• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me preface by saying I'm not new to heavy recoil as I shoot 300 win mag long range regularly, 44 magnum is my "go to" revolver and most of my range time is spent with large caliber firearms (then on to .22 caliber stuff???).

I recently bought an 870 slug gun and finally took it to the range today. I have never been much of a shotgun person but lately I've started gaining interest. I loaded it with Brenneke 3" Magnum Crush 1 1/2 oz slugs and took my first shot. DAMN! Busted my top AND bottom lip, cut my finger, bruised my shoulder and tweaked my back. After the bleeding slowed and I tended to my wounds I walked downrange and saw the hole this thing created. Holy cow that's a big hole!!! I immediately loaded another round and with blood still running down my chin I took aim and blasted another. I could only stand to shoot five rounds but I think I have found my new favorite gun.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Gonna have to try that. I wonder if 1 1/2 oz rifled slugs will kick just as much in a smooth bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5z2G2T5vhI&feature=youtu.be

This was my run last month at the IDPA side match....damn 3" no.6 birdshot beat my ass. We had to swap over to slugs for the second 5 shots, then back to the birdshot. If you watch, the damn birdshot had heavier recoil than my Brenekke sabot's! I was also battling a sinus infection and left snot all over the receiver! Still had the fastest time by far and won the side match !

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You sound like I used to be in my younger days Steve. The bigger the blast the more fun it was. Well, all but the .600 Nitro Express I fired one shot through. One was enough of that one. Last spring I fired a 3" slug sitting down off of a sandbag rest. One of them sitting was enough. I shot the rest of them standing.

steve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Congrats on the win jogan, Impressive shooting! Did you win because you were the only one tough enough to finish??? LOL I don't think I could have shot more than five rounds.
    You're right John, the bigger the blast the more fun. I'm just getting too old for the big blast I guess, now things hurt! I was standing for all of my shots today but almost got sat down on the first shot! Still my new favorite.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brenneke 2 3/4" Classic Magnum slugs are the "go to" load for bear defense up here in AK. They're stout -- I can only imagine the 3" Magnum Crush load. I believe the Magnum Crush load is only intended for rifled bore guns and not smooth bore. Thus, why most folks up here use the standard Classic Magnum load for dangerous game as it can be used in either smooth or rifled bore guns.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brenneke slugs are pretty bad ass... we used to use the Brenneke Rottweils hunting deer up in MN with the smooth barrels.

Now that we've all got the rifled barrels, most in our group have switched to the Winchester Supreme Elite sabots. Some of them are rated about 1850 fps and some at 2100 fps.

And yeah, a 12 guage slug at around 2000 fps is going to kick the snot out of you! I don't even like taking it to the range. Makes me flinch liked a kicked dog!

Top Bottom