APOD Firearms

My portable Black & Decker reloading bench for inside the house.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I have a large reloading bench in the garage, but it's either too hot or too cold to load out there. I built this portable reloading bench on a B & D Workmate 225 frame several years ago and I continue to improve on it. The top is clamped and bolted onto the Workmate and it is further strengthened with two 2x4's bolted to the bottom of the top. It is strong, and doesn't move or flex at all. It is also heavy. I have a Redding T-7 Turret Press on backorder to replace the RCBS RC II press and a Dillon "D-Terminator Electronic Scale" on order to replace the Lyman LE 1000 electronic scale that was purchased in 1994 and is now 27 years old and is still going strong. Not shown is a Dillon beam scale and other assorted goodies. I posted this to show what can be done if you are tight on space. This little setup works just perfect for me so I wanted to share.
    IMG_9318.jpeg

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’ve been throwing around the idea of a simple set up like that on my Workmate 150 with my Lee Classic single stage and use the Lee benchplate on some plywood pieces cut and bolted kinda like yours set up to work indoors...it’s so far down the list of honey do’s and work; on base our workload of maintaining aircraft has only increased since the USAF folks are on a port and starboard type setup every time there’s talk of a lockdown again...You know one half of the young fit servicemen sitting at home, while all the old retired fat guys work on the planes.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love being able to reload in the house! Never too hot or cold to start throwing something together when inside.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I built a portable workbench last summer when it was too damned hot to load in the garage, Started with 2 presses on it, but pulled one off as it was just too crowded. It's about a quarter inch narrower than the doorway between my house the the garage and has a pair of wheels so I can lean it back like a dolly and roll it around. Been damned nice this year.
    0c96b4bea71b5195a70ba7d07e5fdd22.jpg
    95210b6726846a23d4275a82f774556c.jpg

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You might contemplate an A/C-heater in the garage just for when you are there working..I just do not have inside room,or garge space. Bought a portable bldg so I guess that could be used

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    One more kid to get out of the house and maybe I can convince the wife to allow me to take over a room for reloading, especially since I built her a library earlier in the year.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The biggie is have solid mounting of the press used for full length resizing. I use a steel pipe embedded in concrete poured in a small plastic tube. It can be slid around so it is sort of portable. Best is a bolted down work bench for heavy resizing for securing a vise.

At the moment I am storing powder in the house, but that is not a good idea. I do not store outside since I have no way to avoid the higher summer temperatures. I do know that attic temperatures can degrade powders over a period of years from personal experience.
    Eventually I want get something like maybe a wine cooler set up in shed to store power. 55 F is recommend many people. Any cool chamber will also get rid of the excess moisture.

Bucklowery

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also don’t forget when going inside to stay away from carpet. Vacuuming and powder does not go together

Thanks

Buck

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have a large reloading bench in the garage, but it's either too hot or too cold to load out there. I built this portable reloading bench on a B & D Workmate 225 frame several years ago and I continue to improve on it. The top is clamped and bolted onto the Workmate and it is further strengthened with two 2x4's bolted to the bottom of the top. It is strong, and doesn't move or flex at all. It is also heavy. I have a Redding T-7 Turret Press on backorder to replace the RCBS RC II press and a Dillon "D-Terminator Electronic Scale" on order to replace the Lyman LE 1000 electronic scale that was purchased in 1994 and is now 27 years old and is still going strong. Not shown is a Dillon beam scale and other assorted goodies. I posted this to show what can be done if you are tight on space. This little setup works just perfect for me so I wanted to share. View attachment 103030
    Will your set up take the torque of FL sizing 308 cases ?

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Looks like you got 100 lbs of dog for a 10 lbs dog crate!

LOL. I would guess that the crate is for the 7 pound cat who rules the roost.
    [/QUOTE]
    He's 140lbs of fur that gets everywhere, and the small crate is for my wife's little 8lb dog who rules the roost. The big guy doesn't need to be kenneled, the little one will whine at my bedroom door all damned night if not, and has a tendency to talk the big guy into opening doors for her or knocking over the trash can or whatever. Left alone, he's perfectly behaved, she just has a knack for getting him into things he otherwise won't touch.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Will your set up take the torque of FL sizing 308 cases ?

Probably not. I'm only loading pistol caliber ammo, .38, .357, .45 Colt, 9mm, and 10mm. In the past I've loaded .45acp and .223. I didn't have any problems with .223, but I would think that the 308 big boys might be a little much for a bench like this. That's when I would go to the bench in the garage for something like 308. When my Redding T-7 turret press comes in I will move the RC II to the bench in the garage, but I don't anticipate loading any of the big rifle calibers, so what I have is working great for what I am reloading.

Top Bottom