APOD Firearms

Looking to get into rimfire benchrest, and I have questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My local range has monthly rimfire benchrest events, and I would like to join in. Unfortunately the only .22 rifle I currently own is an old tube fed marlin 781. I somehow doubt it would be up to the task. I also have a fixed 10x Bushnell Tactical, that could be put to use. I went to Gunbroker.com, Mike's and Buck and Bass but I am not sure what platform to start with. Do I need to jump into a $800+ rifle to start with? What is a solid starting point for the rifle and glass? What other items are a must? I believe I need a 2 piece rest, but the choices are vast. Any advice would be appreciated.

Update: I purchased a Bergara Carbon BMR (still waiting for pick up), a Sightron 36x scope, various ammo brands (all 40 grain) and some bags. The wild card is the scope rings. The objective is pretty big. I will figure that out, once I get the rifle.

Attachments

• 16637960926705785118602743839137.jpg
      16637960926705785118602743839137.jpg
      764 KB · Views: 62
    Last edited:

ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sand bags and a great rifle.

You can go out with your marlin and see what everyone else is shooting.

I have a 10/22 I plan on taking out one day for fun. I need to decide on the scope.
    I thought about just spectating at one match first.
    I just sold my 10/22,with Kidd parts. Of course I get this bug now.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    CZ457 definitely a good one. Target just left of where I'm aiming is 5 rounds Eley Club at 60 yards. Had less than 100 rounds through the barrel at that point too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220913-185505_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20220913-185505_Gallery.jpg
      398.5 KB · Views: 88

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Bergara seems to make some good stuff. I have the 10/22 carbon fiber clone semi auto version. It feels like a toy lol. So mine isn't the best for long range maybe since it's semi auto. Fun gun tho.
    I hear many brag about thier CZs and they love them. They sound like a great choice.
    It's starting to cool down enough so I can start shooting again. This sounds like fun. I'm going to listen in and learn also, thanks

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the CZ 457 with decent glass will be a great gun for benchrest shooting. I decided to try the 50 yard benchrest competition at ERGC earlier this year also. I wanted to stay with an American manufacturer though so went with the savage B22 Precision. Turned out they sent me a BAD gun. Not accurate at all and would not extract spent cases. Sent it back to savage, they said it was not repairable and sent a new one. Lousy customer service, it took 11 weeks to get the new one. I've only been to the range once since I got it back a few days ago and this one seems good. I'm cautiously optimistic about it now and will see in a few more range trips. If it continues to shoot good I will be at the competitions.
    If you're interested in the rest of the story about savage see the thread here:

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I think the CZ 457 with decent glass will be a great gun for benchrest shooting. I decided to try the 50 yard benchrest competition at ERGC earlier this year also. I wanted to stay with an American manufacturer though so went with the savage B22 Precision. Turned out they sent me a BAD gun. Not accurate at all and would not extract spent cases. Sent it back to savage, they said it was not repairable and sent a new one. Lousy customer service, it took 11 weeks to get the new one. I've only been to the range once since I got it back a few days ago and this one seems good. I'm cautiously optimistic about it now and will see in a few more range trips. If it continues to shoot good I will be at the competitions.
    If you're interested in the rest of the story about savage see the thread here:
    I went with a RPR - Its been a great shooter with ELEY ammo.

Remmy21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went with a RPR - Its been a great shooter with ELEY ammo.
    I’m gonna second the rpr, mine loves lupua center-x. My best advice to see what your marlin can do is buy acouple boxes of different match ammo. See what your grouping. Gotta say some of the most fun I have had my local range was egg shoots on Saturday mornings.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I’m gonna second the rpr, mine loves lupua center-x. My best advice to see what your marlin can do is buy acouple boxes of different match ammo. See what your grouping. Gotta say some of the most fun I have had my local range was egg shoots on Saturday mornings.
    I liked mine so much, I traded for a second one. Im going to put the best scope I can afford on it and see what kind of ammo it likes. :)

Remmy21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I liked mine so much, I traded for a second one. Im going to put the best scope I can afford on it and see what kind of ammo it likes. :)
    I was able to get the best results with either RWS R100 and lapua center x. I would run a bore snake through about every 20 rounds. And for normal shooting with alittle over 1 ish moa with flyers I use cci standard.

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    I just started ARA competition this year. I started with a 10/22T and Ruger 77/22. I always thought they would be okay for fun competition. But you will soon find out about factory triggers just don cut it. I changed the trigger on the 10/22 and changed springs/sear on the 77/22. I’ll see how it goes. As for ammo, try moderately priced Eley,SK, or RWS.
    I shot off a Harris bipod, I don’t recommend it.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I just started ARA competition this year. I started with a 10/22T and Ruger 77/22. I always thought they would be okay for fun competition. But you will soon find out about factory triggers just don cut it. I changed the trigger on the 10/22 and changed springs/sear on the 77/22. I’ll see how it goes. As for ammo, try moderately priced Eley,SK, or RWS.
    I shot off a Harris bipod, I don’t recommend it.
    - Moderately priced is key (Eley Target is my go to) but I have tried Tenex, Benchrest precision and a few others. I can't justify shooting ammo that expensive though.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Last thing from me, one big dislike on the CZ457 is, it's not drilled and tapped for a rail. It has 11mm dovetail. Your rail will clamp to it unless you just use 11mm dovetail rings. Mines not had any issues holding zero, doesn't shift at all. I used an Area 419 rail on mine. Around 100 bucks

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ARA at ERGC. I want to stay in factory. The CZ 457 and the Christiansen Ranger are the two I have my eyes on.
    I used my 455 Varmint for the one I shot over the summer @ 50 yards...was sure a big time. It loves some Tenex...doesn't care for any of the different S-K Standard I have that my others like. The 457s performed well. I haven't had any issues with the 11mm mounts.

Is the Ranger the one that uses 10/22 mags with the Triggertech trigger and carbon wrapped barrel? That thing is feather light even with a suppressor. Them puppies are a little pricey...good lookin too. My buddy just got one and he is still trying to find what it likes.

The matches I shot you could use front support but no rear...I found it easier to shoot off the bipod than my Bull Bag for that. The Harris I have are too tall...wish I could find one of those old 4" Caldwells or the ones they used to sell at Wally World

Top Bottom