tier One in the sandbox were running Eotech and Trijicons. No one ran an Aimpoint. FWIW.
    For SHTF I say Eotech, FWIW.

Raven

Master
    Eotech got sued by the spec ops community for getting a lot of good men killed. From what I understand the spec ops guys were sighting stuff in stateside and then landing in the middle of a middle eastern desert the next day and missing their target... their zeros had shifted because the advertised heat tolerances were false. That's what I heard anyways. I bought an Aimpoint because of that and loved it. Currently own neither. I prefer my out of production Redfield red dot, and count myself lucky that I found a second of the same make and model in a pawn shop

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Eotech got sued by the spec ops community for getting a lot of good men killed. From what I understand the spec ops guys were sighting stuff in stateside and then landing in the middle of a middle eastern desert the next day and missing their target... their zeros had shifted because the advertised heat tolerances were false. That's what I heard anyways
    Troubling. I was not aware. Thanks.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Yes, L3 was sued successfully. We had nothing but problems with the 552 series EoTech sights. The first thing I did when I took command of the SWAT team was round up all our EoTech sights and send them back to L3 during their refund program and then bought Aimpoints.

With that said, that was the 511, 551, 512, and 552 series. The XPS sights are trouble-free as far as I know.

Aimpoints are in HEAVY use in the military, they are the Ball Peen hammer of the RDS world... they just work no matter what. In all the years I did classes with my training gig I never saw a single problem with an Aimpoint.

I have a dozen Aimpoints and just one lone EoTech 512...

Between the two, as much as I push Aimpoints, the fact is you won't go wrong with either one.

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I still have a 552 on a 20" for the nostalgia vibe and its never had any issues. As far as my go to sbr and carbine, Aimpoint PRO is my go to. I also have a few of the Aimpoint Micro H1 on other things. I have issues with an astigmatism and prolonged use of the eotech reticle gives me problems after a long range day. Aimpoint for the win to me.

Themumfordman

Master
    Depends on what reticle you like to use. That always makes my mind up for me.

Yeah, that’s my issue. I like the Eotech style reticle, which is why I really like Holosun pistol dots. I have a couple H1’s on PCC/SMG type guns, and I love the brightness and battery life of the Aimpoint line. Just wish they made a circle dot reticle.

Themumfordman

Master
    I'm with you. in my opinion green is far superior

I love the green dot reticles, which is yet another factor to consider. The best green dot reticles IMO not counting ACOG’s are on freaking Holosuns. But, while I really do like their stuff, I can’t help feel sacrilegious using a Chinese optic on my “end-of-the-world-zombie-apocalypse-Newsome-becomes-president” custom rifle.

Gonzolee10

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I love the green dot reticles, which is yet another factor to consider. The best green dot reticles IMO not counting ACOG’s are on freaking Holosuns. But, while I really do like their stuff, I can’t help feel sacrilegious using a Chinese optic on my “end-of-the-world-zombie-apocalypse-Newsome-becomes-president” custom rifle.
    i just picked up a green trijicon mro and its leaps and bounds better than the red

MarkJ

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    The Eotech lawsuit was more than 8 years ago. Technology moves at the speed of light so I don't think it's fair or reasonable to assume that faulty tech 8 years ago is sufficient cause to disengage from utilizing a product.

What was more concerning to me was that Eotech settled the lawsuit the same day it was filed, they knew they had those issues with thermal drift and even went so far as to call the 'fix' they rolled out an 'upgrade'. Terrible upper management!

After that fiasco L3 cleaned house at Eotech and there was significant turnover in executive management.

For me, between Aimpoint and Eotech, I'd use the one that works best with my eyes, Eotech's past failures were resolved in my opinion. The Military apparently agrees, in 2019 USSOCOM signed a 5 year deal for Eotech optics...

Boogan1

Master
    My brother in law who is a retired LEO and ran an FBI fugitive apprehension squad swears by the aimpoints. He said they had a whole drawer full of junk eotechs.

HotMic

Shooter
    Our unit received hundreds of new EOtechs a few years back. After pre deployment spin up, more than half we're broken and ever dude on team switched back to an aim point, Elcan, or Trij. Only dudes who use EO's on team now are cherries.

Top Bottom