• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kellum757

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just bought my first 1911, I’ve function checked it and everything seemed to be working fine. I cleaned it the other day and when I went to reassemble the gun I couldn’t get it back together (I’ve watched multiple videos and searched online). The problem is that the slide release won’t go back into its slot. If anyone is able to help please do.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This is probably dumb, but in the past I’ve had good luck just turning the pistol over upside down and the damn thing would sometimes slide right in. I was misaligning something. May not work but easy to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kellum757

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Please don't put an "idiot mark" on it. Take a small screwdriver and slightly depress the plunger and push in on the slide release lever at the same time. After a few times you won't need the screwdriver.
    I’ve tried that and it’s not working

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Are you sure you have the barrel, guide rod and spring installed correctly and the barrel link lined up with the hole the slide release goes through?

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Where are you located? Maybe someone local can show you in person or there is a shop close by you can take it to for some instruction.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay, these pieces work together:

slide stop, plunger tube, slide stop plunger, plunger spring, safety lock plunger, and safety lock. Ensure they are all properly aligned! (ie if you have inadvertently misaligned the safety lock reassembly can be difficult.) Photo's may be helpful?

Best reference I've found for the 1911 is Jerry Kuhnhausen's (The Colt .45 Automatic. A Shop Manual.)

Hope this helps, let us know when it's back together.

kellum757

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where are you located? Maybe someone local can show you in person or there is a shop close by you can take it to for some instruction.
    I’m in Pensacola

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The barrels locking link should swing freely. This allows minor hand tapping to shake it into proper allignment with holes in the frame.
    The barrels locking link must be aligned with the holes in the frame, then insert the slide lock big pin end in most of the way. NOW, you need to ensure the slide and frame are in proper alignment so the cut in the slide allows the other end (where the "thumb pad is) to be inserted and then fully seat it. Once seated, the slide can move over/contain the lever. Continue assembly.

Note: There should not be any pressure on the recoil spring while assembling the above.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    It's hard to believe there isn't someone in Pensacola that could spare 5 minutes out of their day to help this guy out. I live an hour away or I would have already been there. I will be coming through there Wednesday morning if you don't have it back together by then I will gladly meet up and see if I can figure out what's going on.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Try to assemble without recoil spring tension. After assembly, tension the recoil spring by pushing down on the plunger below level of bushing while turning barrel bushing counter clock wise into place. This is actually a very good tutorial. Watch it more than once if needed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom