• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Since I have some foreign military single shots and cast bullets for each, I've been kinda looking for a U.S. Trapdoor 45/70. Finally found a nice one...it arrived today. M1888 Rod Bayonet Rifle. Made in 1891 and inspection cartouche is marked 1891. Bore is bright, smooth, and rifling is sharp. It has most of its blue and case hardened colors, and nothing is buggered up about it.

Stock is stamped 811 and 13 NY. It was issued to the 13th Regiment of the New York State National Guard, rifle rack #811.

Did my rifle participate in the Spanish-American War? Well, sorta, but it never made it to Cuba. 13th NY (Brooklyn, NY) was requested (members were asked to volunteer) to be federalized to help guard the New York area, as the U.S. was afraid the Spanish Fleet would go up the east coast. May 3, 1898 the regiment was ordered to recruit 2 additional companies. The recruiters couldn't get enough volunteers to fully man the regiment (about 1008 officers and men), so the 4 companies of the 13th that had volunteered to be federalized were attached to the 22nd NY Regiment for New York area duty on May 7, 1898. It was finally determined that the Spanish Fleet was bottled up in Cuba, so there was no longer a threat to the east coast. On Nov 23, 1898, they were mustered out of federal service. I did read how many men deserted, drowned (2), and were discharged for medical reasons during their short active duty, but can't find the reference right now for all the numbers. Sure sounds like the U.S. was in a hurry to get volunteers for active duty in a short time.

Loaded my first batch of test loads today, using a hollow base 400gr bullet made of 20/1 lead alloy. Should be big and soft enough to conform to the bore and its 3 groove rifling. Tried to get a good pic of the bore. Suffice to say, the bore looks great!

56FD30EC-D27F-40D4-AA98-632962D22884.jpeg
    5BAE406B-6FC4-45AF-9E00-EC4E07C49521.jpeg
    46065901-E06B-479F-BDDC-0AB9915FB2E1.jpeg
    4E0B0D1D-92A5-4057-8913-5BBB451AD92B.jpeg

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very very nice. Some close ups of that Bayonet would be nice..

Real sweet crisp unit markings..

Last edited:

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You found some nice history on it, bore looks good. I have a Cadet Rifle made in 1890.

Mine is a Model 1884 with the sleeve Bayonet, I had to look up what the Model 1888 is,

Yours is correct with the Buffington Rear Sight. It's nice to use.

I got mine from a guy a while back with the accessories.

SA TRAPDOORl.jpg

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You found some nice history on it, bore looks good. I have a Cadet Rifle made in 1890.

Mine is a Model 1884 with the sleeve Bayonet, I had to look up what the Model 1888 is,

UMMMMM errrrr like you can say stuff like that with out
    posting some photos??? :) Perhaps in another thread would be nice..

Por favor..

1640818425501.png

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Bayonet is not very impressive. Photo of it partially extended. Photo showing a knurled piece (same on the opposite side) one presses in on both sides at the same time to release the rod bayonet. I think the bayonet is similar to the first bayonet for the M1903 rifle.

2387211E-A45C-4EFE-B68C-B3F2E53DEC9D.jpeg
    CABC47D7-31D2-42A3-95A5-4D4A465B5CD9.jpeg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Added info:

The 4 companies of the 13th Regiment were stationed at the Engineering Depot at Willet's Point by the Flushing River in Queens, NY during the war. A total of 2 men drowned, 23 deserted, and 18 were discharged with disability, but it's not clear if those men were all from the 13th or if some were from the 22nd of which the 4 companies of the 13th were attached to. Other than company G of the 22nd, also at Willet's Point, the rest of the 22nd were divided between Fort Slocum and Fort Schuyler (2 forts in the New York City area).

The Engineering Depot was a school for Army Engineers. Since it was near the waterfront, it stopped being a school with students and staff ordered to units preparing for war operations and became fortified during the Spanish American War, so that's why the 13th was stationed there.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I got mine from a guy a while back with the accessories.

View attachment 143339
    Very nice, a real good deal to get the extras with it. Closer upper photos would be apricated.. :)

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bayonet is not very impressive. Photo of it partially extended. Photo showing a knurled piece (same on the opposite side) one presses in on both sides at the same time to release the rod bayonet. I think the bayonet is similar to the first bayonet for the M1903 rifle.

View attachment 143343 View attachment 143344
    So how strong do you feel that rod would be?? Very nice rife.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Since I have some foreign military single shots and cast bullets for each, I've been kinda looking for a U.S. Trapdoor 45/70. Finally found a nice one...it arrived today. M1888 Rod Bayonet Rifle. Made in 1891 and inspection cartouche is marked 1891. Bore is bright, smooth, and rifling is sharp. It has most of its blue and case hardened colors, and nothing is buggered up about it.
    Definitely some excellent coloring on that one you have.

1.jpeg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Test fired loads this morning. Picked the best two, went home, and reloaded more rounds of the best two loads. Back to the neighbor's range to test the two and determine the best. 12 gr Unique, Lee cast HB 400 gr bullet, 2.55" oal. Not chronographed yet, but estimate in the 1100 fps range. I wanted a mild to moderate load for the sake of the gun and my shoulder and shooting enjoyment.

I like the rear sight (but it's best for younger folks with fine eyesight) in that it is windage adjustable (I had to tweak the windage adjustment). With the rear peep as low as it will go and still able to see the front sight, it's hitting 6 1/4" high at 35 yd. I'll play at longer ranges soon.

Tumbling the fired brass now. Suspect no resizing will be needed, only a slight belling of the mouth to be able to start the next bullet into the case.

Edited to add: Fired brass does need resizing...won't hold new bullet securely in case neck. Oh well.

Last edited:

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That slow speed and bullet drop makes me wonder what it's hitting at the 100yrd mark.

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    45-70 with the Buffington sight is VERY accurate with the original 405 grain bullet load.

I hunted with a trap door very similar to the one above. Personal experience, I shot a buffalo at 140 yards. Took one step and died. The Buffalo, not me. (Likely a lucky shot by me, but the bullet did work nicely)

I was at a range in Arizona. Some guy with small fast bullets was whacking the gong at 250 yards. It took two shots, but that 450 grain bullet tore the gong off the cable.

If you have the right load, and get lucky on your shot, it will deliver.

IMHO

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Not uncommon for old military single shots and some repeaters to hit high at close ranges since the lowest sight settings can be 200-300 yards. Lowest marking on the rear sight is 200. My friend has a larger size steel torso target. I'll set it up one day and shoot further distances and take notes of where the bullets hit vertically vs distance and sight settings for fun plinking.

Trigger pull is NOT light!

Bonus: My Danish rolling block also uses 12 gr Unique, and I have a powder measure semi-permanently set for 12 gr, so that part was easy.

After I felt the 12 gr Unique load was good, I deliberately fired 2 more shots which had visible wrinkles in the bullet that I'd set aside as not suitable for testing, but should be OK for plinking. Both shots were outside the 5 shot group (shots that are circled had wrinkles). Based upon this short test, it looks like any cast 45/70 bullets with visible wrinkles need to be recast and not used for longer distances.

146354FA-80C0-4720-8C51-3828027B95ED.jpeg

Last edited:

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Not uncommon for old military single shots and some repeaters to hit high at close ranges since the lowest sight settings can be 200-300 yards. Lowest marking on the rear sight is 200. My friend has a larger size steel torso target. I'll set it up one day and shoot further distances and take notes of where the bullets hit vertically vs distance and sight settings for fun plinking.

Trigger pull is NOT light!

Bonus: My Danish rolling block also uses 12 gr Unique, and I have a powder measure semi-permanently set for 12 gr, so that part was easy.

After I felt the 12 gr Unique load was good, I deliberately fired 2 more shots which had visible wrinkles in the bullet that I'd set aside as not suitable for testing, but should be OK for plinking. Both shots were outside the 5 shot group (shots that are circled had wrinkles). Based upon this short test, it looks like any cast 45/70 bullets with visible wrinkles need to be recast and not used for longer distances.

View attachment 143508

Here is my 1873 Trapdoor, Fun shooting guns.​

I shoot 340gn lead with 20-22gns of 2400 Mostly.
    Also have a beautifully done cut-down1878 Carbine.

Attachments

• IMG_0867 (1).jpg
      IMG_0867 (1).jpg
      116 KB · Views: 72
    • IMG_0871.jpg
      IMG_0871.jpg
      115.8 KB · Views: 65
    Top Bottom