• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Gun TV did a series of videos awhile back about a Stoner build. While I enjoyed it, I was thinking I could build something better. ( where the hell are we going to get a CAV15 lower??) I felt like I could stick to Stoner's orginal design ideas and throw in some modern parts. Parts that I feel Stoner would have liked and probably used.
    I personally am not a fan of the "free floating hanguard" but they work, I have them..I just think accessories tend to multiply on them. I don't care for red dots, something else to crap out, not to mention the ridiculous prices. Etched reticle are my favorite. I have them on a few rifles/pistols.
    The carry handle ive always liked. Stable platform for the rear sight, protected from the types of bangs and drops that happen when outdoors. Jeeze im on a rant.

The build- PSA lower with gi trigger. Accuwedge. Magpul rifle stock in OD. Rifle tube,, buffer and spring.. Was going to use CF lower but wanted to be able to use bayo. Not sure if it would hold up.
    Upper - BCA side charger, the extra parts added later to Stoner's orginal design are not needed. 5.56 FN chf CL 1:9 barrel 20 inch with fsb and bayo lug. I wanted a 1:12 barrel, maybe later. Magpul rifle lenght handguard OD. Again this is a solid mounting handguard.
    Bayo- M9, solid bayo very well built.

Mags - magpul od.

The rifle feels solid not flimsy, twisty, or cheap and the weight difference is noticable. Much lighter.

Still need a few bits to complete, od sling and the 'Mercia flag OD grip. Jpritz is gonna turn one out for me. Might add a light.

Looking forward to shooting.

** I moved the carry handle to the proper position...

Attachments

• 20201020_180756.jpg
      20201020_180756.jpg
      2.2 MB · Views: 125
    • 20201020_180817.jpg
      20201020_180817.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 117
    • 20201020_180808.jpg
      20201020_180808.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 129
    • 20201020_180813.jpg
      20201020_180813.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 127
    • 20201020_180802.jpg
      20201020_180802.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 130
    Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Very cool Rebel!! What made you go with the side charger?
    Personally, I like them better. But 2 of Stoners previous builds one used a top charger and the other used a bolt mounted charging handle. The fa, bullet bump and the dust cover were pushed on him to get the contracts. The dip in the side of the bolt was Stoner's FA. Use your thumb, if something is wrong rechamber, per Stoner. Design wise just look at any AK and see how good it works. K.I.S.S, less parts, less machining. Also lighter and the AR works just fine without the extra crap.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have watched some of the InrangeTV presentation on their thoughts 'what would stoner do' project. What I liked most was the part of it being a light rifle. In my opinion relative to handling the M1 carbine at 5.5 lbs unloaded has the best handling characteristics of any military shoulder arm. Short but not too short. The cartridge is a little whimpy and there are some internal faults in it due to the tappit gas system. But over all I think it was just about the best handling service shoulder arm ever made. The original M16 was also very light, but a little too long. It was not intended for long range shooting being given a twist rate of 1 in 14. Resulted in the bullets tumbling quicker upon impacting flesh. Correcting the twist was good, but making barrels heavier was not so good. I am do not know enough about handguards to know what designs are best, but again being light is a goal.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also you have an instant reference if the weapon is "out of battery" as well as staying on target or very close to, while cycling the bolt. No $90 charging zip sticks.... lol.
    Does the dust cover still function on a side charger. In dirty environments an AR needs that cover because one gunk gets in, that design is in a lot of trouble.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see it does not still have a dust cover. Once an AR is loaded there is no reason to be directly manipulating the bolt. For reloading use the bolt release. Use quality ammo and keep the gun clean and all is well.

1603255767175.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom