• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DGladden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    "When life hands you lemons....."

I was recently handed a lemon. I purchased this gun from a forum member recently. I did not do a thorough job of inspecting it prior to the purchase because a few days after the purchase I discovered that there was a crack in the front strap of the frame! I don't know if the seller was aware or not, this is not about them. I take full responsibility for failure to catch it upon initial inspection. Anyway! I initially contacted Kahr to find out how much a new frame would cost. They were very helpful and told me the cost of a frame replacement. After finding out the cost of shipping, repair and FFL fees for the return shipment (Kahr company policy) would double my cost for the gun I had to think on it for a bit.

It didn't take me long to get this crazy idea to chop the grip. This is a P45 with a factory mag capacity of 6+1. Kahr also has the smaller PM45 model with a 5+1 capacity. The crack in the grip was just a hair under 1/2". Modifying the grip to accept PM45 mags would remove the broken portion and give me an even more concealable gun! I had this discussion over on the Kahr Talk forum and one of the members there contacted me via PM and offered to give me a PM45 mag. I received the mag this week and this evening went out to the garage to make lemonade. Using a Dremel with a cutting wheel I made the initial cut. After that I sanded by hand with a sanding block until the shorter mag seated and locked in as it should. I still have a little more cleanup to do, but I'm very satisfied with the results. The first picture below is the crack. The second is the now flush fitting five round mag. Finally the third is the original 6 round factory mag that now protrudes a bit. Tomorrow is my first chance to hit the range since buying it. We'll see how it goes.
    955753a53a8596deffc21e2b8dba6153.jpg
    333f6b5554c1222178069ffd7164cb6f.jpg
    a6e28931bc2739f0f89c3f6080a2fa81.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    2 part plastic epoxy would have repaired it and been close to color. Most brands are dark grey.
    But cutting it works too. Right on!
    If you get real brave you could take a Dremel and smooth out the texture on the edge of the grip to mimic the factory smooth edge around the baseplate.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Glad you got the gun modified the way you want. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom