• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Idoono

Master
    They need to invoke the Taft-Harley Act and while the cooling off period is ongoing they need to get the National Guard up to speed on long shoring. Then tell the stevedores to go take a hike. Automate the ports like everywhere else then release the guard. Do to them like Reagan did to the air traffic controllers (who really have a stressful job) and fire all their asses.
    Idoono

Diver43

Shooter
    From another forum. Not my words. Words of a dock worker

I'm a skilled operator that moves the same amount of freight that took 20 men pre container to load in an hour in one minute. I go to work and I don't know when I'm going to get off. I don't work a school kids schedule that most of the work force in America works and work under a different set of CFR's than all the other industries in America that is not to our benefit. Imagine going to work and not going home for 35 hours under the threat of being fired if you don't stay and get the work done.. your fine motor skills deteriorate at about 18 hours so you start operating on the other hemisphere of your brain and you got 6 men standing under the crane where you have to drive within about 3 ft. Of them in a 60 ton machine that steers backwards then your going forward and your sitting 40 high and sitting sideways. Sounds easy huh? We are not the evil union that hurts the company and drives up prices that the public loves to hate that's not us.
    35 hours? Think Osha would shut you down and no way your union allows that. And 39.00 bucks an hour average with benefits is better than half of America makes. Try tonguing our country for your greed? I hope you all get fired and replaced with people that want to work

SLTW

Expert
    35 hours? Think Osha would shut you down and no way your union allows that. And 39.00 bucks an hour average with benefits is better than half of America makes. Try tonguing our country for your greed? I hope you all get fired and replaced with people that want to work

Union environment was 16 hours max with at least a 12 hour break before next shift. I call BS as well. Also anything over 12 overs was double time.

FrommerStop

Master
    The " media" that no one trusts is telling us this.... I posted on the previous page about cost of living, etc.
    There is a big difference say in the cost of living between Port Elizabeth in Jersey vs getting the same pay in Mobile, AL.
    Yes it is a lot of money they are asking for. Ever see what the top executives make in some companies. It is an election year and now is the time to strike for sure when politicos are counting future votes.
    Maybe I should go stock up my freezer with some food to be sure.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I think if it was just that, more folks would also be backing them. When their greed comes before this country's welfare and the people's ability to feed families it is wrong. As said, they are free to find better employment, and I am CERTAIN their seat will be filled by a person glad to have that job, and those wages. IMO Unions are nothing more than organized crime these days..
    Less and less is what it appears at first glance.

Definiations matter. What is "automation" Is that truly replacing them? Is it truly a Computer or is it someone sitting in an office in a foreign country watching monitors?

How much did profits increase? Who controls the profits? Are the the shipping lines profit capped? Should they be?

I see no good guys in this. Just everyone trying to max out their take home. We don't bat an eye when the executive level does it...
    Since at least the 70's. When our elected officials sold our jobs overseas.
    And this is the real problem. the politicians that sold out the future generations for more money in the short term.
    Harold Dagget, the Union President

A few lifetime achievement awards for the Longshoreman President;

• Charged twice for racketeering
    • Makes $728,000.00 as President
    • Makes $173,000 as President of a local union branch
    • Lives in a 7,000 SF home on 10 acres in New Jersey
    • Just sold his 76' Yacht
    • Drives a Bentley
    • During one of his racketeering trials Lawrence Ricci (co-defendant) found dead in the trunk of a car, shocker!
    • Hired both of his sons, they make similar salaries

Biden/Harris could enact the Taft-Harley Act which would force everyone to work during an 80 day 'cooling off' period. I'm sure they'll do that to help Americans right?
    Again - No good guys in this. The boots on the ground I can sympathize with. The leadership as usual is likely to be trash.
    The " media" that no one trusts is telling us this.... I posted on the previous page about cost of living, etc.
    Exactly. For so many folks that distrust media - I see a lot of folks taking whatever talking points the Media puts out and just trashing their fellow Blue collar Americans.

Weren’t they offered $55 an hour as a negotiation and they turned it down? I’m not saying they aren’t skilled and don’t deserve a good wage but that’s insanity. I make less than half that and live an okay life. I’d be debt free and thriving if I made $35 an hour, I can’t even imagine $55. If they’re striking against automation this feels like way to push them into automation faster.
    I make 25 an hour as an 8 year Sergeant for the Florida Department of Corrections. I'm a Navy retiree and I'm a bouncer at a popular country western saloon.

I wish I made 55 an hour to pick stuff up and put them down. Probably be better for my mental and physical health. I could enjoy life more.

qu1cks1lver56

Shooter
    I make 25 an hour as an 8 year Sergeant for the Florida Department of Corrections. I'm a Navy retiree and I'm a bouncer at a popular country western saloon.

I wish I made 55 an hour to pick stuff up and put them down. Probably be better for my mental and physical health. I could enjoy life more.

You ain’t lying. And the crane cabs are air conditioned!

Top Bottom