• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hello, all. I haven't commented on a new-to-me gun in a while, but Christmas came early this year. I got voted for a bonus at work, and Mrs. sj1 insisted that I spend it on myself.
    I went pawn shopping, and handled this nice little H&R single shot 20 gauge. I actually looked at about 20 guns before this one would not let me put her down. It says "Greenwing Special" on the receiver, but I think it's gonna throw slugs and buckshot. It may get a paint job, too.
    I have a box of #6 that I plan to shoot, as soon as I can. I'll keep you posted.
    sj1

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Pics are coming soon. I plan a before and after series, since my 7 year old granddaughter picked out a color scheme for it.

"The brown should be green, the long barrel part should be brown, and the middle should be black. Then the bad aminals you're gonna shoot won't see it, cuz it looks like the woods. I'm pretty smart, huh, Pop-Pop?"

Now it's set in stone. Olive Drab stock and forend, Flat Dark Earth barrel, and leave the receiver blued. I'll be adding a fiber optic bead, and some other accessories of badassery, as well. Then I can shoot whatever growled at her Daddy on Halloween. By her request, of course.

Last edited:

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have several of these guns an love them!!270cal., 7mm-08, 243 an 20-12ga. barrels as well. The 12ga. has quite a kick to it as it is chambered in 3-one half inch mag. May be in laurel hill some this hunt season, have a blessed day, Denny

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This is "Before". I got to fire it the other day, just for function. I've carried it chasing bunnies a couple of times, with no bunnies around. It carries well, and points nice. I am waiting til after Christmas to start the mods.
    sj1

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Looks like its in good shape. I've been watching for a 20 like that for a friend of mine but all I've seen at Pawn Shops was overpriced junk.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah, I did see a lot of $350 guns at pawn shops I could have bought new for $199 at Academy or Walmart. This one slipped through the cracks, or someone forgot that an old gun could be marketed as "vintage", or whatever they want to call it.
    I didn't get that great of a deal, to be honest. It cost less than a new one, so that was a plus, and I like guns with some history to go along with them. This one was made in the early 80's, so I get the gun I might have been hunting with, instead of ripping my jeans, growing my hair, and going to metal concerts with chicks with fishnet stockings and leather mini-skirts.....No regrets at all, by the way.....
    sj1

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    What do NEF single shots cost new these days anyway? I saw a used .410 today marked $159.
    The last one I bought was for my son when he was 8 for $70 at Walmart. That was 16 years ago.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The lowest I saw on Gunbroker.com for a new H & R single shot 20 gauge was $185.00, with shipping to a FFL at $25, then their transfer fee and the Feds' blackmail...I mean background check.
    I did not pay that much, but a private sale would have probably done me better. This one just wouldn't let me put her down, and she had some character.
    Just by comparison, Walmart in Crestview has H&R Pardner pump-actions for $189.00.
    I paid $170.00, out the door for this early 80's single shot. I probably made their day, but again, it was a deal I was willing to make. It was what I wanted, for a price I was willing to pay.
    I've been thinking about taking my first deer with it, like I should have been thinking about back in '85. I'll be sighting in slugs soon.
    sj1

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As I said before I have 4 handi-rifles, if you buy them from someone an they are deer hunt caliber an with scopes mounted an with a extra shotgun barrel they will cost more of course, I think just a barrel in say 270cal. is around 300.00 dollars. What makes these littleguns good for me is I can take my 270cal. to the river, an stick my 12ga, 3-one half inch mag. barrel in boat an can change when I want to.These single shot rifles are very accurate as well, Denny in pace????

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It actually says GreenWing Classic, not Special, I goofed on that part. It may well be their name for the youth model at that time. It fits me like a glove.
    sj1

Top Bottom