• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riverrat

Shooter
    Wife and I picked up our new handguns last night. I got the Sig250 sc and the wife got M&P shield 9mm. On the M&P i can't get the slide release to work no matter how hard I push it even with two fingers as hard as I can push. Is this normal? :noidea: :help:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Wife and I picked up our new handguns last night. I got the Sig250 sc and the wife got M&P shield 9mm. On the M&P i can't get the slide release to work no matter how hard I push it even with two fingers as hard as I can push. Is this normal? :noidea: :help:

Is it difficult even with a loaded magazine inserted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I have not tried with loaded magazine yet was late when we got home but will try that later today.

The reason I ask is because my slide stop is nearly also nearly impossible to use unless a loaded magazine is in place.

Riverrat

Shooter
    The reason I ask is because my slide stop is nearly also nearly impossible to use unless a loaded magazine is in place.

I have seen where some M&P's when you insert a new loaded magazine will engage the slide automatically

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Mine use to do that. Where I would have to push down with both my thumbs on top of each other so I stopped using it and pulled the slide back. After my first range session with it (500 rounds) it would start to "loosen" up. Now after a 1000 rounds that has been put through it I can do it with just my thumb. I'm not saying it will take a 1000 rounds but hey the pistol is a virgin. Might just take some breaking in.

Little Jack

Master
    All my m&ps have had a tight slide release with an empty mag. It should wear in some

Riverrat

Shooter
    Mine use to do that. Where I would have to push down with both my thumbs on top of each other so I stopped using it and pulled the slide back. After my first range session with it (500 rounds) it would start to "loosen" up. Now after a 1000 rounds that has been put through it I can do it with just my thumb. I'm not saying it will take a 1000 rounds but hey the pistol is a virgin. Might just take some breaking in.

I agree and think I will tell her to just use it as a slide lock instead of release. Load the magazine and rack it.

Riverrat

Shooter
    Ok I made it home and tried a loaded magazine and it made a diffrence. I have decided that the wife should train using the manual racking technique because some weapons will not have the option of a side release but you can always rack it by hand. Training to do one thing that will always works just makes more sense to me.

Bowhunter1991

Shooter
    The more you use it the easier it will get. I had a brand new M&P Shield 40 and it was very difficult to release the slide with the slide release/slide stop lever. Wound up trading it for a used M&P Shield 9mm and the slide release works a lot better than my new one did. Just my 2 cents.

ksenter

Master
    A glock... Good advice. First thing most glock owners replace is the damn miniscule slide release. Haha

Latest posts

Top Bottom