DK Firearms

Lapping receivers & bedding barrel extensions??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Anyone take the time to do this? Not all that costly, and I'm at that stage in my 6.5cm build. New DB-10 upper with BA barrel, my fitment is a tad loose. In my noob mind, that could be the make or break point of accuracy potential in a build. Any advice or opinions? Midway has the tool on sale for $24. (AR-15 as well)

Slickshot223

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take the time to true the face of the upper receiver!! Make sure you tighten to spec!! You may need to get spacer washers to make the gas tube line up!!

Slickshot223

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take the time to true the face of the upper receiver!! Make sure you tighten to spec!! You may need to get spacer washers to make the gas tube line up!!
    Also neverceeze
    never seize on barrel nut is a must!!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been using nickel-graf. I went ahead and ordered 2 lapping tools today, 556 & 308
    Now there is a school of thought that the anodized coating on aluminum shouldn't be removed as it is harder than the untreated surface of the original aluminium. But since the area of the upper receiver and barrel extension isn't supposed to be a moving part, it shouldn't wear. So 100 percent true contact can only aid precision. Yet, the compound you use to bed the barrel extension will be within the area that absorbs the most amount of heat related stress. Not really relavant at slow fire competition rates of fire, but dumping that 30 round mag and slamming home another? Well perhaps a bedding compound that is heat tolerant would be prudent? But since AR's are the bain of my existence, and I am far more familiar with firearms used on the USMC Precision Small Arms Course of Fire. Perhaps some of the other members that are far more vested in AR performance would care to share.Most of the AR's I played with In Service had a 10.5 inch barrel and craping where you ate wasn't really a good thing. So as long as it spat out what it was feed as fast as it could every time it could, things were good to go. I did have a couple of informal invitations to cross barrels with the AR equipped AMU Boys at Fort Stewart, but even thier AR's didn't match up well with NM versions of the M-14, M-25, or the M1A Super Match, on their own range. At 750 yards, meh. At 1k it wasn't competitive, and after 1K against a Bolt Action it was laughable. So I ask the knowledgeable and ultra experienced members of the forum to lend you some of their skills. Otherwise you may end up listening to an Old Man that hates Plastic Fantastics! LOL. Any one of the skilled AR loving members that would like to take over? You are welcome. LMAO.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Now there is a school of thought that the anodized coating on aluminum shouldn't be removed as it is harder than the untreated surface of the original aluminium. But since the area of the upper receiver and barrel extension isn't supposed to be a moving part, it shouldn't wear. So 100 percent true contact can only aid precision. Yet, the compound you use to bed the barrel extension will be within the area that absorbs the most amount of heat related stress. Not really relavant at slow fire competition rates of fire, but dumping that 30 round mag and slamming home another? Well perhaps a bedding compound that is heat tolerant would be prudent? But since AR's are the bain of my existence, and I am far more familiar with firearms used on the USMC Precision Small Arms Course of Fire. Perhaps some of the other members that are far more vested in AR performance would care to share.Most of the AR's I played with In Service had a 10.5 inch barrel and craping where you ate wasn't really a good thing. So as long as it spat out what it was feed as fast as it could every time it could, things were good to go. I did have a couple of informal invitations to cross barrels with the AR equipped AMU Boys at Fort Stewart, but even thier AR's didn't match up well with NM versions of the M-14, M-25, or the M1A Super Match, on their own range. At 750 yards, meh. At 1k it wasn't competitive, and after 1K against a Bolt Action it was laughable. So I ask the knowledgeable and ultra experienced members of the forum to lend you some of their skills. Otherwise you may end up listening to an Old Man that hates Plastic Fantastics! LOL. Any one of the skilled AR loving members that would like to take over? You are welcome. LMAO.
    I hear ya! I've owned many battle rifles and just recently (in the last year) started into ARs. Now I have 2 pistols, 2 rifles, one being a 308. An extra AR-15 lower, and various parts, and I'm building a 6.5 creedmoor upper. I'm just playing around and learning. I do miss the M14s, FALs, HKs. Still have 2 Howa 308s.

Top Bottom