Target Sports

Looking to get into rimfire benchrest, and I have questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    yep...it is even more important it seems...to shoot the condition with the 22s

ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I don't know how you are mounting your rifle...trigger hand with thumb over the top of the stock or running down the edge under the bolt lift. You might try putting your thumb behind the trigger guard and pinch the trigger like that. You can also use your thumb to check and make sure your stock is on the stop if you are using a higher end front rest. Assuming you have rear support of course.
    I've been shooting it traditionally. My new trigger arrives today and it should be light enough to do the pinch technique.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know how you are mounting your rifle...trigger hand with thumb over the top of the stock or running down the edge under the bolt lift. You might try putting your thumb behind the trigger guard and pinch the trigger like that. You can also use your thumb to check and make sure your stock is on the stop if you are using a higher end front rest. Assuming you have rear support of course.
    Mine is in an aluminum MDT chassis so I don't think it's possible to pinch the trigger as you described but I will try to.

ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So in competition do you actually cradle-shoulder the rifle or does it sit in a rest??
    I am using a harris bipod and a rear bag with ears. I am all over the rifle.

I hit a major speed bump tonight. I had to take the rifle to the doctor. I fouled up the trigger install. Hopefully my smith can get her back into functional condition ASAP.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mine is in an aluminum MDT chassis so I don't think it's possible to pinch the trigger as you described but I will try to.
    no..but it should have a spot for your thumb to rest on instead of behind the grip

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Spend as much as you can afford, and them some some on the front rest. It is Critical shooting those kind of targets.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I am using a harris bipod and a rear bag with ears. I am all over the rifle.

I hit a major speed bump tonight. I had to take the rifle to the doctor. I fouled up the trigger install. Hopefully my smith can get her back into functional condition ASAP.
    Get that thing up and going again??

ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah, my gun smith Bob got her put back together. I reached out to the trigger manufacturer and they are making everything right and sending me a new trigger with the safety lever already installed.
    I went to the range twice last weekend. I met a fellow rimfire benchrest addict, named Chris. He gave me a few pointers and ammo recommendations. I have my ammo narrowed down to 3 brands that do really well in my BMR. My biggest remaining issue is the wind, it is kicking my butt.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Here is a good example of how the wind effects my shooting. These are 10 shot groups at 50 yds, same ammo, same rifle, same day, on an ARA Unlimited Target.

First pic shows a group in steady 6 to 8 mph wind......second pic shows a group in a wind that was change a lot 2 to 15 mph. Both winds were from the same direction.

20221012_175545.jpg

20221012_175505.jpg

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Yeah, my gun smith Bob got her put back together. I reached out to the trigger manufacturer and they are making everything right and sending me a new trigger with the safety lever already installed.
    I went to the range twice last weekend. I met a fellow rimfire benchrest addict, named Chris. He gave me a few pointers and ammo recommendations. I have my ammo narrowed down to 3 brands that do really well in my BMR. My biggest remaining issue is the wind, it is kicking my butt.
    Always good to meet shooters that are willing to help!!

If and when you get ready for wind flags.......Graham Wind Flags are the absolute best that I've tried.

ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Here is a good example of how the wind effects my shooting. These are 10 shot groups at 50 yds, same ammo, same rifle, same day, on an ARA Unlimited Target.

First pic shows a group in steady 6 to 8 mph wind......second pic shows a group in a wind that was change a lot 2 to 15 mph. Both winds were from the same direction.

View attachment 188743
    View attachment 188744
    I haven't invested in flags yet. I am saving for a front rest with windage adjustment. Flags will come next next.

Top Bottom