• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, so I didn't know better when I wanted an AK on a AR platform. I assembled a Moriarti Arms AK. First trip out it would only fire 2 or 3 rounds of wolf ammo then a light primer strike. I did my research and ordered the upgraded hammer spring and firing pin. Still having problems with steel ammo. I thought about putting the firing pin in my lathe and removing a couple of thousands. Problem is when I look at the primer strikes they look deep. I'm concerned about the repercussions of shaving to much off and the firing pin going all the way through the primer. Anyone have any suggestions?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Trash in the firing pin channel?? Or rough spots dragging on the pin? Cycle the weapon a few rounds by hand ( pull back, let fly) and see if you get firing pin "tics" on the rounds. Ymmv

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Trash in the firing pin channel?? Or rough spots dragging on the pin? Cycle the weapon a few rounds by hand ( pull back, let fly) and see if you get firing pin "tics" on the rounds. Ymmv
    Thanks Rider but this weapon is new. Only fired 10 rounds so I don't think it's trash but will check to make sure. Are you talking about looking for tics before I lathe the firing pin or after?

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry Rider, I feel stupid now because I got so many guns, it was the 45 ACP I was having feeding problems from Moriarit not the 7.62. It is a Areo precision. This is a common problem when shooting steel ammo in these guns.

Attachments

• AK.jpg
      AK.jpg
      948.2 KB · Views: 107
    • AK.jpg
      AK.jpg
      948.2 KB · Views: 100

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sorry Rider, I feel stupid now because I got so many guns, it was the 45 ACP I was having feeding problems from Moriarit not the 7.62. It is a Areo precision. This is a common problem when shooting steel ammo in these guns.
    Yep, some guns do not like steel case. My ria 45 will, my llama 45 won't even chamber. Unless I "forward assist " the slide, nope.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What you think about taking a couple thousands off the fire pin. Would it make a difference? What would happen if I take off to much and it goes all the way through the primer?

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang thing is I don't own any brass 7.62, back when I seen that Obama was going to get elected I started buying Wolf and having it shipped to my door. It's crazy how all my AK's will chew right through it but this one if picky.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    What you think about taking a couple thousands off the fire pin. Would it make a difference? What would happen if I take off to much and it goes all the way through the primer?
    Gas in face, no!. Same thing, cycle and see if it's ticking the primers. That will tell you if it's free floating or not.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, I will go check now. I got off early. For the record, it cycles perfectly, just light primer strikes. Let me go check what you suggested.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    So you're still getting light primer strikes with a heavy hammer spring and a modified firing pin?
    I would try a new firing pin and then different ammo

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's what I got after cycling 5 rounds.

Attachments

• 20220418_135559.jpg
      20220418_135559.jpg
      665.5 KB · Views: 98
    • 20220418_135614.jpg
      20220418_135614.jpg
      211.1 KB · Views: 89

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So you're still getting light primer strikes with a heavy hammer spring and a modified firing pin?
    I would try a new firing pin and then different ammo
    This is correct! This is my second firing pin designed to fix this problem and still have the same problem.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The ammo is the only thing I have not tried yet.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've read up on it and I'm pretty sure i'm stuck using that steel in my good old fashion AK's Should have done my research ahead of time. I'll pick up some good ammo this week and try it at the camp this weekend. Thanks for all the advice fellows. I love this site.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Possible they mis tagged the pin. I got one from psa that worked. Noticed that psa and bca ship with the enhanced firing pin now.
    The 2 I've bought have not come from PSA, no more than what the cost I'll buy one and try it. It can't hurt at this point.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom