• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i got the hog hunting bug and while my AR-15 did an ok job i am interested in going a little bigger and being able to reach out farther. anyone got one they dont need let me know. p8208@hotmail.com

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You really do not need to jump all the way up tp the 308Win . . OR . . the AR large sized platform.
    There are plenty of chamberings that still can be used in the AR small platform that produce more power and hog killability than a 223/5.56. Cuts a bigger hole and larger wound cavity also.
    The AR10 types are extremely heavy,expensive,and harder on your arms and shoulders than need be.
    If you do endup choosing the AR large platform,also reserch the chamberings offered. There are about 30.
    I am satisfied with my 6.8SPC guns. They use a AR small platform,shoot some fairly high B.C. bullets,and have about 70% of the power of a 308Win. There are others also. Look around. --- SAWMAN
    3499DE26-286C-44F0-813D-0721B7E5E05C.jpeg

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i definitely want to stick with the AR platform. and my reason for going 7.62 is ammo availability. i got an uncle that gave me all i wanted.

i actually was pleasantly surprised with how the 5.56 did with winchester 64 grain hoghunting ammo

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Take a look at what Aero Precision has to offer in a .308 platform.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I got a really nice SCAR for sale that'll run circles around any other .308 on the market

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I disagree with the "extremely heavy" opinion. Yes, generally speaking, they tend to nun heavy but light weight ones can be built.

If you build, or know someone that can help you build, a reasonable AR10 in .308 can be had.

Shooting a 16" mid-length gas barrel with bullets in the 130-110 weight range also aids in recoil reduction.

I have several Aero M5 builds that are easy to carry and a pleasure to shoot.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This is a 16" build using a Ballistic Advantage SS mid-length gas barrel. Leupold 1.5-6 MK IV scope. I would say this rifle unloaded is about 10-11 pounds, not what I would consider overly heavy considering the punch capability and range. Feels balanced and usually shoots sub-MOA with Hronady 110 TAP and 168 TAP.

Here are some loads I made today specifically for hogs and coyote. I'm looking to duplicate the 110gr TAP performance by using the 110gr Z-Max. According to Hornady, it's the same bullet. Depending on which load shoots the best between TAC and AA2520, they will be going between 3150 FPS and 3350 FPS. That's hauling ass.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If shooting from a well supported position . . and/or . . not lugging it all over the woods as in a stalk hunt,you want a heavy and long rifle for stability.
    Case in point. - - -> do benchrest shooters try to build as light of gun as possible ??
    This is the main reason that I choseto stick with my 18" 6.8 that is >9.5 lbs. Shooting from the gunners strap of my buggy . . it is extremely stable. YOU WANT STABILITY. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If shooting from a well supported position . . and/or . . not lugging it all over the woods as in a stalk hunt,you want a heavy and long rifle for stability.
    Case in point. - - -> do benchrest shooters try to build as light of gun as possible ??
    This is the main reason that I choseto stick with my 18" 6.8 that is >9.5 lbs. Shooting from the gunners strap of my buggy . . it is extremely stable. YOU WANT STABILITY. --- SAWMAN

We're not taking about benchrest shooting lol. OP is talking about a harder hitting platform than the AR15 offerings.

Personally, I find stability in the manner in which I shoot (position/hold/support, etc.) and not in the weight of my rifle per se. YMMV.

For the OP's intended purpose, a lighter weight .308 build will do just fine.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Check out Gunbroker. If you want the cheapest AR-308, check out vendor STauction or something like that. I scored one last year for less than $600 otd. They are about $100 more now not including shipping and other associated fees. Thing is, it was missing the bolt catch, pin and spring ($12-20).
    The receiver was drilled and tapped for a threaded bolt catch pin instead of a roll pin. (This is good!)
    No magazine included and the nice15" M-Lok handguard rail sits slightly lower than the rails on the reciever.
    The main reason i didn't like it was my P-Mags would drag in the receiver. But that's because I am already vested in Magpul mags. I didn't try another brand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom