• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Interested in building an AR into a mounted platform. No stock. Maybe flipping upside down to use the top of the reciever for the mount and mag on top. Would also need some kind of trigger system like a paddle type.
    Would need a bull barrel for heat issues.
    Thoughts? Anybody build one? Tkx.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    back in the 80s when i was stationed at 29 palms ca. a buddy and i went to vegas for the soldier of fortune convention. we bought a kit to turn two ruger 10/22s into a pintle mounted hand-cranked(totally legal) 2 barrel machine gun. mounted it in the back of an old four runner. we would tear ass thru the desert walking rounds up on jack rabbits. surely something like that is still for sale somewhere. i say look for something like that.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Yep, sidecharger would work great. Just happen to have a spare from my chairleg conversation parts. Even have a cone "flash hider" ready to install.
    Just need the kns paddle and thick barrel, have a 15 inch tube type handguard, may need a vented one though.
    20220317_202621.jpg

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Thoughts on inverting the weapon to make it top feed? I don't see it impacting the action at all. Besides the obvious, mag in the way of sighting.
    Well, have you gave any thought to how most of these rigs we see lack plate armor to hide behind to make them 100%? I too was toying with this notion in my head a while back. I didn't think about top feed. I did tho wonder about using the top rail to hold a custom cut out AR500 plate with a peep thru slit and some side guards, then a laser to track the aim perhaps. In theory the armor is half the equation. It may help balance the added spade grip etc too. If you do see this thru I'd love to see pics when finished. Sounds like some good fun

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I might have an extra pintle and T/E, if you need them for your build
    Might be a good idea. Don't know much about the mounts and how it attaches to the weapon. My thought was to use the top rail of the upper as that would be the strongest part of the assembly. Thought about using the grip screw but that's just one small bolt in threaded aluminum.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Gonna build it on a sidecharging upper. Possibly frt or bcf trigger as well. Not sure on barrel yet. Ive got a plain jane 16 inch. Also have 15 inch tube type handguard and cone flash hider. May look for mg42 handguard or??? Sleeved barrel nut for quick change.
    Looks like I'm stuck with the $450 spade trigger, unless I can think up something else.

Reading now trying to figure out the legality of using a 7.5 or 10.5 inch chairleg barrel.
    Input welcome.
    p-18932-img_2008.jpg

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Gonna build it on a sidecharging upper. Possibly frt or bcf trigger as well. Not sure on barrel yet. Ive got a plain jane 16 inch. Also have 15 inch tube type handguard and cone flash hider. May look for mg42 handguard or??? Sleeved barrel nut for quick change.
    Looks like I'm stuck with the $450 spade trigger, unless I can think up something else.

Reading now trying to figure out the legality of using a 7.5 or 10.5 inch chairleg barrel.
    Input welcome.
    View attachment 219563
    If ya know you gonna spend already for the spade, for a few bucks more I see they have these options. Looks like it allows you to mount to the tripod further to thier center too. Plus looks like ya get a lower in the deal too. Looks more spacey also!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    If ya know you gonna spend already for the spade, for a few bucks more I see they have these options. Plus looks like ya get a lower in the deal too. Looks more spacey also!
    Saw those, out of stock or were never made past prototypes. The only one I've seen is the KNS gen2 (binary trigger compatible)
    I'm pretty handy in the scrap bin, may have to dream something up. Lots of scrap on the ship.

Jrfowl12

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Toyed with this idea years ago. Was playing with the idea of using a2 style front gas block/site post and using bayonet lug as the attachment point. Not sure how it would hold up with heavy/long term use.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If ya know you gonna spend already for the spade, for a few bucks more I see they have these options. Looks like it allows you to mount to the tripod further to thier center too. Plus looks like ya get a lower in the deal too. Looks more spacey also!
    I like that. It needs some type of reciprocating mount.

Top Bottom