• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    here's the letter i just wrote to mossberg. it will explain my situation. i HOPE they take care of this.

i have a brand new mossberg 930 tactical that i bought approx 2 weeks ago from a local walmart. the firearm was sold to me as new. all appearances show it is new. i brought it home and took it apart to clean. it did not look like it had every been clean, but the more i looked the more it looked like even though it may not have ever been fired it had deff been loaded MANY times and there were a few other signs of wear (like the white dot looks as though its peeling). no big deal. as i cleaned it more and reassembled (all i removed was the bolt and barrel) i noticed that the safety was jammed. it would not budge. i also noticed that the bolt seemed to stick. it just didn't feel right at all. it won't even lock open without a "strong" pull. i decided to first investigate the safety, so i removed the switch. come to find out the ball bearing is in the hole where the red dot is instead of resting on the spring. i tried to get the ball out but could not without actually doing damage to gun so i stopped. i then decided to see if i could figure out why the bolt feels "sticky" so i removed the stock to make sure the buffer tube wasn't bent or anything and low and behold i see that the threaded section by the received is cracked. looks like it has canted the tube just enough to cause the bolt to "stick" and would probably completely split apart after the first coulpe rounds. i'm no expert, but it looks like the stock nut was over tq'd or something. again...this gun has NEVER been fired. and i'm glad i found this before firing and have it fall apart on me. I did try to exchange it with walmart but they stated there was nothing they could do and i would need to come straight to the manufacture. i have owned MANY mossbergs and have always loved the quality of your firearms. I have included a picture of the cracked buffer tube and look forward to a resolution to my problems. i am eager to enjoy your product once again. Please let me know how to proceed. Thank you

Robbie Comelek

mb930_zps51995e9b.jpg

Last edited:

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All guns have been fired when they leave the factory. Your situation does suck - but the present of powder residue or brass from shells doesn't mean it isn't new.

Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah,,,i understand that part. this one didn't just have a few marks ect which is what threw me off. the back of the barrel and the feed ramp had tons of brass marks like it had been loaded over and over. not a big deal. the cracked buffer tube and the jammed safety are what bum me out! :(

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Be sure to let everyone know how this gets resolved. Very important for future purchases and a good opportunity for great customer service. Please keep us posted.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good that you found it and great pic to show us all...best of luck getting this fixed ASAP...

Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Be sure to let everyone know how this gets resolved. Very important for future purchases and a good opportunity for great customer service. Please keep us posted.

Yeah I'm VERY glad I found this before shooting it. If that had snapped while shooting the gun would have snapped in mine or my wife's hand and gone flying in who knows what direction.

And I will gladly let you know what happened. I have no problem with the fact thT there is a fault in this gun as long as they fix it.

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I sent a mossberg rifle back that was used. fixed it and sent to right back, no problems. Hopefully they will make you happy as well.

I am curious though, do you think Wal-mart sold then gun and then took it back. Wouldn't there some paperwork tracking a former sale?

Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    welp, mossberg sent me a whole new receiver. they definitely lived up to the reputation of customer service. Shot her this weekend and she shoots like a champ. swapped to the spx barrel and sights and put a tacticool safety on her. Still waiting on the backordered tube extension and flashlight mount.

top is a sar arms semi auto. bottom is the mossberg

null_zpseac42b84.jpg

null_zps7e249dc5.jpg

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    That's great to hear that they took care of you. I've always looked on Mossberg kind of like I look on Marlin - good, no flash products at a down-to-earth price.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glad to hear Mossberg took good care of you. Since the Receiver is the serialized part didn't Mossberg have to do the ATF paperwork/ID stuff before they "Sent" it to you? Even on an exchange I would think the standard checks would need to be done.

I never owned a Moss but have had many (especially the 500's) brought to me for repair. Glad yours are up and running fine.

Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glad to hear Mossberg took good care of you. Since the Receiver is the serialized part didn't Mossberg have to do the ATF paperwork/ID stuff before they "Sent" it to you? Even on an exchange I would think the standard checks would need to be done.

I never owned a Moss but have had many (especially the 500's) brought to me for repair. Glad yours are up and running fine.

yeah, i'm not sure what they had to do paperwork wise. the invoice i got with it though showed the serial number change out but didn't say anything about it. they might have some freedoms due to it being a shotgun vs rifle or handgun.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good for them! I am happy to see companies stepping up and putting customer service first...

Top Bottom