• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm looking to get at least one 1-4x scope in the near future, but I don't have any experience with them.

I want one that has some sort of illumination so I can use it like a red dot in IDPA side matches. As always, I'm looking for the best bang-for-buck option, but I'd prefer to stay under $600.

I'm a Vortex fanboy, so their Viper PST is on my radar. Other than that, I'm in the dark.

I'm looking for any experience, good or bad.

Thanks!

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm interested in opinions as well. My old eyes need all the magnification I can get. But for you young bucks with good vision, why would you choose a 1x4 scope over a red dot with a magnifier?

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just recently picked up a Leupold 1.25x4 VX-R Patrol with the Fire Dot and so far I love it. Super clear glass and even though its a 1.25, its very easy to shoot with both eyes open.

I was down to two choices between the PST and the VX-R, but after reading a shit ton of reviews I settled on the VX-R. Ive read great things about both optics, but decided on the Leupold because they said the red dot was brighter and that the PST dot was harder to pick up on a bright, sunny day. No problem at all with the VXR. Another good thing about the VXR is if you forget to turn the red dot off, it automatically shuts off if the rifle sits motionless for like 5 mins. As soon as you grab the rifle or move it, it turns back on. If you manually turn it off, when you turn it back on it is set to the brightness level that it was on before. I dont think you could go wrong with either optic though.

2014-08-05_19-13-08_187.jpg
    2014-08-05_19-15-26_939.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-08-05_19-13-08_187.jpg
      2014-08-05_19-13-08_187.jpg
      138.5 KB · Views: 421
    • 2014-08-05_19-15-26_939.jpg
      2014-08-05_19-15-26_939.jpg
      100.3 KB · Views: 397

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have its little brother the Mark AR. The FireDot reticle is pretty nice but might be a little thick if you're trying to shoot groups at 100 yards. I think that's the trade off between speed and (pinpoint) accuracy. Like the VXR the Mark AR is a 1.25-4 but the VXR is a 30mm tube where the Mark AR is only a 1 inch tube so I'll guess the Mark AR will come in weighing a little less. The immediate trade off will be the VXR will have more adjustment for elevation/windage than the Mark AR but for the philosophy of use (action rifle matches) i don't see that as a huge setback.
    (What is the max distance that targets will be shot at during those matches)

Target distance brings up the last point. I find the magnification knob on the Mark AR and the VXR to be PAINFULLY SMALL when you want to change magnification in a hurry. I keep meaning to look at Throw Bars and see if there are any [universal] that will fit this scope.
    For the money I have to give props to the Mark AR or the VXR.

If you're active duty/retired mil or LE, Leupold has a VERY NICE rebate program. You can get info on that from their Tactical Scope web page. Ya have to wait a while for the scope to ship/deliver, but the savings is quite substantial.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'll let u shoot my ar it has a Burris mtac 1x4. It's a awesome scope.

Oh yeah! I looked through it when you were at my house. It really did look good. I need to keep that one in mind.

I'm interested in opinions as well. My old eyes need all the magnification I can get. But for you young bucks with good vision, why would you choose a 1x4 scope over a red dot with a magnifier?

From what I've read, most people recommend the 1-4x over a red dot and magnifier combo. There are a variety of reasons: weight, FOV, price (if you go with a quality red dot/magnifier), etc.

I just recently picked up a Leupold 1.25x4 VX-R Patrol with the Fire Dot and so far I love it. Super clear glass and even though its a 1.25, its very easy to shoot with both eyes open.

I was down to two choices between the PST and the VX-R, but after reading a shit ton of reviews I settled on the VX-R. Ive read great things about both optics, but decided on the Leupold because they said the red dot was brighter and that the PST dot was harder to pick up on a bright, sunny day. No problem at all with the VXR. Another good thing about the VXR is if you forget to turn the red dot off, it automatically shuts off if the rifle sits motionless for like 5 mins. As soon as you grab the rifle or move it, it turns back on. If you manually turn it off, when you turn it back on it is set to the brightness level that it was on before. I dont think you could go wrong with either optic though.

View attachment 22149
    View attachment 22150

I'll have to take a look at that one. I never gave it much thought because I figured the 1.25x would be problematic. Thanks!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    To anyone considering the Leupold low power variables, visit Leupold.com and go the specs page for the scopes you are considering. You will find info such as a scope marked 1.25-4x may have a true low power magnification of 1.4x or 1.5x or a high magnification of 4x may actually be 3.9x. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, you just need the whole story. Oh, and I use a Leupold illuminated Hog Plex of 1.25-4x on one of my AR's.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To anyone considering the Leupold low power variables, visit Leupold.com and go the specs page for the scopes you are considering. You will find info such as a scope marked 1.25-4x may have a true low power magnification of 1.4x or 1.5x or a high magnification of 4x may actually be 3.9x. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, you just need the whole story. Oh, and I use a Leupold illuminated Hog Plex of 1.25-4x on one of my AR's.
    Yeah, if you want a 1-4x you definitely want a true 1x otherwise it defeats the purpose.

Cjones

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im broke so i get budget stuff, The centerpoint 1-4x for about $70 has been serving me well. Comes with mount and Circle with dot reticle, better than anything ive seen under 100$

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After comparing my Trijicon 5-20 to your Vortex, I think you are heading in the right direction. I got to check out one of those Leupold fire dot 1.25-4's and it was a pretty nice scope for the $$ too.

I like the trijicon 1-4's that I have, but other than the battery free operation and brightness of the reticle, I think the vortex scopes will probably have them beat and save you some coin.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In that price range the Leupold VX-R is hard to beat. The Vortex has great glass as well. I'm currently using two VX-R Hogs, two U.S. Optic SN4s, a Leupold Mark4 1.5-5, my only Vortex is a 2.5-10x32. If I had to choose just one of them to keep it would be the VX-R more than likely.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In that price range the Leupold VX-R is hard to beat. The Vortex has great glass as well. I'm currently using two VX-R Hogs, two U.S. Optic SN4s, a Leupold Mark4 1.5-5, my only Vortex is a 2.5-10x32. If I had to choose just one of them to keep it would be the VX-R more than likely.

vx-r over the US Optics? That's saying something there!

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    HI-Lux Leatherwood CMR 1424, has always served me well!! They are often overlooked and or forgotten about!!!

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    vx-r over the US Optics? That's saying something there!

I should qualify that one.
    I would only chose it over the USO because of the daylight visible dot. The glass isn't quite as clear, it's not quite as good at twilight, but it's a great all around optic that doesn't require you to get a second mortgage. It doesn't do anything great, but it also doesn't do anything particularly poor either, it performs "good enough" across the board; plus you can buy three VX-Rs for the price of one SN-4.
    All that said my two primary rifles wear the SN-4s. Everything is a tradeoff and $600-700 is right about where the cutoff is for really good 1-4s vs. outstanding 1-4s. The individual has to decide if small things like true 1 power, marginally better glass etc. are worth an extra $700-800.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well I couldn't stand it. After discovering a demo Viper PST 1-4x24 MRAD at CameraLandNY for $430 shipped and thinking about the rifle match coming up next weekend, I decided to go ahead and place the order. I talked to a guy at CameraLand who was familiar with all of their sport optics. He said the Vortex was really hard to beat for that price and the demo units were in pristine condition. He also said that he's started selling quite a few of the Minox ZA 5 scopes recently.

I'll let everyone know what I think of it.

Thanks for all of your input!

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I couldn't stand it. After discovering a demo Viper PST 1-4x24 MRAD at CameraLandNY for $430 shipped and thinking about the rifle match coming up next weekend, I decided to go ahead and place the order. I talked to a guy at CameraLand who was familiar with all of their sport optics. He said the Vortex was really hard to beat for that price and the demo units were in pristine condition. He also said that he's started selling quite a few of the Minox ZA 5 scopes recently.

I'll let everyone know what I think of it.

Thanks for all of your input!

Good deal, I like the guys at cameraland. They have really great customer service.

Top Bottom