• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Ok so I have an adams arms upper in 5.45x39 reliable but a royal pain to find magazines for it anywhere ( uses ar mags of certain curve/follower design). I also have a psa ks47 which takes ak47 mags.
    Kind of curious if anyone else has either pondered the project or undertaken it to see how much work etc it would take to mill the upper receiver and bcg to fit/function correctly with ak74 mags in the ks47 lower with say the adams upper ?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Without doing some more rechecking and supplying footnotes:

Lack of mag support in the UPPER and the different dimensions of the mags make it difficult.

FWIW I have numerous NIW ASC/ Cprod 5.45 AR patten mags on hand.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Ok so I have an adams arms upper in 5.45x39 reliable but a royal pain to find magazines for it anywhere ( uses ar mags of certain curve/follower design). I also have a psa ks47 which takes ak47 mags.
    Kind of curious if anyone else has either pondered the project or undertaken it to see how much work etc it would take to mill the upper receiver and bcg to fit/function correctly with ak74 mags in the ks47 lower with say the adams upper ?

It has been done -

As to how it's done / how much it costs... Nate's solution would make much more sense :)

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Without doing some more rechecking and supplying footnotes:

Lack of mag support in the UPPER and the different dimensions of the mags make it difficult.

FWIW I have numerous NIW ASC/ Cprod 5.45 AR patten mags on hand.
    The big issue I saw was the material thickness around the mag in a normal upper would be about a mm thick after milling. Not a structural engineer by any stretch but seems a bit close for me.

where is your shop then cus I need to pick up a few?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It has been done -

As to how it's done / how much it costs... Nate's solution would make much more sense :)

There's a good chance I'd buy one of these if they released one. With that said, I'm waiting for some free time to try the Galil ACE

ETA: there was some significant work done to make that work

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm out of town until Saturday. I can check my stash when I get back but unless you want more then 10 it should be no problem.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    There's a good chance I'd buy one of these if they released one. With that said, I'm waiting for some free time to try the Galil ACE

ETA: there was some significant work done to make that work
    ACE is supposed to be awesome, some calling it the "ultimate AK." Never shot one sadly.

Yeah, apparently he tried to post details on the work performed but YouTube did YouTube things and took down the video when he posted it. Still, proof of concept if you're willing to fork over the $.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    ACE is supposed to be awesome, some calling it the "ultimate AK." Never shot one sadly.

Yeah, apparently he tried to post details on the work performed but YouTube did YouTube things and took down the video when he posted it. Still, proof of concept if you're willing to fork over the $.
    I emailed a shop that specializes in making ar uppers compatible to the ks47 platform since psa has a tendency to not have them in stock. So I'm also waiting to hear back on that.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I have owned and shot an Ace and it sucked. Don't waste your money. Don't believe the hype

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'd shoot that modified AR in 5.45 with commie 5.45 mags any day. And trust it. Forged aluminum is fine. And keep in mind for the record that I've never been a fan of the aluminum Plastic Fantastic as a service rifle in the first place. The right arm of the Free World is the FAL, the original Black Rifle made with steel, for decades while the M16/AR was still trying to get its shit together and stop jamming. Oh and unlike the ACE, the FAL got the NON-reciprocating left side charging handle done right, decades before the IWI ACE got it wrong

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    It has been done -

Yep just buy mags for what you got. Or sell it and learn your lesson about mag availability. I'd buy mags before modifying a receiver to take a different mag, any day of the week. I faced that debate with my first AK, a $250 new Saiga that only took proprietary 10 round mags. The aftermarket fixed that, but that special made 30 round Saiga mag was priced at $50 a piece when regular steel commie AK 30 round mags were selling like new for only $10, and if bought 5 or 6 then I get the surplus pouch for free. So I learned my lesson and sold that Saiga rifle. No way was I buying $500 in 10 mags when I could pay $500 and get 50 regular AK mags

Top Bottom