• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spalmer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For starters, I'm a S&W fan and personally prefer shooting a revolver. However, my wife has decided to start carrying and she isn't comfortable with the 9mm S&W shield Ez that I gave her. She's fine with the mechanics of it, but says it doesn't feel right in her hand. I'm looking for something smaller and am considering the Kimber micro 9. I've never owned a Kimber so any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    They require a “break in” to be reliable - I believe they say 500 rounds. They are manufactured to tight tolerances

I know a lot of people who will not carry Kimbers for personal defense mainly because of the break in and not “trusting” it after that.

I imagine if they ran it until they ran flawlessly then they would think differently.

I would find someone with one and let the wife shoot it first.

My wife likes the feel of her Glock 48, and I just got her a P365 XL that she has not shot but does like.

Spalmer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They require a “break in” to be reliable - I believe they say 500 rounds. They are manufactured to tight tolerances

I know a lot of people who will not carry Kimbers for personal defense mainly because of the break in and not “trusting” it after that.

I imagine if they ran it until they ran flawlessly then they would think differently.

I would find someone with one and let the wife shoot it first.

My wife likes the feel of her Glock 48, and I just got her a P365 XL that she has not shot but does like.
    Thanks for the info Duckyou. The break in for the Kimber is definitely something take into consideration.

Spalmer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Personally those micro 9s are pretty snappy, 938 etc. I would definitely try and find one for her to shoot before buying it. Ymmv

ETA- I would look at the Sig 238, it’s easier to rack and has significantly less felt recoil than the 9mm version. Also I’d not rule out the Glock 42. I know they are both .380 but there is a big difference in my opinion when shooting them.
    Thanks for the advice. I just don't want to jump into a .380 since the ammunition isn't readily available right now. In the past I've had a few .380's but not Glock nor Sig.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Look into the Kahr 9mm's. Ergos are terrific, lightweight, accurate. No safety to fumble, the trigger is smooth like a custom revolver.

The CW9 is the entry level version and can be had at a steal. Good sights. One mag....which is probably all you need.

I've been carrying and shooting them for 20 years.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I will second the Sig P-238 and 938! They are lot more trouble free and don't require the extensive break-in that the Kimbers usually do. The Sigs are very soft shooting for a sub compact gun and can be quite accurate! Good luck!

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Only a simple mans opinion but a cocked and locked single action is not a great choice for a beginning shooter. Most aren't comfortable with it and wont carry it condition one as it has to be.

A ton of good da choices out there. Petition your friends to let you borrow and try before you buy. Good luck!

skipperbrown

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I can't tell you how many threads I've read that start with, "I picked the perfect gun for my wife, girlfriend, mom, auntie, granny, etc. and she doesn't like it, won't carry it, can't rack it, whatever." Take her to the store and let her pick out the one she likes and then let her shoot one before you buy it. Everyone is different and it will likely take some time to find a gun she is confident carrying and proficient shooting.

My wife picked a ppk because it was cute and sexy. She shot it once and told me she hated that gun. Next we tried a j frame airweight. She like it ok, but missed every barn door she aimed at and complained it hurt her hand. Then she tried a sp 101 and that's the one she bought. Simple, heavy enough to shoot comfortably and (fairly) accurately, but not too heavy to carry.

Kimber makes a good product. Once it is broken in and proven, they run fine. And the 500 rounds it takes to break it in are required anyway to get confident and comfortable with the gun.

Floorguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Don’t you want a gun that has a break in period? I like the micro 9 but mine is the custom shop Raptor never had a problem. I also like the sig 938 it’s a good shooting gun as well.

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For starters, I'm a S&W fan and personally prefer shooting a revolver. However, my wife has decided to start carrying and she isn't comfortable with the 9mm S&W shield Ez that I gave her. She's fine with the mechanics of it, but says it doesn't feel right in her hand. I'm looking for something smaller and am considering the Kimber micro 9. I've never owned a Kimber so any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
    I had one. I fired about 100 rounds through it. I sold because I thought it was too small. Might be right for the lady. It also had a considerable amount of muzzle flip with the recoil. I bought a 4 inch pro carry and I'm a happy camper.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Kimber has one of the best marketing depts in the industry . As far as 1911's go they are all show & no go , especially for a defensive / carry weapon . 1911 is not a good choice & less than Gov't size even worse .
    1911 is a good weapon if kept full sized or at least Commander , original caliber 45acp or 38 Super & it is maintained well . First SD gun .....hard to go wrong with a good 3 to 4" 357 , 44 or 45 revolver at least K frame size . One can tailor loads to shooters experience / recoil tolerance etc .

Spalmer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had one. I fired about 100 rounds through it. I sold because I thought it was too small. Might be right for the lady. It also had a considerable amount of muzzle flip with the recoil. I bought a 4 inch pro carry and I'm a happy camper.
    Thanks for sharing your experience

Spalmer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks to everyone who has reached out with their advice and experiences. It is good to know that this is a place that we all can come to get honest advice and share experiences. For now, I think I have enough ammunition, to proceed with my considerations for a new weapon for the better half. In the end it will ultimately be a decision she makes, but we'll indeed be more educated on what to expect.

Thanks!

Top Bottom