• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Poboy55

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stumbled upon a Marlin 336CS at my local pawn shop the other day in need of some serious TLC. Some genius felt the need to carve up the wood furniture and the metal finish has some slight rust but no pitting. Also the rear sight is broken and the front band screw was replaced with some screw they found laying around that is at least 1/4 inch too long. All of this didn't deter me from saying I'll take it at $130 out the door. Since I am always on a tight budget, I had to lay it away and will probably pick it up next month. The. The fun can begin. I am asking for recommendations or any input really. I know I will want to replace the sights all together and eventually probably put a ram line synthetic stock on it. I will definitely be using iron sights primarily, but I'm also considering adding a rail for the use of a reflex type sight. Really open to ideas here. Just please remember that I am on a seriously tight budget so please don't tell me I need an eotech sight or some $200 part. I'm looking for low cost cool ideas of things I can do myself. I am not a gunsmith by any means, but I love to tinker. Let me know what u think.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    have it aluminum oxide blasted, paint it. Doesnt have a lot of moving parts, so even some bbq paint will keep the rust at bay. Be unconventional, with your budget and the initial investment, why not? Use color, krylon has some cool camo colors, olive drab green , tan, black, etc.

Paint it bright green and black, cut it down to 16" and have a compensator attached. Even lever actions can hunt zombies

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Boyds has laminate stocks that are a perfect fit for the 336. Come in all colors and are very inexpensive. AFA sights. The Sightron reflex from Academy 99$ works great. Rails..well I think I have 4 of them I took off of various marlins laying around. Paint is probably the best option for a finish. I have an old 336 in .32 win that needs attention. Maybe seeing someone working on one will motivate me to drag it out. Lol

Poboy55

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of painting it already. I really like the zombie rifle idea too. But I was actually thinking of attempting more of a matte stainless look almost. And with the wood trying to get the stain to a nearly black laminate look. Like the Ruger black laminate stocks. I think if I could pull that off I'd be really happy with the end result. I have been looking and haven't seen anything like that out there. So it would be unique, which is really cool too. I came up with this idea last night. What do u think?

Poboy55

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

They look good. I like the idea of a reflex sight. The peep sights seem cool but may present a challenge for me. Due to a fishing accident when I was a kid I am now right handed and left eye dominant. So some sights are pretty difficult for me to line up correctly. The more open the sights the better for me. I think that is a large part of why I favor shotguns with the front bead only. I would like to try a peep sight setup before I would commit to buying one for sure.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    parallax free red-dot would be the way to go for you if you have trouble lining up sights.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Peep sights have good and bad points. I personally don't care for them. The stock irons are easier for me to pick up. As for a brushed stainless look. Yep. Get 2 coats of silver Duracoat down then lightly wipe the gloss off with gray scotchbrite in one direction only....brushed stainless.

Poboy55

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Peep sights have good and bad points. I personally don't care for them. The stock irons are easier for me to pick up. As for a brushed stainless look. Yep. Get 2 coats of silver Duracoat down then lightly wipe the gloss off with gray scotchbrite in one direction only....brushed stainless.

Awesome thanks for the advice. One more question, is there somewhere in particular I would get the duracoat?

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I get it direct from Lauer Custom Weaponry. It's roughly 19$ plus shipping. Will need an airbrush or one of their spray cans to apply it. Scotch brite the surface and degrease with brake parts cleaner is the easiest DIY method. If there are any small pits in the metal shoot a base coat then sand lightly with a 220 grit sponge after 24 hours. Second coat will be slick then wait another 24 and " brush " with the fine scotchbrite.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FYI a 4oz bottle will do that complete rifle about 3 times so if it doesn't look right....do it again. Lol

Poboy55

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cool, thanks for the advice. I will definitely be looking to do that. The brushed stainless look is exactly what I had in mind.

Poboy55

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really have been looking for a couple years. And the timing is really excellent as I am finishing up with my last couple classes right now and am about to have more time on my hands than I have in a while. This should help to keep me out of trouble. Idle hands and all that.

Top Bottom