• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mi .30 cal 4809xxx Quality HMC is on the rifle. Better pics! Obviously a sporterized stock, just curious their value. Good Condition, some pitting, cleaning it up now, good bore, push button safety. MFG '42-44, Quality mfg 6% of the M1's and may be considered rare compared to others. IBM barrel maybe, Quality Mfg only the receiver.

Attachments

• PICT0525.JPG
      PICT0525.JPG
      65.8 KB · Views: 215
    • PICT0526.JPG
      PICT0526.JPG
      48.3 KB · Views: 244
    Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I guess I need mags and ammo or a value to sell...LOL Is this one they are banning from coming back in the US? Has sat in a closet for many years, guy just found it, I made him an offer and brought it home. 7.62x33 right?

D_Shane

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah its x33. Some of the sporters were "modified" to take other rounds, so check, check, check.
    Hard to tell alot on it without hands on, but it looks like a parts build, not one that was truely sporterized. Absolute best would be all original or course. Then the parts builds and sporters. The Quality Hardware receiver is really no more or less desireable in a sporterized model. A few were sporterized professionally, and were sought after, but most were kind of buggered up in the backroom. Yours doesn't look half assed, but it does look pieced together. Not a bad thing necessarily, many of the M1s out now are pieced together with milsurp parts. Crap shoot on accuracy. With the aftermarket barrel on it, probably better than average. Again check to see if its still .30 cal.
    From pictures, 250-500 without inspecting and with a magazine.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks Shane, by sporterized I meant a different stock, probably the wrong term, the rest is original. Most M1's are a combo of parts I agree, this one is a Quality and came with different mfgs to begin with. The worst I heard a HMC is worth was 650-750. I am thinking is is still .30 but have no way to be sure.

D_Shane

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    By the look of the barrel in the picture, it looks to be non original, looks to be a replacement barrel. Most of the manufactures got the barrels from other manufactures for assembly, National used Marlin barrels etc. Take it all the way down and look for other markings. HMC completes are 600-800, but sporterized and mil surp rebuild are often about half. You have sporterized and what looks to be a newish barrel.
    If only stock is different, probably closer to 500, but I suspect barrel is also. Quite a few barrel makers for them since the 70's, but the sights are not right... If original barrel and hase been drilled for those sights, that would also drop value, but I don't think it is an era barrel. Not a bad job from the pictures, I've seen a LOT that were butchered.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah I noticed the sights and you may be right on the barrel. I have seen IBM and ROKon(?) barrels on the HMC. I will look more for some markings. Thanks Shane, at least I bought it right.

Anyone have a mag or 2 and ammo to sell?

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, the front and rear sights are not military. If the barrel is marked IBM then it is probably a USGI barrel that has been altered/modified for the sights.

Also in the milsurp rifle world this piece is referred to as the "M-1 Carbine", your original nomenclature of "30 cal M-1" leads one to think of a M-1 Garand.

Mags shouldn't be hard to find, or very expensive. Ammo on the other hand, good luck.

I would also verify it is still chambered in 30 carbine before I shot it. I doubt the bolt would allow any different chambering but better safe.................

Rick

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks Rick M1 Carbine, I found mags are cheap and ammo is not bad at all, still would like to find local if anyone has them. Have not decided to sell or keep, it sure is a light and easy to manage rifle.

Top Bottom