• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RickG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was going to go out for a run today but now I am not so sure.
    I been getting back into shape hard and this is my 4th week but 100F in the shade is a lot of heat for a 50 yr old to run in.
    Maybe I'll wait until the sun goes down....

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I’m tired of the humidity and heat already, can’t wait for Fall to hurry up and get here, ready for some college football and hunting season. Wishful thinking but I’d like to see a heavy frost in the morning

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I been getting back into shape hard and this is my 4th week but 100F in the shade is a lot of heat for a 50 yr old to run in.

You're insane. I still don't want to come out of my AC after dark.

FPL doesn't want me to either.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Good on you brother! Recently got back in shape myself. Took 9 months to lose 40lbs but oh so worth it. Yes hit it once the sun goes down, or early morn in this heat!

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I loved summer when I was younger. Not so much anymore.
    I would move to Kentucky if my wife would let me.

RickG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good on you brother! Recently got back in shape myself. Took 9 months to lose 40lbs but oh so worth it. Yes hit it once the sun goes down, or early morn in this heat!
    Now I am losing my energy a bit...

I did do a super good full body workout at the gym last nite.
    But it also means I cant go back to the gym tonite because I hit every muscle group yesterday already and I dont believe in back to back for the same muscle group.

Maybe I just do a real short run as soon as the sun goes down.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

But it also means I cant go back to the gym tonite because I hit every muscle group yesterday already and I dont believe in back to back for the same muscle group.

Go find some audio of David Goggins and get after it!

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Switch it on different days, as an example I will do weights MWF then box/martial arts TF, then do the opposite the next week. Keeps it interesting and you have to be mentally engaged to keep track of the days lol

RickG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Switch it on different days, as an example I will do weights MWF then box/martial arts TF, then do the opposite the next week. Keeps it interesting and you have to be mentally engaged to keep track of the days lol
    I am not at the level yet where I can think about participating in a real Dojo.

There is minimum level of fitness necessary to exercise truly hard and not push yourself past your injury threshhold.

Right now I am carefully exercising as often and hard as I can without getting to that injury threshold.

And I am successful with that.
    back in the day when I exercised 15-20 times a week (iron pumps, swims, runs , kick boxing sessions) and looked like an extra in a Gladiator movie, I often had issues with plantar fasciitis and tennis elbow.

Getting back into shape at much higher weight and much greater age means the risk of those coming back in force and stopping my exercise regimen i its tracks, is tremendous.
    But not a trace of that so far in my 4th week, so I think I am doing alright.

I just did a run BTW. Albeit a short one.
    But a short run is better than no run :)

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Still run just go uphill for shorter distances. Every step uphill is worth 1.5 steps on flat ground and you're lifting your feet higher. Maybe run shorter distances with added weight or in sweat pants. Remember to pound protein by eating a spoonful of non-transfat peanut butter or a boiled egg (or two) immediately after the run, to rebuild muscle and not cannibalize your existing muscle. I dropped a minute and a half off of my 1.5 mile run time before basic training and all I did different was pound protein after running

Last edited:

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m tired of the humidity and heat already, can’t wait for Fall to hurry up and get here, ready for some college football and hunting season. Wishful thinking but I’d like to see a heavy frost in the morning
    Fall? Pine needles don’t fall

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

You absolutely can work your abs every day. It's the only muscle group I've seen recommended for this. I did pull-ups every day three or four times a day for years too. Works everything from the waist up in less than a minute. A max pullup workout can be done without getting dirty, without changing clothes and without spending a lot of time. I had awesome results, but building the upper body is not conducive with distance running.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Word has it that it's hot at the outdoor shooting ranges. I believe it.
    I usually go once a week but haven’t been since I went on vacation 3 weeks ago.
    I keep thinking about going until I step outside.
    I’m going to Louisiana fishing in a couple of weeks. I hope it cools off before then.

Top Bottom