• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just acquired a new Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed chambered in 6.5PRC.
    It is cerakoted "burnt bronze" in color with matching what I call "4 square" rings. The rings are a two piece setup (fore & aft) but have a square screw pattern X's 4. The rings are a "top cap" design usin 4 screw torx type.
    The gun has a "sporter weight" 24" bbl that has an extremely fast 1:7 twist. Making it able to stabilize any .264" bullet made. It comes with a radial style muzzle brake that is removable and a matching thread protector is provided.
    The guns total weight is 6.5lbs. My gun with rings and scope weigh 7lbs 7ozs. It is supplied with a super spongy recoil pad and the LOP is about 13.5 inches. Given the drom at the comb and style/thickness of the stock,this seems about perfect fo me. The "adjusted" trigger pull is 3lbs 3ozs. And is is like breaking a glass rod. With NO creep or overtravel.
    It has a tang two position safety but included is a push button on top of the bolt handle that allows you to leave the gun on safe and open the bolt to clear the chamber. It has a detachable mag that holds 3 or 4 rds depending on the chambering. The mag is polymer and is the rotary design.
    I selected this chambering for it's abaility to shoot bullets,especially the heavier ones,about 200-250fps faster than a 6.5Creedmoor. And for the bbl twist so that I did not have to worry about bullet stabilization. Even with the bullets >147gr and/or the bullets of "no lead" design (Barnes,Hornady).
    I consider this chambering a "reloaders chambering" because of its uniqueness,cost of factory ammo, it's very limited supply,and bullets offered.
    HOWEVER . . . right now the brass supply is pretty much non existant. Especially the Atlas brand which is highly recommended. I have some bullets coming already. This chambering uses slow burning powders. Retumbo,RL-25/26,H1000,and a couple others are indicated. I already have a couple of these.
    The case capacity is similar to a 270Win but in a much shorter,fatter case,which promotes accuracy. (Think the PPC's) The "parent" brass is the 375Ruger. Just necked down with the same OAL.
    I have put my Nikon 4.5-18X40 FFP w/BDC in this gun,at least for now. If it does not work out,I have a couple more in my safe that I will try. It wil take a 50mm objective scope if needed. And Browning makes rings of 1",30mm,and high,med,and low.
    NOW - - -> just waiting on some brass to load and shoot. --- SAWMAN
    20200623_153619.jpg
    20200623_153634.jpg

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    I knew it was bound to happen. But you can't join the 6.5 club without a creedmore.lol
    All kidding aside, that looks like a superb rifle , I was googling over the 308 on here.

Attachments

• index.jpg
      index.jpg
      4.3 KB · Views: 148
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I found it at a LGS James. I had researched the chambering plus a few others and was basically looking for something different. I am pretty much finished with carrying heavy guns and will sell some in 308Win and 223Rem AR's and use this gun for pretty much everything.
    A gun that is good at the longer ranges is great at the shorter ones . . however,sometimes,the opposite is not true.
    I will not be shooting out farther than 600yds but want minimum drops at those ranges if need be. I will pick 2 or 3 different bullets to test. There are some bad reviews re. the ELD's and a 7 twist bbl. However . . . great reviews using the 150gr+ bullets with this twist. And some of the 130gr+ bullets have a fairly high B.C. Some >.500 and beyond. If shooting a bullet of <120grs will use the no lead type so that I will not have to worry about the bullet coming apart at >300,000 revs.
    Might eventually switch to a 30mm scope . . however together with a higher magnification these scopes get very heavy and long. I will try to stick with a scope of at least 14X. I also like the FFP scopes not for ranging a target of known size,but for being able to change the size of the retical. Just works better for me.
    Meanwhile will be looking for several different powders. RL-25,RL-26,Retumbo,H1000,and a couple others are appropriate. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Cool. Looks like a fun project. Styx river has quite a bit of powder, and they will order items for you. As far as I could see they had the full line of hornady projectiles.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I might have some solids I can send you to a few to try... ABLR too

I have run a 1" 14X out to 900...hard to see strikes on dark targets...but you can do it with some strong staring.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Depending on your usage . . more power is better than less power . . the scopes quality being equal. I tell people that the LOWEST setting is almost as important as the HIGHEST.
    Problem with a lot of scopes on the market (even) nowadays is no AO or third turret to adjust for parallax. (However with some scopes,you can do it yourself if you know how. I have done several of mine) Some scopes are made so well that you can actually range fairly accurately with the AO or third turret.
    There are quite a few things that make a rifle scope correct for the specific weapon and job you are expecting the total package to accomplish. (That probably is best left for another thread.)
    With my 600,or stretching to 700yd max distance thing,I really do not need a super "busy" retical or HUGE magnification. Lighted,30mm+ main tube,and big zoom adds weight,length,and money invested,pretty quickly. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The one I used was a 4.5-14X40AO Leupold VXIII Tactical with USMC style Mil Dots...it came on my 700P...I had no issues at 600

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I could see myself effectively using the old style mildot retical. However I would use it for my recorded drops instead of rangeing.
    I did some longer range shooting in my military career and never wanted or needed the mildot to be effective. Used Unertil,Redfield,and Leatherwood. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Will most likely take a ride over in the AM. I hate to call them with a long list of "do you haves".
    Doing my research I have found that I will most likely need several different powders since I will be loading for heavy and light bullets. ---- SAWMAN

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I found it at a LGS James. I had researched the chambering plus a few others and was basically looking for something different. I am pretty much finished with carrying heavy guns and will sell some in 308Win and 223Rem AR's and use this gun for pretty much everything.
    A gun that is good at the longer ranges is great at the shorter ones . . however,sometimes,the opposite is not true.
    I will not be shooting out farther than 600yds but want minimum drops at those ranges if need be. I will pick 2 or 3 different bullets to test. There are some bad reviews re. the ELD's and a 7 twist bbl. However . . . great reviews using the 150gr+ bullets with this twist. And some of the 130gr+ bullets have a fairly high B.C. Some >.500 and beyond. If shooting a bullet of <120grs will use the no lead type so that I will not have to worry about the bullet coming apart at >300,000 revs.
    Might eventually switch to a 30mm scope . . however together with a higher magnification these scopes get very heavy and long. I will try to stick with a scope of at least 14X. I also like the FFP scopes not for ranging a target of known size,but for being able to change the size of the retical. Just works better for me.
    Meanwhile will be looking for several different powders. RL-25,RL-26,Retumbo,H1000,and a couple others are appropriate. --- SAWMAN

Where down there is a range to shoot some distance...

Gunin4m

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'm interested in hearing how your load development progresses with this chambering. With the 1:7 twist that Berger 153.5 grain with a G1BC of .694, should do well over the H1000. As for optics, the Athlon's are worth a look.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is my reason for getting this particular gun. People are having some difficulty with the >143gr bullets with the 1:8 twist guns. Slower twist than that (8.5 or 9) is a no-no. Several of the newer Browning guns are specifically advertised as faster twist guns. The 300Win Mag is 1:8 twist,which would be much better than the "normal" 10. NOW . . . if the gun makers would just wise up and start produceing the long range/target style 308Win chambered guns with a 1:8 twist offering . . . ?? I did notice that the 7mag guns now have a 8 twist bbl,new for this year. Down from the "normal" 9.5. I came pretty close to getting that chambering to shoot the bullets >161grs. (I love the 7mag)
    With the 6.5PRC,the bullets that are >140grs only require a couple different powders. The 100gr and up gives the reloader many more choices.
    I am still researching which bullets I will use. Both (or three) will be the hunting style vs target. The heavy can be most any. My "must haves" are a well defined boat tail,and the assurance of good performance at the slower vels of the longer distances. A .500 -.600 B.C. will be a real plus.
    Researching what bullets are available in the lower weights . . . I have found loads that I can get 3700fps if needed. Problem is this. This is a somewhat bigger bore than a .224" gun. With the same fast twist as a 223/5.56 a "inappropriate" bullet will come apart in flight at 300,000+ rpm's rotational velocity. So if I want to go light and fast . . I just might have to give up some weight AND speed to have more choices of bullets.
    If I can be satisfied with 3400fps that will allow me to use non soild copper Barnes and be able to use a "varmint advertised" type bullet. These,of approximately 100-120grs. Probably closer to 100.
    STILL - - -> brass will be the weak point of getting started. Even if I buy bv a couple bxs of Hornady ammo,that will still not get me the brass that I really want to use. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Faster twist are not always better. Faster twists take away from barrel life by building more pressure. Length of barrel, velocity and twist rate all work together. I thought I needed a 1-7” for the 115 DTACs in my 6mm. I smoked that barrel in 1100 rounds and have since found a 1-7.7” to give 25% better barrel life at the same velocity. Sawman you are definitely headed in the right direction by dropping velocity so that you don’t spin the jackets off of the bullets. But who wants to do that. Id stick to heavies and shoot them as fast as possible.

Top Bottom