• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is my Zastava M-85 AK pistol (top) chambered in 5.56 shares the same AR mags as my AR pistol (bottom) both are a fun to shoot but... the AK is much smoother IMO! :cool:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With a 20 round hungarian mag, folding brace, that would be some compact, but very loud fire power. I have been lusting over something like that, but just never made the effort to do anything about it. Perfect antidote for a blm roadblock gone violent.
    I have an AR upper with short barrel in that caliber, but it will not fire properly if its brace were folded.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Always wanted one of those Mini or Micro Dracos for the exact same reason. I ended up getting a deal on a M92 PAP and have had a blast with that thing. Put a brace and a Manticore night brake muzzle device on it and man that thing is fun. Have fun with it and mind your fingers with that short barrel.

Last edited:

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Talking about the noise, I use ear plugs and muffs when shooting it at the range. It is loud, a BLAST to shoot. It has been 100% reliable, NO malfunctions what-so-ever. I bought it from Jay's several gun shows ago, just before COVAD-19. The way things have worked out I'm glad I got it when I did. Due to COVID I've not been to a gun show since. They seem to be out of stock everywhere now.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always wanted one of those Mini or Micro Dracos for the exact same reason. I ended up getting a deal on a M92 PAP and have had a blast with that thing. Put a brace and a Manticore night brake muzzle device on it and man that thing is fun. Have fun with it and mind your fingers with that short barrel.
    With my 7-8 inch AR uppers, minding my fingers has been a concern and I do not want something that will snag when being taken out of a bag or case, but I will figure something out.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Now that’s a beautiful couple!! I’ve always wanted an AK47, and go crazy seeing other people’s pics of theirs. One of these days I hope to as one to the collection. Any thought on which one would be the best choice to go with when it comes down to all the positives and negatives for an AK-47 rifle. Is there one brand overall that would make the best choice in for an AK?

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I am by no means an AK expert but have shot a few variations over the years. I am very pleased with my Zastava PAP M-85. The fit and finish on the Zastava's (made in Serbia) seems to be better than many of the other makers. FWIW the Zastava's all have the capability to lock the bolt open which is really handy on many ranges that require the bolt/ slide locked open for safety. Most of the other makers of AK's don't have that feature. Good luck!

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now that’s a beautiful couple!! I’ve always wanted an AK47, and go crazy seeing other people’s pics of theirs. One of these days I hope to as one to the collection. Any thought on which one would be the best choice to go with when it comes down to all the positives and negatives for an AK-47 rifle. Is there one brand overall that would make the best choice in for an AK?
    A very good question because many of the made in USA AKs are Junk.

Good intro video

If the AK is an AKM, that is stamped receiver, you want forged trunnions and not cast. Pay attention to the rivets and way out of alignment sights and also alignment of the bolt vs the front trunnion.
    for tests of specific brands and models look up videos by ak operators union local 47-74

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am by no means but have shot a few variations over the years. I am very pleased with my Zastava PAP M-85. The fit and finish on the Zastava's (made in Serbia) seems to be better than many of the other makers. FWIW the Zastava's all have the capability to lock the bolt open which is really handy on many ranges that require the bolt/ slide locked open for safety. Most of the other makers of AK's don't have that feature. Good luck!
    The original design by Kalashnikov did not include a hold open. I thought the yugos were held open by a modified follower on the mag. On ranges the mag must be removed when the range is cold.
    The Zastava's are made by Century and that is not a good recommendation" the model is the
    Century Arms Yugo M70AB2
    Typical yugoslavian mag below
    1596975267416.png

I know the saigas have a proper bolt hold open.
    One can modify or buy modified safety selectors that will manually lock open the bolt and use that with the yugo mags on most AKs.
    1596975745489.png

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My Zastava M-85 uses 5.56 AR mags and has the notch in the safety lever like the above pic to lock back the bolt and is not dependent on the magazine..

Latest posts

Top Bottom