• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt

Shooter
    I'm looking for a pocket gun. Right now I am considering 380's like the Taurus TCP, Diamondback, LCP....ect. If I can't find a used one in a couple weeks I'll probably buy one of those new. I would consider anything of "pocket carry" size. I am not too familiar with the 22 mag pocket guns but would consider on of those also. Thanks

911parrot

Expert
    If you looking for a gun to actually carry in your pocket I'd get a small air-weight frame revolver like a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Spl or Smith & Wesson 642 (if you have the money). Both are hammer-less and are very light weight. I like them because auto loaders have up to 7 points of failure where as revolvers are almost failure proof and don't really require much thought if a round doesn't fire (just pull the trigger again). Just my 2 cent and good luck on your search.

wildrider666

Master
    Stay away from poor performers like the .25, and .32. A .22 LR is better then both. .32HR mag is good. .380 is also minimal. Select the largest caliber you can use effectively and conceal per you dress minimums. You can trade size and number of rounds for caliber. Derringers suck in many ways in all calibers. What ever you get: put 200 rounds through it ensure reliability and your minimal training with it. Unless you are really using your pocket, get a thin inside the waist band holster unless you are umm.... well rounded.

Matt

Shooter
    Thanks for the advice guys. I am considering one of the naa mini revolvers in 22 mag also. Anybody have any experience with them or want to sell one let me know.

wildrider666

Master
    NAA are in the same group as all derringers. I would only consider one if I was dressed in a speedo and then I could carry a Desert Eagle .50AE as everyone would turn away. Lol

Stay away from them if you can. You will not like them after you fire them one time. It will hurt you and more then likely will not hit a six inch target three feet from the muzzle. It will be in a very minimal caliber also. Any gun is better then no gun but those are bad choices for most people. If you have a wife and it is the first handgun she fires: she will never want to fire one again!!! These first impressions are hard to change.

Just buy a small frame 5 shot .38 special revolver with a snub barrel (you can cut off the hammer spur to prevent snag if desired) and call it good until you want to move up the ladder.

Last edited:

armywags

Banned
    I am not very familiar with an lc9 but it seems like it might be a little bigger than what I'm looking for?

It isn't really any bigger than an LCP if you get a chance take a look at one.. If you are in or near Crestview I would be more than happy to let you take a look at mine

bkitzel250

Expert
    revolvers tend to be the best reliability wise, but i have both a Ruger LCP and a Kel tec .32. maybe i just got lucky but ive put a few hundred rounds through both without any malfunctions and i would trust them both any day. but like i said i think i got the good batch for both of them because alot of other people have had problems with the same models. pick out something that feels comfortable to you. reliability is the most important thing obviously.

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Look at the S&W .380 bodyguard. Very small but fits my big ol bear paws perfectly and it's frightenly accurate.
    I wear cargo shorts most days and I can pocket carry my Keltec P-11 9mm just fine but some have trouble with it like that.
    I tried a bunch of pistols in the 9-.380 range and those two fit the bill the best. Both have last round hold open which was a very big requirement for me. And the price was decent on both, which was also big.

McMagnum

Shooter
    I'll throw in a vote for the LCP, not that any of the other 380s or revolvers are bad. I originally intended to carry a revolver because they are almost failure proof, but the cylinder just proved to be a little bulky for the way I wanted to carry. I went with the LCP and am very happy. It is super thin. I carry in the back pocket with a Desanti pocket holster. It's no thicker than a wallet. I often forget it is there. Most importantly, no failures after over 200 rounds.

Al_Bundy

Shooter
    Hey I carried a taurus 650 (357 5 shot) revolver and a s&w 380 bodyguard. From this experience, I can tell you that you need to clean a semi auto at least 2 times a week as it WILL collect pocket lint and such even in a holster (as you should carry it). The 5 shot revolver (even if it is not an air weight or ultra light) will not go noticed by you. I've been out riding the motor cycle and had to feel my front pocket just to see if it was still there (I thought I'd lost it,it was that comfortable). Anyways hope this info helps you, even though experience is the best teacher. Al

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    The NNA .22 is good for a "get off of me" last ditch belly gun. Beyond three feet in a fast moving situation if would be useless IMHO. Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, or the Ruger LCP if your looking for an auto would work. As others have said above, A S&W J frame in .38/.357 might be the better choice. I also like my Kahr PM9, but for some reason I hardly ever carry it. Too many choices, but any one of them is better than walking around unarmed.

wildrider666

Master
    Hint: On an otherwise naked (any) pocket carry; cut a thin piece of plastic like the stiff kind on some note books. Cut to fit pocket but a 1/4 inch shy on sides and top. Poke a few small holes through it from the body side out. This will help the plastic grab the pocket material and stay when you draw. This item will break up the gun outline.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    KelTec P3AT..380, smallest, lightest 380 on the market and very reliable.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    The LCP works great for me. WR666 is correct about the 380 being minimal. Id also suggest carrying an additional gun with more fire power. Carry the small pistol in wasteband and larger pistol in boot or somewhere you can conceal it better. Small caliber pistols are made just to get the SOB off of you.

Top Bottom