• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    449769017_122124271964304800_2171543370228833398_n.jpg

Our badass of the day...Private 1st Class Raymond M. Clausen, US Marine Corps, Medal of Honor, Vietnam.
    (October 14, 1947 – May 30, 2004)
    Clausen was born on October 14, 1947 in New Orleans, Louisiana. He graduated from Hammond High School (Louisiana) in 1965 and attended Southeastern Louisiana University for six months before enlisting in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve in New Orleans on March 30, 1966. He was discharged to enlist in the regular Marine Corps on May 27, 1966.
    Private Clausen received recruit training with the 3rd Recruit Training Battalion, Recruit Training Regiment, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California, and individual combat training with the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Infantry Training Regiment at Camp Pendleton, California. He then completed Aviation Mechanical Fundamentals School and the Basic Helicopter Course at Naval Air Technical Training Center in Memphis, Tennessee.
    He completed his training in April 1967 and was transferred to Marine Aircraft Group 26 (MAG-26), Marine Corps Air Facility, New River, Jacksonville, North Carolina, where he served as a jet engine mechanic with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 365 (HMM-365) and, later, as a guard with Marine Air Base Squadron 26 (MABS-26).
    In December 1967, Private First Class Clausen was ordered overseas to serve as a jet helicopter mechanic, which he did throughout his tour of active duty service. He joined the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, with Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 36 (H&MS-36), Marine Aircraft Group 36 (MAG-36) until September 1968, then with HMM-364, Marine Aircraft Group 16 (MAG-16) until the following August. PFC Clausen then returned to the United States, where he joined Marine Aircraft Group 26 (MAG-26) at Marine Corps Air Station New River for duty with HMM-261.
    He began his second tour of duty in November 1969 with HMM-263, MAG-16, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific. On January 31, 1970, as part of a mission to rescue Marines who were stranded in a minefield near Da Nang, under heavy enemy fire, he made six trips out of his CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter through the minefield, carrying back eleven wounded Marines and one dead until the last Marine was accounted for.
    On August 19, 1970, upon his return to the United States, he was released from active duty at the rank of PFC.
    On June 15, 1971, he was presented the Medal of Honor by President Richard M. Nixon in a ceremony at the White House.
    Citation:
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 263 during operations against enemy forces. Participating in a helicopter rescue mission to extract elements of a platoon which had inadvertently entered a minefield while attacking enemy positions, Pfc. Clausen skillfully guided the helicopter pilot to a landing in an area cleared by 1 of several mine explosions. With 11 marines wounded, 1 dead, and the remaining 8 marines holding their positions for fear of detonating other mines, Pfc. Clausen quickly leaped from the helicopter and, in the face of enemy fire, moved across the extremely hazardous mine laden area to assist in carrying casualties to the waiting helicopter and in placing them aboard. Despite the ever-present threat of further mine explosions, he continued his valiant efforts, leaving the comparatively safe area of the helicopter on 6 separate occasions to carry out his rescue efforts. On 1 occasion while he was carrying 1 of the wounded, another mine detonated, killing a corpsman and wounding 3 other men. Only when he was certain that all marines were safely aboard did he signal the pilot to lift the helicopter. By the courageous, determined and inspiring efforts in the face of the utmost danger, Pfc. Clausen upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the U.S. Naval Service.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Nov. 11 was the day we honored military veterans. However, any day is appropriate to acknowledge the service, and sometimes the sacrifice, of American veterans. So when you meet Indian veterans or any veterans let them know their contribution to America fills you with great pride.

I graduated from U.S. Grant High School with Warren Walkabout whose younger brother Billy, also a Grant graduate, is the most decorated Native American soldier of the Vietnam War, according to a Defense Department publication. Both Walkabouts were native Oklahomans.

As a former U. S. Army Airborne Ranger chaplain, it feels me with pride to know that my good friend’s brother served as an Army Ranger in Vietnam in the Company F, 58th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division.

Military records show that Bill Walkabout, a Cherokee, received the Distinguished Service Cross, five Silver Stars, 10 Bronze Stars (including five with valor device), seven Air Medals, 10 Army Commendation Medals (including five with valor device) and six Purple Hearts.

He was awarded his Distinguished Service Cross “for his actions in a reconnaissance mission behind enemy lines in November 1968. Under fire for several hours, Sergeant Walkabout was seriously wounded, three members of his 12 strong team were killed at the scene, and one other died later from injuries. The citation for his award notes that he simultaneously returned fire, helped his comrades and boarded injured soldiers onto evacuation helicopters. He spent six months in a coma, recovering and later returned to Vietnam. He retired as a Second Lieutenant.”

In a 1986 interview with the Associated Press, Walkabout said his 23 months in Vietnam left him with disabling injuries and memories that refused to fade.

“War is not hell,” Walkabout said.“It’s worse.”

He said, “I’m at peace with myself. I’ve got my dignity, and I’ve got my pride…I never lost the war in Vietnam. I never lost a day of it. Even when I was wounded, I didn’t lose. When I fought, I won. I won my wars.”

Billy suffered from complications arising from exposure to the Agent Orange defoliant used in Vietnam. He was waiting for a kidney transplant and took dialysis three times a week. He died March 7, 2007, of pneumonia and renal failure. He is survived by his wife and several children from earlier marriages.

In the next legislative session, I will honor this remarkable Oklahoman and Native American with a concurrent House and Senate Bill. I will name a mile of Interstate 40, which runs in front of the future Native American Cultural Center and Museum, as the “The Billy Walkabout Memorial Mile.” I predict that this bill will pass unanimously.

I salute the family of Billy Walkabout. May his memories fill them with pride and love.

Rep. Paul Wesselhöft

Oklahoma House of Representatives, District 54 (Moore)

Top Bottom