• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Max range 400 yards. Would like one with drop comp marks on the reticle. 30mm tube. For deer hunting stand/ blind work and open clear cuts. $$ range reasonable. Got the rifle. Winchester XPR 22 inch. Thanks.

.22 cents

Master

Raven

Master
    Find a good 1-8X. It's a 1x red dot when you need it indoors or up close, and an 8x when you gotta reach out there. 2 in 1 = half the weight, and no fumbling around trying to change optics on the fly

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    If you're set on a 20x scope then a great compromise is getting railed scope rings and mounting a reflex sight on top

Raven

Master
    I know that first focal plane is all the rage right now, but I've also read that second plane is better if you're going to be laying down on the gun for hours, in a fixed position, constantly scanning

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Second focal planes are for hunters that hold right over their back and drop one in its track at 500 yards. First focal plane takes the guesswork out. I have a 1-8.5 first focal plane that makes for a great hunting scope. At 1X the illuminated reticle serves as a red dot. This would be used at first light maybe too early to be legal. At 8x you can put a precise shot on game at 600 yards. A budget would lead you in the right direction

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Second focal planes are for hunters that hold right over their back and drop one in its track at 500 yards. First focal plane takes the guesswork out. I have a 1-8.5 first focal plane that makes for a great hunting scope. At 1X the illuminated reticle serves as a red dot. This would be used at first light maybe too early to be legal. At 8x you can put a precise shot on game at 600 yards. A budget would lead you in the right direction
    What scope?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Yall would be suprised how well the etched 3x work for deer. This is the 3x Athlon. Popped this doe very late in the day, on the move. About 125 yards.

Attachments

• 20210210_182501.jpg
      20210210_182501.jpg
      5.8 MB · Views: 120

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    It’s a Bushnell Elite Tactical. I actually have two of them the 1-8.5 has exposed turrets and I have a 1-6.5 with capped turrets both FFP. They made these for a military contract back in 2014 ish. Not your typical Walmart Bannerman. Built like tanks, hold zero, and track perfectly. I’m having a hard time finding one that is similar. The closest comparison that’s available would be the 1-8 Nightforce ATACR or the Gen iii vortex Razor Hd 1-10. Both of these have great glass but pricey

Caveman94

Expert
    Weaver super slam 3x15x50 with illuminated reticle. Make sure the glass is made in Japan, but I am a huge fan of these....if you can find them anymore. There’s a reason my .308 deer gun is my favorite

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    It’s a Bushnell Elite Tactical. I actually have two of them the 1-8.5 has exposed turrets and I have a 1-6.5 with capped turrets both FFP. They made these for a military contract back in 2014 ish. Not your typical Walmart Bannerman. Built like tanks, hold zero, and track perfectly. I’m having a hard time finding one that is similar. The closest comparison that’s available would be the 1-8 Nightforce ATACR or the Gen iii vortex Razor Hd 1-10. Both of these have great glass but pricey
    Yep, no longer produced. Found 1 for 1k used.

2nd the Athlon lines. I'd also recommend a Meopta Optika6 MRAD. I've got a couple of them and like them a lot. The reticle is set up with a hunter in mind but can still be used long distance if desired.

850guns

Master
    Max range 400 yards. Would like one with drop comp marks on the reticle. 30mm tube. For deer hunting stand/ blind work and open clear cuts. $$ range reasonable. Got the rifle. Winchester XPR 22 inch. Thanks.
    For 400 yards max i agree a 1-8x would be great. And i also love the larger tubes. You might just consider an old school 3-9x for less dime. I'm sure there are a lot of choices and prices to choose from.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    For 400 yards max i agree a 1-8x would be great. And i also love the larger tubes. You might just consider an old school 3-9x for less dime. I'm sure there are a lot of choices and prices to choose from.
    Yep, looks like 50 or so. No more nikon, which sucks cause I always thought they were pretty damm good. 3x9 probably just fine for deer and stuff.

Gunin4m

Expert
    I like a little more magnification when shooting out to 400. The Athlons are great and they have a good selection in your price range. Also take a look at the Primary Arms 4-14x44, its available with a mil-dot reticle and turrets so you have the option of dialing or using the reticle for hold over. The glass is surprisingly clear for the price, there's lots of reviews and articles out there on them and they are in stock.

Top Bottom