Looking to get into rimfire benchrest, and I have questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I used my 455 Varmint for the one I shot over the summer @ 50 yards...was sure a big time. It loves some Tenex...doesn't care for any of the different S-K Standard I have that my others like. The 457s performed well. I haven't had any issues with the 11mm mounts.

Is the Ranger the one that uses 10/22 mags with the Triggertech trigger and carbon wrapped barrel? That thing is feather light even with a suppressor. Them puppies are a little pricey...good lookin too. My buddy just got one and he is still trying to find what it likes.

The matches I shot you could use front support but no rear...I found it easier to shoot off the bipod than my Bull Bag for that. The Harris I have are too tall...wish I could find one of those old 4" Caldwells or the ones they used to sell at Wally World
    That may explain why I have a pic rail on the front of mine under the handguard. Was told the rifle belonged to a woman who shot in comps at some point. I've since taken the flaming pig off the barrel, I put it on, lol. ( one baffle can) replaced with short linear comp.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    That may explain why I have a pic rail on the front of mine under the handguard. Was told the rifle belonged to a woman who shot in comps at some point. I've since taken the flaming pig off the barrel, I put it on, lol. ( one baffle can) replaced with short linear comp.
    Do Comps actually help with 22lr?

Iv seen a lot of them advertised, but assumed it was like getting a cool bolt handle to replace the factory one.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Rimfire benchrest is basically the same as shooting they teach in boy scouts. It's all about breathing and trigger control. Most rifles will be pretty darn accurate, it's all about harnessing the accuracy. Take out what you got and go have fun! Stand out with a rifle no one else has.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That may explain why I have a pic rail on the front of mine under the handguard.
    may have been for one of the better bipods (Atlas). You wouldn't want to run that across a good bag...I know recoil isn't much on a .22 but rubbing from the rail would shorten the life of the bag. It's likely if to have the propensity to cant the rifle in a bag...you will be less likely with a bipod..IMO

I have had some ask if my Anschutz is suppressed...nope just a long barrel and close to sub ammo

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Do Comps actually help with 22lr?

Iv seen a lot of them advertised, but assumed it was like getting a cool bolt handle to replace the factory one.
    Comps ? not sure what you are referring to ? brakes ? What I've seen a lot of the 50 BR shooters use are tuners. guess it takes one one brand of 22 LR ammo and time to get a tuner set up correctly

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Comps ? not sure what you are referring to ? brakes ? What I've seen a lot of the 50 BR shooters use are tuners. guess it takes one one brand of 22 LR ammo and time to get a tuner set up correctly
    Specifically for shooting 22lr bench rest. Either a Compensator or a Break- I feel like 22lr doesn't really have a lot of muzzle rise as is. But I have never shot one with a muzzle device to compare. :)

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Rimfire benchrest is basically the same as shooting they teach in boy scouts. It's all about breathing and trigger control. Most rifles will be pretty darn accurate, it's all about harnessing the accuracy. Take out what you got and go have fun! Stand out with a rifle no one else has.
    You may also stand out because you will never win a match. This is coming from someone who shot the old BR 50 matches back in the day with a Grade10 Suhl 150 made by Tim McWhorter himself. You will definitely need a high powered rifle scope. Try to find a used Weaver 36X AO rifle scope if that much power is allowed. It will serve you well. Also, get the biggest, best, heaviest, front rest that you can find. It will serve you well also. Good luck on your journey. It can be a costly one, lol.

Last edited:

ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You may also stand out because you will never win a match. This is coming from someone who shot the old BR 50 matches back in the day with a Grade10 Suhl 150 made by Tim McWhorter himself. You will definitely need a high powered rifle scope. Try to find a used Weaver 36X AO rifle scope if that much power is allowed. It will serve you well. Also, get the biggest, best, heaviest, front rest that you can find. It will serve you well also. Good luck on your journey. It can be a costly one, lol.
    I didn't get any notification on all of these responses, sorry for the delay. I purchased a Bergara BMR on Friday, a Sightron SII 36 power on Saturday and about 8 different 40 grain .22 loads. I'm in it now. There is a meet this Saturday, I believe. But, if I go it will only be to watch and learn. I also ordered a rear bag and a fancy foam block for the front. Thank you for the info.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My local range has monthly rimfire benchrest events, and I would like to join in. Unfortunately the only .22 rifle I currently own is an old tube fed marlin 781. I somehow doubt it would be up to the task. I also have a fixed 10x Bushnell Tactical, that could be put to use. I went to Gunbroker.com, Mike's and Buck and Bass but I am not sure what platform to start with. Do I need to jump into a $800+ rifle to start with? What is a solid starting point for the rifle and glass? What other items are a must? I believe I need a 2 piece rest, but the choices are vast. Any advice would be appreciated.

Update: I purchased a Bergara Carbon BMR (still waiting for pick up), a Sightron 36x scope, various ammo brands (all 40 grain) and some bags. The wild card is the scope rings. The objective is pretty big. I will figure that out, once I get the rifle.
    An excellent source, but apparently no CZ stuff : (
    http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?html=about

As for ammo, I've been getting the best groups in my Ruger Precision .22 LR with Wolf Match Extra (actually produced by Eley, and Champion's Choice is the ONLY place I've been able to find it lately, and they currently have over FORTY 5,000 rd. cases! : ), and second-best with Lapua Polar Biathlon which costs TWICE as much as the Wolf (haven't tried the Lapua X-ACT yet, which is THREE times the price of the Wolf!).

I just tested from the new Wolf lot I got from Champion's and managed just over 1/2 MOA (a 5/8" center-to-center string) in my second three-shot group @ 100 yds. (maybe some lucky wind... or lack thereof? : ) Wolf M.E. beats Tenex in my rifle BIG-TIME, and I tried both the Flat Nose AND the Pistol Round Nose Tenex. Note also that I haven't tried Wolf Match TARGET which is $1 less per box, but I AM curious about what it might do.

EDIT: Just added an image of what may be my best on-target 200 yd. group yet. Target is a 3-inch dot; I MAY have had a tighter group, but more off-center... and note that shot #1 was probably first out of a just-cleaned barrel AND that the target shows shots 11-13, i.e. only THIRTEEN total shots ever attempted with a .22 @ 200 yds. IN MY LIFE at that point : )

It's largely up to the wind, from ALL FOUR quadrants, what a .22 does at that distance (haven't had dead calm conditions YET : ), which is why I've taken to setting my windage "zero" in a 40 yd. tunnel through dense woods (you can actually see that target just above the handguard in the Precision pic); I no longer adjust it based on my 200 yd. hits, which would drive you nuts anyway. Once at 200, everything is based on visually-estimated hold-over and windage offset, since I don't trust the adjustments on my CHEAP SCOPE, a Barska Point Black .223, which I went with since I already have one on a .223 bolt gun and didn't want to have to learn a new reticle!

The reticle indicates just enough drop for 200 (from 100 yd. zero) with a little cushion at the bottom, i.e., a maximum of 36 inches @ 200 yds.; see third image. I have the 6-24x40 IR, and keep it set at 10x so that the mils are correct (SFP scope).

Attachments

• Precision195cropweb.jpg
      Precision195cropweb.jpg
      506.5 KB · Views: 60
    • Precision_11-13_200yd.jpg
      Precision_11-13_200yd.jpg
      192 KB · Views: 44
    • Barska_3G_Image.png
      Barska_3G_Image.png
      99.8 KB · Views: 54
    Last edited:

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    DustyDog mentioned Champions Choice for ammo......good company. I ordered from them a lot when I was shooting BR 50.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    The Pensacola Rifle and Pistol Club shoots Rimfire Benchrest on the fourth Saturday at 9AM and at 10AM when DST ends. Registered matches are open to the public, you do not have to be a member to shoot in registered matches. There is a good group of guys out there. You might want to check them out also.

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sand bags and a great rifle.

You can go out with your marlin and see what everyone else is shooting.

I have a 10/22 I plan on taking out one day for fun. I need to decide on the scope.
    All the benchrest enthusiast at rimfire central are big on CZ's and 10/22's. There's so much you can do to the little ruger at modest prices. Ruger website sells performance upgrades for it as well as many others. Your bergara is a fine rifle. Right up there with anschutz IMO.
    good luck and enjoy.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    All the benchrest enthusiast at rimfire central are big on CZ's and 10/22's. There's so much you can do to the little ruger at modest prices. Ruger website sells performance upgrades for it as well as many others. Your bergara is a fine rifle. Right up there with anschutz IMO.
    good luck and enjoy.
    Rimfire Central is a good forum for those who are interested in rimfire. I'm Fanner50 on there too.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I didn't get any notification on all of these responses, sorry for the delay. I purchased a Bergara BMR on Friday, a Sightron SII 36 power on Saturday and about 8 different 40 grain .22 loads. I'm in it now. There is a meet this Saturday, I believe. But, if I go it will only be to watch and learn. I also ordered a rear bag and a fancy foam block for the front. Thank you for the info.
    You mentioned a match today....did you make it out???

If so...did you see...learn..... anything interesting???

Oh...by the way...welcome to the Madness!!!! :D:D

Top Bottom