• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have had 2 experiences with Leupold in my existence here. The first one didn't workout so well and I have either sold off or opted out of purchasing any since, with the exception of this scope mounted on this rifle.

It is a classic Vari-X III 3.5-10X50 in a gloss finish mounted on my Browning High Wall in .270. It started giving me trouble 3-4 years ago. I changed from Sierra 130 GameKings to Barnes 130TSX and 110TTSX...still a work in progress since the scope will not adjust properly. I needed to make some scope adjustments and if I moved it 2 clicks it would move the POI about 1.5". I knew they no longer made gloss scopes and was hesitant to send it in for fear they would replace it with a matte finish scope. Well I did some rifle cleaning recently and took the scope off to send it in to see what happened.

The cross hairs were starting to get transparent in places, the adjustment issues and it was getting a little foggy and wasn't good in low light. If I have it correct the scope was manufactured in 1992 and the rifle was manufactured in 1994. Pretty sure that has been the only scope on the rifle.

The Repair Service Report states
    on arrival the amount of adjustment from optical center was up 5 MOA and right 15 MOA...nothing for down or left
    after repairs and before returning it was.. Up 25 MOA, Down 21 MOA...Left 21 MOA and Right 29 MOA

Service Activity:
    Replaced Erector System
    Replaced Erector Spring
    Replaced Eyepiece Assembly/Lens
    Complete Internal Inspection

I am pleasantly surprised...my classic rifle will stay classic a little longer. Scope seems clear now and the reticle is smooth everywhere

Last edited:

justapilgrim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have had 2 experiences with Leupold in my existence here. The first one didn't workout so well and I have either sold off or opted out of purchasing any since, with the exception of this scope mounted on this rifle.

It is a classic Vari-X III 3.5-10X50 in a gloss finish mounted on my Browning High Wall in .270. It started giving me trouble 3-4 years ago. I changed from Sierra 130 GameKings to Barnes 130TSX and 110TTSX...still a work in progress since the scope will not adjust properly. I needed to make some scope adjustments and if I moved it 2 clicks it would move the POI about 1.5". I knew they no longer made gloss scopes and was hesitant to send it in for fear they would replace it with a matte finish scope. Well I did some rifle cleaning recently and took the scope off to send it in to see what happened.

The cross hairs were starting to get transparent in places, the adjustment issues and it was getting a little foggy and wasn't good in low light. If I have it correct the scope was manufactured in 1992 and the rifle was manufactured in 1994. Pretty sure that has been the only scope on the rifle.

The Repair Service Report states
    on arrival the amount of adjustment from optical center was up 5 MOA and right 15 MOA...nothing for down or left
    after repairs and before returning it was.. Up 25 MOA, Down 21 MOA...Left 21 MOA and Right 29 MOA

Service Activity:
    Replaced Erector System
    Replaced Erector Spring
    Replaced Eyepiece Assembly/Lens
    Complete Internal Inspection

I am pleasantly surprised...my classic rifle will stay classic a little longer. Scope seems clear now and the reticle is smooth everywhere
    Don't ya just love a happy ending! Good on you Leupold.

Top Bottom