• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EG1s

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hey y’all,

I was going through some old boxes of parts and what not and stumbled upon these two mags that i don’t know anything anything about. My brief google search doesn’t return any significant info on them. I know I’ve had them for at least 15 years, and vaguely remember using them in my step fathers m16a2. I haven’t run them since, not sure if they feed properly. Anyone around with any info on them?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 960D7A9F-2F19-4CD1-A00B-87968F4E7057.jpeg
      960D7A9F-2F19-4CD1-A00B-87968F4E7057.jpeg
      220 KB · Views: 85
    • F66B0DB4-E6FC-4D92-8260-0CD298A9D345.jpeg
      F66B0DB4-E6FC-4D92-8260-0CD298A9D345.jpeg
      229.4 KB · Views: 84
    • E5CE1B4B-0B8F-4D07-977B-200A4D4424E5.jpeg
      E5CE1B4B-0B8F-4D07-977B-200A4D4424E5.jpeg
      258.1 KB · Views: 93

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Found this, looks like they had a govt contract that was terminated early. Looks like they are either late 70s or early 80s. From a quick read, looks like the mags delivered weren't to proper spec and the contract was dropped.

EG1s

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Found this, looks like they had a govt contract that was terminated early. Looks like they are either late 70s or early 80s. From a quick read, looks like the mags delivered weren't to proper spec and the contract was dropped.

Thats a heavy read, but that was the info i was after. Thanks!

Does it have a CAGE code stamped on the side? That'll tell you when they were made.
    No cage code on either one inside or out. Followers have a number 7 on the underside, thats the only other marking

That was one of many manufacturers that had a Government Contract for mags. Probably better quality than todays builds.
    They seem solid, im skeptical about the followers though. Im gonna run them and see how they do

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    According to the documents in the court case, Laka failed to meet the specification requirements and the contract (originally awarded in June 1975) was terminated by the Army in June 1976. At that point, the Army went to Okay Industries.

As for the magazines in question, they may work okay, but the only way to find out is try them. If you are looking for a value, I would not place any more than a few bucks on them as they were not produced within specifications not many were made due to the non-conformance issue. They would be more of a novelty for someone and maybe a conversation piece.

EG1s

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    According to the documents in the court case, Laka failed to meet the specification requirements and the contract (originally awarded in June 1975) was terminated by the Army in June 1976. At that point, the Army went to Okay Industries.

As for the magazines in question, they may work okay, but the only way to find out is try them. If you are looking for a value, I would not place any more than a few bucks on them as they were not produced within specifications not many were made due to the non-conformance issue. They would be more of a novelty for someone and maybe a conversation piece.
    I was really just looking to date them, and learn more about the manufacturer. I will definitely see how they do, if they run at all.

SUPERLITE69

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update for anyone curious, multiple failure to feed on both mags. Maybe a follower issue, but I don’t care to troubleshoot further. Interesting piece of history nonetheless.
    Black followers are notorious today for having a FTF rate which exceeds the newer lime green and tan followers, which in turn have been further replaced with anti-tilt followers, which iirc, were originally supplied commerically via magpul.

If youre interested in selling, i collect odd-ball stuff, and would purchase both mags from you. PM if interested either now or in the future.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just put some flat wire springs and green Magpul followers in them and call it good. If you want to get real fancy put Magpul L plates on them with a Paracord loop.

SUPERLITE69

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If thats the route he decides to go, he’d still have out of spec mags. Not sure how much that matters in a practical shooter’s mind. YMMV.

But if he decides to do that, id still take the OG internals, if he sells them.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe. I guess you would have to know what was actually out of spec. They fit the magwell so there's that. The rest is just guts. I've picked up some really gnarly Colts in the woods at Elgin that are so beat to hell there's no way they're still within spec and with the above parts they run great.

SUPERLITE69

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe. I guess you would have to know what was actually out of spec. They fit the magwell so there's that. The rest is just guts. I've picked up some really gnarly Colts in the woods at Elgin that are so beat to hell there's no way they're still within spec and with the above parts they run great.
    Yeah, like i said, YMMV, ive run some gnarly mags, but ive never been in a situation to where ive expected or anticipated or had to rely on an AR to save my life.

I just buy and collect old stuff

Top Bottom