• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Do not really understand your above. "Cold bore shot" ?? Which of the five was the cold bore shot. I myself do not know. Do you know ?? How do you know ?? --- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do not really understand your above. "Cold bore shot" ?? Which of the five was the cold bore shot. I myself do not know. Do you know ?? How do you know ?? --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN you do know what I'm conversing about. That cold bore shot is the one that you take from a clean cold bore and it has to strike the target at an unknown range. It has to due it every time from every range in order to ensure that your comrades in arms live to see tomorrow. And you are not allowed to fail with that Cold Bore Shot when you are in the OVERWATCH POSITION. So dumb it up if you can't scratch the mark, but If you have been there and got the T-Shirt don't dangle me like fish food. JMHO.

So lets put that grouping that missed the bulls eye a thousand yards down range and your responsible for bringing that seaman Home. Guess you just failed and you don't even get a second round to fix your primary mistake.
    How important is your off target group at 100 yards relevant to saving one of your troops lives at 1000 yards with just one shot!

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With the thremals eye relief being so close the adjustable stock of an AR or the short stock of a "youth model" bolt or single is what suits me best. The RARR shown has a 12.5" LOP as does my NEF Handi (ACC Edition). Both have a 1:7 twist bbl also which aids in terminal performance for hunting.
    I also feel that for my purposes,hogs,deer,coyotes,at less than 1000yds (?) A wider bullet is better. Of course you have to factor in speed,makeup of bullet,etc,etc,but in general,cutting a wider hole going it does not close as easy. I also believe that centrifugal force in the faster twist bbls helps to pull the bullet open faster OR appropriately, especially at the 500fps or so, <308Win speeds.
    With the great .308" light weight (<151grs) bullets being offered by Barnes and others,chamberings as mentioned above really shine with the <126gr bullets also. The 125gr NosBalTip comes to mind.
    My ultimate NW Fla critter getter will eventually evolve from a 6.8SPC most likely. BUT - -> what to build,what to get is still iffy.
    Your above info and discussion on the two 30's is extremely interesting to me. I though that I had the HAM'R nailed down . . ? . . BUT ? --- SAWMAN

Norm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure exactly how you measured this group, but at .273, you may have slightly shorted yourself.
    I think I’d call that 1/4”.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    As always Norm. Outside to outside at its furtherest point then subtract the bore diameter.
    If I am wrong in this,please advise. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Your above info and discussion on the two 30's is extremely interesting to me. I though that I had the HAM'R nailed down . . ? . . BUT ? --- SAWMAN

Just briefly looking at the numbers both are close with the TAC 30 offering a little more... significantly more? Not really.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    While my firearm mounted thermal is rated above 308Win recoil inertia, I would like to stay a little below that if possible,just to stay safe. I have seen how the 6.8 from a 10.5" bbl hammers hogs and deer but need a little more trajectory for the farther out yotes that we see almost every time out.
    This is the reason why subsonic anything does not appeal to me. ESPECIALLY the larger bore guns like the 450Bushmaster (I have a single shot that would be perfect for subs),350Legend,and the like.
    Even the bigger hogs don't take alot of killin'. Good placement of a properly designed bullet,at the proper speed,is the key. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom