• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I picked up this sweet little Browning and I can’t decide which type optic I want to put on her. Do I go all out with a full variable scope, or swing towards The ACOG type optics? I currently have several scoped .308 rifles. This one will shoot a lot of paper, maybe a passel of swine however I’ll pick up my Sako to hunt with. Just want set this thing up for medium range plinking, and preparation for the downfall of our great country… basically needing to fix this thing up for splitting wigs. what do you guys recommend For this application?
    D9555F0E-95CD-4665-B410-93CD62DE2CBF.jpeg

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If I am spending your money I would say something like a 1-6 to 1-10. That being said I don’t own anything in that category my suggestion is worth what you paid for it.:)

socalpig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Check out the Burris 5x prism optic. Have a buddy that had one on his RFB. Quick to pick up target and maintained zero with 5x magnification.

socalpig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I try to avoid abbreviations as much as possible. Gets old quick and everybody seems to interpret what they want from them.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    For a 308 semiauto I'd go with a 1-8× with a lit reticle in a Burris PEPR locking QD cantilever railed rings. I prefer a lit dot, without the BDC (bullet drop compensator) or windage help. Point and click. K.I.S.S. It's a service rifle, not a sniper rifle. As far as drop compensators, sight this in at 200 yards and you're good to go on man size moving targets vitals all the way out to 300 yards. No BDC needed. As far as windage lines, windage adjustments simply are not needed at anything under 200 yards unless you're in a storm. Learn to holdover in the wind and on moving targets. Easier said then done, I know. Most professional operators can't hit moving targets. A 1-8× is talking big money, when a 1-6× with a lit reticle is half the cost and just as useful under 300 yards. Most MOUT (military operations urban terrain) is under 150 yards and 99.5% of all police sniper shots are under 100 yards. On any service rifle, I'd stay away from bipods and lights/lasers with phone cords hanging off of them. Keep it lightweight and nimble. It's already heavy being a 308, so don't add more weight. It will be carried far more than shot, and you'll need to it to come to your shoulder fast, swing and point faster than the other guy. Keep it at the low ready, in your shoulder pocket, at all times, unless you're taking a break and have perimeter security watching your ass.

Last edited:

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    1-5x Leopold. If You’re not trying to shoot 600 yards-Good optic, excellent value, lifetime warranty. Of course if you’re a lottery winner, Swaravoski would be nice. IMHO

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    1-5x Leopold. If You’re not trying to shoot 600 yards-Good optic, excellent value, lifetime warranty. Of course if you’re a lottery winner, Swaravoski would be nice. IMHO
    Vortex has a lifetime warranty too. If you can afford it, go with the NightForce brand. No warranty needed. Unfailing reliability. But of course, NightForce still has a warranty. It has just the dot, for point and click K.I.S.S.. It comes down to just how much is your ass worth? Your family worth? If my latest 308/Vortex 1-6× combo does what I want to do with it, this is the scope I'm buying for it after trials. It's worth 3 times what I spent on my rifle. Because I have my priorities in line and my ass is worth the whole damn bank.
    Screenshot_20211223-234334_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-234416_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-234428_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-234435_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I’m not a big fan of Vortex optics, I’ve received several in trade deals and have gotten rid of them all. I had Always liked Leupold and have several of them. Used to be all in for leupold until Trijicon started making the accupoint series. IMHO the Trijicon Accupoint scope line are the hands down best for the money. I would pick one over a Swarovski. They are just sweet…

Trousers

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    What Accupoint reticle did you go with? The triangle on a post always intrigued me, but I didn't want to spend $1,400 to find out.

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I’m not a big fan of Vortex optics, I’ve received several in trade deals and have gotten rid of them all. I had Always liked Leupold and have several of them. Used to be all in for leupold until Trijicon started making the accupoint series. IMHO the Trijicon Accupoint scope line are the hands down best for the money. I would pick one over a Swarovski. They are just sweet…
    Just curious of what steered you away from Vortex optics?

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Optics came in and got it mounted, bore sighted it and off to the range I went… “across the road”. I am really impressed with this rifle, what really impressed me is its consistent 5BFF6B15-017A-42C5-A604-81D9AA95339C.jpeg 23287E8F-491A-4799-9F63-17349B2E61C8.jpeg accuracy. I only shot 100yrds today however the rifle is shooting sub MOA and I am very pleased with it. Shot Winchester 168gr match ammo and kept 15rounds inside a dollar bill. I was very happy. The scope is very nice and once I get used to it I will stretch it on out a bit more.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What Accupoint reticle did you go with? The triangle on a post always intrigued me, but I didn't want to spend $1,400 to find out.
    I get the mil-dot reticle on all of mine. I bought a 3-12-56 accupoint with the triangle for my finnlight 30.06 and hated it. I sold quickly sold it and put a Meopta that I had with no home for on it. The triangle reticle is very difficult to navigate for me I’ll stick to mil-dot…

Top Bottom