• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I thought that I had added this question earlier, however, I couldn't find any reference to it.

I noticed that Scuba on his trip to Anniston was going to buy some Mil surplus 30-06 ammo. Does the M1 require you to use special 30-06 ammo? Or, can you use regular commercial 30-06 ammo? Does one try and get Mil surplus ammo because it is considerably cheaper?

Thanks.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Garand was designed to shoot M2 ball .30-06 ammo (150gr bullets at 2700-2800fps). Shooting heavier bullets or higher velocity commercial ammunition can create an excessive pressure curve that can bend the operating rod and cause damage to the rifle.

There are some commercial loads (even hunting) that produce ballistics similar to M2 ball. Or, if you hand load - you can make sure to remain with the pressure limitations.

The Greek Milsurp M2 ball currently being sold by the CMP is an excellent value. The supply is limited - so once it is gone...it's gone...

Chayce11

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I saw your post for the PPU but I’m too late. Just like when I opened this and was confused about the HXP at the CMP comment and realized I was just a decade late for that one …. I’ll just keep convincing myself that I shouldn’t open my spam cans just yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom