• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrlullabye

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 6 year old I am struggling to get into shooting. he is just so small. I tried to start him on an red ryder but the triger is so stiff he can't use it. I was looking at the Ruger sr22 and it seems like it has about the smallest grip I have seen. I sort of like that Keltec p17, but it has a bigger grip.

Does anyone have a recommendation? basically I need the smallest grip lightest grip gun I can find. He is left handed, I actually bought a rascal for him before I realized he was left handed and I think the size is okay, but wrong hand.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All three of my kiddos have learned on a Savage Rascal. Two of the three are left handed. They just learned to operate the bolt as is.

They do make a left handed version though. An AR platform in a .22 is a great rifle for them to learn on as well. The adjustable stock is a great tool for kids to learn on. I would not worry about trying to make a rifle the lightest thing possible. Just make sure they learn to shoot from a rest type position. Light equals more recoil which can scare them off from shooting.

My children went from a BB gun to the Savage Rascal to a 5.56 AR and onto a .308 AR and 300 Blackout AR. For a pistol, they learned on a Ruger SR22 pistol.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I started pistol shooting with a Ruger MK2 when I was 6 or 7, and my kids started with the same gun at around the same age. My youngest was definitely the biggest challenge as he was small for age. I ended up getting the thinnest profile grips I could. When I taught my wife to shoot, she's tiny at barely 5 foot and has small hands, she actually shot better with a full size Beretta 92fs than anything else, so smaller isn't always better, especially as you step up in caliber.
    Also, check out the heritage rough rider, the grips on those feel super miniscule in my hands at least

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think there are some videos on how to drop the trigger pull on the red ryders. I pulled one of two springs on the smaller daisy they sell

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    @RackinRay Ruger Bearcat (mini SAA clone) got my kids started. Ray has/had a real nice Bearcat in stainless steel for sale with a micro size birds head grip. Moved my kids up to Walther P22's. Both are super ideal for small hands. Stay away from left hand bolt action Savage 22lr rifles. I bought my lefty little girl a lefty Savage brand new and she had trouble with the ergonomics

Last edited:

mrlullabye

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ended up going with the sr22. Saturday I will find out how well it works for him. So far with the smaller of the two grips it comes with it seems like it is the most likely to work for him as all of the pistols we handled.

Latest posts

Top Bottom