• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What procedure and what cleaning system do you use on your M1A variant? (I.e. down the muzzle cleaning rod, pull through from the chamber with an OTIS system, Other)

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    From the muzzle, cleaning rod with muzzle protector. Rifle horizontal and upside down. Gas turned to off position. No bore brush. Hoppes #9, 1 patch every 6-12 hours, letting the solvent do the work. Takes a few days until no green on patches.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From the muzzle, cleaning rod with muzzle protector. Rifle horizontal and upside down. Gas turned to off position. No bore brush. Hoppes #9, 1 patch every 6-12 hours, letting the solvent do the work. Takes a few days until no green on patches.
    The original M-14 Mil Manual stated that the rifle needed to be cleaned every day for at least 3 days after discharging since the rifles pores would take at least that long to leach out the barrel. (Food for thought)

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dazee if you don't mind? Which muzzle protector? Is it sized for Dewey or Tipton rods. I've been using the OTIS pull through system on the Mini-30. It allows for a nylon brush to travel from chamber to muzzle. But running patches is giving iffy results. It's okay for Mini-30 accuracy, but it appears that a short barreled M1A is in my future. I'd be expecting/attempting 1.5 MOA so I'm not so sure about the pull through systems. Guess the Military is using the OTIS system on the M-14 DMR's, just not sure that it's the best? But it has to be better than the old jointed metal cleaning rods in the butt stock kits?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have no idea of the make, I’ve had 22 and 30 cal rod size brass muzzle protectors for decades. But Midway has Dewey and Pro Shot makes that look like mine in the $4-6 range.

Top Bottom