• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tji

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    With the price of ammo replacement being what it is, I’m trying to think of alternatives to $500-$750+ days at the range. Anyone have personal experience with any of the laser training systems available in the market? If so, what is your opinion on them: good, bad, or indifferent? Some people seem to like the laserlyte, while others seem to hate it.

Thoughts?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Airsoft and paintball is cheaper and more fun and more effective given that there's a pain incentive to not get hit

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    There's a laser tag arena at 29 and W and also one on 98 in Destin. Yes, I used to drive to Destin on a weekly basis just for laser tag. I'd shoot live moving targets on two legs all night. And of course they would shoot at me. Different targets every 30 minutes. Legally. Good training! The tourists never stood a chance, but every now and then there would be a few military guys from Eglin that were already a combat trained team

tji

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Both good suggestions that I had never really considered before. I know they probably won’t offer the same training benefit as the laser systems that you put in the chamber of your real gun and use on practice targets, but they do sound like a lot more fun. Is there a good paintball place that you’d recommend in addition to the laser tag arena?

thanx

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Both good suggestions that I had never really considered before. I know they probably won’t offer the same training benefit as the laser systems that you put in the chamber of your real gun and use on practice targets, but they do sound like a lot more fun. Is there a good paintball place that you’d recommend in addition to the laser tag arena?

thanx
    Ive heard there's a first rate paintball and airsoft range at Southern Tactical in Holt, but I've not been there yet. Most will just get their own guns and gather up friends and neighbors on their own property. It's a great workplace and team building exercise, too. It's a good idea to involve the family around the house and "play" at running drills with the kids, just in case anything ever does happen inside your home, too
    Screenshot_20210130-033243_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210130-033310_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210130-033356_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: tji

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you are talking pistols,some of my Glocks have a LASERMAX guide rod laser installed.
    I find it extremely helpful durind training.
    Where is the dot during target acquisition vs striker break helps find and maintain the proper grip. It basically shows you what you are doing wrong. I always come "up to" my intended target. The laser dot (especially green) helps me in this also.
    Remember now,we are talking ( real world) combat ranges here. --- SAWMAN

Reactions: tji

tji

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks Sawman and Raven. Both good suggestions. I was also interested in a laser training system like laserlyte (where you drop a laser cartridge in the chamber and can set up electronic targets and cans inside your home to record your hits), but as I said, the reviews aren’t consistently good on that particular system.

Pappasmurf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I got a cheap version of the laserlyte cartridge and then a paper target. I downloaded a couple of apps to my tablet and have been practicing with that

makats

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I got myself a 9mm laser cartridge from redpointarms - it was on sale for something like $25, and I can say that it is really good to have it, especially with the current prices on ammo. It is very simple to use and the very first app (iTarget) that I downloaded for my phone worked great with it - even gives you audio feedback when you hit the target (like shooting a steel target), and shows where exactly you hit it on the screen. I am also planning on using it to zero in my RMR which I think is a huge advantage to be able to do it just at home. The only obvious downside is that you have to rack the slide to reset the striker before each shot.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I got myself a 9mm laser cartridge from redpointarms - it was on sale for something like $25, and I can say that it is really good to have it, especially with the current prices on ammo. It is very simple to use and the very first app (iTarget) that I downloaded for my phone worked great with it - even gives you audio feedback when you hit the target (like shooting a steel target), and shows where exactly you hit it on the screen. I am also planning on using it to zero in my RMR which I think is a huge advantage to be able to do it just at home. The only obvious downside is that you have to rack the slide to reset the striker before each shot.
    There's a lot of people who were sold on the striker design that are going back to DA/SA just for the fun of it. I read an article about it last year or so. It's all across the industry, with DA/SA revolvers, too, not just pistols. Less aggravation and better SA trigger pull weights and better accuracy, and in your case, a DA multiple strike capability. I love my Glocks for concealed carry and mag compatibility with law enforcement, but for fun I shoot my M9 and CZ's and now I have a Double Eagle to try out. If I ever get to go back to war, I'm bringing a DA/SA

Top Bottom