• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drc2777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kind of curious on the thoughts of folks here about this pistol, would y'all consider it a bad/good/great option for concealed carry?

I know the ammo type (9x18) is a scarcity, but I've also heard that it's pretty accurate.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Very accurate because the barrel doesn't move. I've had quite a few Makarovs of various countries of origin. The CZ82+CZ83 are the Cadillacs of Makarovs. The Polish P64 is my favorite for CCW. I EDC'd one of several P64's for like 10 years straight. Try to find one of the Russian Makarovs in 380. A good compromise (for half the cost of a Makarov) is a Bersa Thunder 380. It is a Makarov design with a Western mag release and aluminum frame and better trigger and they're available new with new production mags.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I would if I didn’t have any alternatives.

Good flat gun. Point and shoots great.

Defensive rounds may be extremely hard to find if not next to impossible.
    Gulf Coast Guns store has 9mm Mak in Hornady Critical Defense HP. And so does Grey Man Armory

Last edited:

drc2777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very accurate because the barrel doesn't move. I've had quite a few Makarovs of various countries of origin. The CZ82+CZ83 are the Cadillacs of Makarovs. The Polish P64 is my favorite for CCW. I EDC'd one of several P64's for like 10 years straight. Try to find one of the Russian Makarovs in 380. A good compromise (for half the cost of a Makarov) is a Bersa Thunder 380. It is a Makarov design with a Western mag release and aluminum frame and better trigger and they're available new with new production mags.
    I've also heard that it's the "AK of the pistol world"; would that be accurate, or exaggerated?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I've also heard that it's the "AK of the pistol world"; would that be accurate, or exaggerated?
    A lot of jamming is caused by moving parts, and one of the biggest culprits is the tilting barrel of most semi auto pistols. The Makarov doesn't have that problem with its fixed barrel.

Last edited:

Southalabama

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I regretted not getting a Russian pistol back when they dirt cheap. A bunch of the Polish P64’s came into the country a few years back. I snagged one.

Academy used to have a good bit of Monarch ammo but nothing defensive.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Glock is known for perfection and called "like an AK". And there is a 9mm Makarov barrel available for Glock

Last edited:

drc2777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And looking into it, the aftermarket isn't the best, whether with night sights or flashlights.

snowbound612

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gradually depleted my supply of cheap steel Brown Bear for the range. Couple of months ago was pleasantly surprised to find a large stock of Norma brass on the shelves at Academy.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have had a Chinese and a Russian Makarov. The sights are tiny and there are a lot of very sharp edges on them! Plan on taking a box of band aids and some Quick Clot if you do any malfunction drills! For about the same $$$ you could get a used Ruger P-89, Ruger P-94 which is a much better shooting handgun in an easy to find caliber. Yes they are ugly but they will shoot and are built like a tank!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    And looking into it, the aftermarket isn't the best, whether with night sights or flashlights.
    A few toothpick dots of glow in the dark paint works wonders for milsurp sights, without ruining the collectors value because it can be easily removed later. Ive found several lasers that will work being bolted around the trigger guards. Which usually leads to custom made leather or kydex holsters to accommodate the laser while mounted

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I have had a Chinese and a Russian Makarov. The sights are tiny and there are a lot of very sharp edges on them! Plan on taking a box of band aids and some Quick Clot if you do any malfunction drills! For about the same $$$ you could get a used Ruger P-89, Ruger P-94 which is a much better shooting handgun in an easy to find caliber. Yes they are ugly but they will shoot and are built like a tank!
    A file and a de-horning job... followed by some bluing, Duracoat, Cerakote or Hydrodip makes for a nice custom job if you take your time. Or pay for it. One of a kind custom. I saw a nice nickel plated 380 Russian Makarov at Jay's Guns in Crestview last year. I've had 2 buddies of mine do this to milsurp Star pistols. I've owned two CZ52's to receive such treatment. Very nice. Exotic hardwood grips are available for many surplus handguns too

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    They are probably ok, but I would feel better carrying a Glock or Sig or some of the other proven brands. For the range they would be fine, I'm just not sure I would want to bet my life on one.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Great guns. Just too heavy and outdated to be the best choice for ccw in 2022. Unless it’s what you have, then it’s the best choice and should be reliable and plenty accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom