• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garbo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the Money either are hard to beat from the standpoint of what you are getting in potential accuracy in a Rifle.

It would be my opinion that either the New Enland Single shots or the H and R Handy Rifle would both be the best starter rifle for a young shooter/hunter. Even when compared to other entry level bolt rifles such as the Mossberg ATR and low end Remingtons the New England and H and R both are not only better built but out of the box a better value in quality of workmanship than the Mossberg or low end Remingtons.

My oldest son has a H and R Handy Rifle chambered in .243 that may as well be an extention of him. He could pick off crows from distances that I would have expected to see the crow fly off only to see the crow explode as a 9 year old. At 20 he still has an ability with that rifle to dot i's.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have owned the NEF line of rifles for some time now. Back about 20 years ago I had some big(HUGE !) problems with the ULTRA series of guns that they marketed as "tack drivers",etc. I bought one in 22-250 that would quite easily shoot minute of pie plate at 100yds and a 223Rem that would not do much better, and as a consolation prize,eat the brass due to a terribly reamed chamber.

The other guns that I have had have been great shooters. Easily worth the money paid, and a couple will shoot right with the bolt guns or lever guns. I have a 444Marlin that will shoot <1" groups at 50yds and <2 inches at 100yds. I have owned, or still own them, in 223Rem,25-06,308,44Mag,444Marlin,45-70,and 500S&W Mag. I have had them with the "normal" plastic stock,the Survivor style stocks,the pallet wood,and the laminate.

These guns are quite easily worked so as to lighten the trigger,make it easier to open,and to make the bbl fall all the way down so that the extract and/or eject will work better. All the trigger parts are easy to obtain as are the extractor/ejector parts. Cheap too !! If I have a choice I tend to like the guns with the ejector...ESPECIALLY when hunting hogs on the ground.

These are guns at a great value. What better gun to furnish to a "just learning" shooter/hunter. Single shot....?....so what. A NEF/Handi chambered in 243Win or 7mm-08 would be great for the smaller framed woman or child. With handloading a 45-70 is my wife's hog gun, shooting a 300gr @ 1000fps. When using the newer Trail Boss you can get the 300 or 350gr bullets down to 800fps if needed/wanted. These will still go thru some of the larger hogs at the closer ranges.

These are great little guns at the moderate ranges. Give one a try. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let's bring this thread back from the dead, shall we?

I have been craving a 45-70 for some time now, going so far to to acquire dies, brass and molds for the caliber. I had already loaded 5 rounds with a 1890 Winchester 405gr RNFP and and another 10 rounds with a Lyman 457193 405gr RNFP. Both were sized to .459 and loaded on top of 27.5 grains of 5744 (mid-range Trapdoor level load).

Today I went to the Shriners gun show in Mobile expressly looking for a H&R Buffalo Classic. I only found one at the show and it was overpriced, so I continued wandering around looking at other items and trying to figure out what I was going to do with this wad of cash in my pocket. Lo and behold, I walk up on a gentleman with a NEF Handi 45-70 on a sling with Tasco 3-9 scope and a sign sticking out of the muzzle advertising it at $300. A few words, a close examination and $250 later, walked out of the show with this little darling hanging off of my shoulder.

I returned home, loaded the range bag and headed out to see if I had made a decent purchase. The picture speaks for itself.

View attachment 19951

Six shots total. The first two shots are at the upper left. I adjusted the scope to center and fired the next four in the center group. POA was center of the diamond at 50 yards. I figure the scope is zeroed at 100. I'm in love.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Forgot to mention, I have a 12ga. barrel that will change out on both handi rifles, it is 3-one half inch mag. single barrel, shot it once last year with no. 4 duck shot, boy!! Yes it kicks, Denny

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up a Handi in .308 a week or so ago. I was originally looking for a .270, but figured out that my bullet casting choices were much better in .308 and the ballistics are roughly the same. I've shot a box of factory rounds through it with good results, but am really waiting to see what it will do with cast.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have two ones the 410 and a 7mm08 the 7 is one hell of a tack driver can shoot the tops off Mountain Dew bottles at 100 yards

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Talking to people over the years,showing people my rifles and actually allowing some to shoot them,I firmly believe that the single thing that keeps people away from the Handi's is ---> single shot. I have had "discussions" with people ref. how many shots do you ACTUALLY need,do you hunt with a muzzle loader,etc,etc. That does not seem to convince anyone.

THEN ---> there is the accuracy thing. Some of the same people that poo-poo the Handi's will run right out and buy one of them el cheapo models of a Rem,Win,Savage,Mossberg,etc from the closest Wal Fart. (You know the ones that come with a shit box scope mounted loosely in rings ,on a base that is loose with a ton of gunk under it.) There are several things that you can do to your Handi to enhance the accuracy potential. AND ... it's general usability.

THEN #2 ---> there are some people that will go out looking for a "short and light" rifle for their daughter,son,wife,even themselves(at 5' 7")that will go out and spend $600 - $800 on a Rem,Win,or Ruger. (I spent that much on a Ruger for one reason .... it was stainless.) IMO (?) one of the perfect guns(~)for your younger child to use for deer and hogs at the closer ranges (<125yds) is the ACC Handi chambered in 300BLK. I have seen these guns for sell for $250'ish. If you happen to reload,these guns get mo-bedda.

The little Handi,weather chambered in 500S&W Mag or any deer or varmint chambering is worth taking a look at. IMO they are certainly worth the money paid for it. --- SAWMAN

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just sold my .308 Handi, not because of the rifle (It was great and accurate) but because I decided I did not like the caliber and the choices I had for handloading it (case size, short neck, etc). I still have my 45-70 Handi and I will never part with it voluntarily. It is a blast to shoot, I love the caliber and it is accurate out to 200 yards. It may be accurate past that but that is as far as I have shot it so far.

As Sawman eluded to, just how many shots do you need? If the answer is more the one, you need to spend more time on the range. The Handi Rifle is a wonderful, low cost and very accurate platform that just works. You can't hardly ask for more.

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I took love my Handi and think it's a great rifle. I decided to buy something different, because when it comes hunting season the Handi sits in the safe while the bolt actions get used. We do a good bit of hunting in central Texas where it is not uncommon to take two or even three does in one morning hunt. We shoot a bunch of deer and put a bunch of meat in the freezer and the bolt action is my gun of choice. I like bolt action rifles and prefer them over the Handi-rifle. I love my dad's Ruger No.1 but that doesn't mean I want to hunt with it. It's just not my preference, just like some people have a preference between different 1911's. This thread was a review about Handi-rifles and I too think they are great, accurate rifles. Please don't dis me for wanting something different. I apologize if I offended anyone by asking for advice on the compact bolt actions. My hope is to be a good contributing member of this forum, not some random internet bum. I think this is a great forum and I really appreciate the solid advice I get and the great people I have met through it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You did not offend me and you are surely as welcome here as anyone of the rest of us. Please contribute both your knowledge and experience in the hunting/shooting sports.

Please don't get me wrong. A bolt gun is a great action as far as I am concerned. The Win Mod 70 XTR was my first and now I own several including Rem,Ruger,and Savage,and a couple of old Mauser's. Over the years I have let some slip away and am regretful of this "brain fart".

My "from the shooting house" gun is a Rem 700 SPS TAC chambered in 308Win. And I definitely see the need for my AR "pistol" chambered in 6.8 for calling hogs and yotes at night. For extreme accuracy the bolt guns are your only(~)choice. Especially at the longer ranges.

My above point basically was that a hunter should not overlook the "other" choice. A single shot. Especially in the short,light,and easily maneuverable category. --- SAWMAN

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree. In a few years I'll probably be on the lookout for another handi rifle in a smaller caliber for my son for his first rifle. Thanks for the clarification. I really enjoy reading your posts and hope that I get a chance to meet you one day. I really need to make it to the next forum get together.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My wife shoots a single shot chambered in 30-30AI. The gun is an older T/C Contender. This gun has killed moose,black bear,deer,coyotes,and some unfortunate woodchucks. She absolutely WILL NOT stray from this weapon. She has been using this weapon for some 25 years.

Some other pluses for a single shot type of action is the ease of loading and unloading. This would also be a plus for the younger shooters. The Handi's have a transfer bar also,for safety. You actually have to pull the rigger completely thru in order for the bar to stay up so that the falling hammer will hit it and drive it into the firing pin. You can let the hammer fall all day long and the weapons will not fire unless the trigger is actually pulled. Another plus for the younger more inexperienced hunter/shooter.

The Handi action is also fairly strong. Not like a Ruger #1 or a falling block,but pretty strong. I have shot max loads thru my guns including the 45-70 ,444Marlin,and the 500S&W Handi's. I have a friend that has turned two different Handi's from 45-70 to 45-90 Express. These guns will come fairly close to the ballistics of a 458Win Mag.

The guns are also a hand loaders dream. You can load any bullet to any length,right out to the lands. You can also drop the powder charge back to a cat fart load. Great for practice or for the younger shooter. I launch a 350gr out of my wife's 45-70 at 900fps and a 440gr out of my 500S&W at 670fps. Just kinda goes --> POOF ! Any Handi chambering is capable of subsonic vels. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Very good thread. I have 2, NEF in survivor 308 and one I got from Sawman in plain stock 30-30 I have yet to shoot! The.308 is a great shooter but it hates 7.62x51. ?? Werid huh? Cases always stick.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have owned a few over the years, currently one in 300 BO that I have not shot yet. Had a .308 Survivor that would stack rounds. Liked it so much I bought it back one time!

The better shooting time of the year is coming soon! Fall is my favorite time in NW FL.

Top Bottom