Patriot Mobile

Mossberg Shockwave....serious defense weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As we are here talking about this on a forum with how accurate we are with a weapon from our keyboard, lets factor in actual real world duress situation with adrenaline pumping and things happening faster than you expect.

That is where training, manual of arms, and in my opinion a weapon that acts like an extension of your body feeling natural comes into play. Why I'll take something I can shoulder and move my body with over something that you two-hand freely with no other support.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As we are here talking about this on a forum with how accurate we are with a weapon from our keyboard, lets factor in actual real world duress situation with adrenaline pumping and things happening faster than you expect.

That is where training, manual of arms, and in my opinion a weapon that acts like an extension of your body feeling natural comes into play. Why I'll take something I can shoulder and move my body with over something that you two-hand freely with no other support.

Oh it all goes to hell in a handbasket when the lead starts flying. Too many dashcam videos to dispute that. Shootout other day in daylight on street in Houston following high speed chase. Three cops apparently didn't manage to cut a hair on the single shooter they blazed away at. And he initially appeared trapped in his car. Adrenaline does some mighty fine things...except when it doesn't.

Can you say "all jacked up on Mountain Dew"?

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yup, why I say training and a plan go a long ways over not having one.

That plan is to throw everything you know out of the window and handle the situation at hand the best you can.

drc2777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got one in 12 gauge with a Minisol adapter and six-shell saddle, this is my take from toying with it so far.

I can see it being good for tight/close engagements alone, possibly even a good door breacher; but the recoil and shooting stance to aim with it makes any use besides that more tricky (possibly the 20 and 410 gauge variants might be more effective solo?) But minishells do work pretty well with an adapter and make it more manageable.

I've heard that even though it's small enough to conceal, it's not recommended because of it's classification as a "firearm" versus a "pistol", etc. and that could cause trouble with the law if encountered, but as before that's hearsay.

If wanting to put a brace on it, I'd recommend getting a Tac-14 instead, because of the position of the safety in relation to the pistol grip.

Now if wanting to turn it into an SBS, it's actually considered to be an excellent choice for that, since it'd just require getting a 590 stock and the stamp. With that, I could actually see it at it's best potential for a home defense shotgun.

For suppressing it, it doesn't come with an original threading and haven't seen one too many modifications in that direction, but I believe Carlson's will offer to thread Shockwave barrels sold by them. With that, maybe a SilencerCo 12 gauge suppressor of the right length and shell, and you might have what'd be an average sized shotgun but suppressed.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’m gonna buy a 20 gauge when the price comes back down. I saw them as cheap as $250 before the panic.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I'm of the wrong side of the "rack a shell and they'll run" equation. But I do think the sound of racking a shell is well known and I like it.

Just have an old Mossberg 500 here but it does have some OO shot shells in it. I took it out to the range just last month and cleared up some wild bushes for them. A shotgun does a bunch of hurt with one trigger squeeze.
    I had a home invader in Myrtle Grove knock my front door off its hinges. He jumped off my second story porch when I racked a shell into my 870. The sound works. He knew he was seconds from dying. I've had a couple of Shockwaves. I sold them because of the limited mag tube capacity. One had an OpSol adapter for Minishells and a side saddle receiver mounted shell holder. It still just didn't hold enough ammo for me. I'm not going to bet my life on the need to call timeout for a reload only 5 or 10 rounds into a firefight, assuming I can find cover to reload behind and assuming I haven't maneuvered away from a source of ammo. But for a hiking snake charmer or a boat gun or a rucksack sized subsistence small game hunting gun, it fits the bill

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    #1. My Moss Shockwave would hold 9+1 of the Aguila Mini Shells (buckshot combo) Seems enough to me.
    #2. Someone please demonstrate to me how to corner clear in a house with your long gun SHOULDERED. THIS ... while exposing as much of your body to the BG as with 14" Moss or Rem.
    In a home invasion sanario I do not feel that 10 shots from me will EVER happen.
    And a "side saddle" would only get in my way. If felt needed,would rather drop several into a shirt pocket.
    I am still looking for some sort of shot spreader.
    My tests have shown that with a cyl bore gun,shooting any load the pattern is still way to tight for my purposes and ranges.
    I want 2.5 - 3 feet at 15yds. Especially with 2.75" large shot. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Redleg155

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Couple of days ago in Tampa. I would guess his training, if any, went totally out the window (no pun intended) ..he is in a moving vehicle responding to what he perceived was gunfire in a self involved road rage incident.

Straying a bit off topic....

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220203-050236.jpg
      VideoCapture_20220203-050236.jpg
      26.6 KB · Views: 77

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Couple of days ago in Tampa. I would guess his training, if any, went totally out the window (no pun intended) ..he is in a moving vehicle responding to what he perceived was gunfire in a self involved road rage incident.

Straying a bit off topic....
    That's a sillyvilian with no training and a perfect example of someone who doesn't need to own a weapon.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ok...is the Mossberg Shockwave a serious defense weapon or more of a "thing"?

I was recently looking at the "night stick" version with wood stocks and it is definitely an interesting weapon, but would anyone consider it a serious HD weapon?

I have a Benelli M4 for home protection and have no plans to retire it, but a Shockwave could be an interesting weapon that could be discreetly placed in the house,

Depends on the shooter, but I'd say Yes to home defense. The Mossberg 590 mechanics are tried and true. This is just a shorter barrel and different grip. The challenges of the ergonomics are a Training and range time issue. There shouldn't be any question of a weapon reliability issue.

I've shot high brass, low brass, slugs, 00-buck, birdshot, 3", 2&3/4", and minishells through a Mossberg Shockwave. There is a definite recoil difference along the spectrum, but it isn't going to jump out of your hands. Proper technique and how you push-pull hold the weapon, various aiming options, grip strength, upper body strength, etc, all play a part in how much or how little you enjoy the experience.

Even "shooting from the hip", you can make consistent hits on a paper plate sized target from double-digit yardage distances. Just takes practice.

Sure, add some adrenaline and real world stress and group sizes increase, but that's the same for any firearm. Perfect practice will shrink those groups back down, but again, that's for Any firearm.

As for the discussion about concealing it, etc...
    Yes, concealing the "not-a-shotgun" firearm turns it into an AOW. So, you have that to consider if it's a TRAVELING defensive tool that you want loaded and UNlocked. But for traveling with it unloaded and locked up, it is TINY and doesn't need a large gun case, and it can be made "ready" rather quickly.

And for HOME Defense, no need to conceal it, so it's a non-issue.

Finally, Mossberg now offers the 590S. The "S" is important because it reliably cycles the "S"hort minishells, interchangeably in the mag tube. No need for the limitations of the Opsol adapter. Blast away!

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Personally, I'd never travel with this as a readily accessible "defense weapon", particularly interstate. You might as well be ridin dirty with a machine gun on your lap. You are ASKING for legal trouble. You may be asking for other trouble too, but that's another issue.

I like the Shockwave Raptor forend over OEM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom